the di canio incident

The swastika/manji has been a part of japanese culture for millenia so they can do whatever they want with it that symbol as far as im concerned

Bambi said:
The swastika/manji has been a part of japanese culture for millenia so they can do whatever they want with it that symbol as far as im concerned
yep, but not with the context they use it sometimes. (there's a pic in my mind but I just can't post it because the site doesn't seem to work...)
they can use the symbol, but drawings of guys wearing uniforms looking just the way Harry looks on that pic is another thing imo...

okay lets try decipher this sentence:

"because that symbol alone, without this context means something else"

means a swastika without the context of nazism is not a nazi symbol?

"that same symbol with this context means this, there too."

That a swastika within a nazi setting means the same thing (and has the same impact) in japan as it does here?

is that right??
cos its wrong imo :D

Japan is an entirely different culture on the other side of the world. It doesnt mean the same thing to them. While europeans might find the use of nazi asthetics disturbing it just doesnt have the same impact elsewhere, nor should you expect it to.

Bambi said:
okay lets try decipher this sentence:

"because that symbol alone, without this context means something else"

means a swastika without the context of nazism is not a nazi symbol?

"that same symbol with this context means this, there too."

That a swastika within a nazi setting means the same thing (and has the same impact) in japan as it does here?

is that right??
cos its wrong imo :D

Japan is an entirely different culture on the other side of the world. It doesnt mean the same thing to them. While europeans might find the use of nazi asthetics disturbing it just doesnt have the same impact elsewhere, nor should you expect it to.

maybe so. but I still think depicting a guy in a nazi uniform to make him look cool is not just using the symbol. someone who draws a nazi uniform in a way it looks perfectly like they did, also having the smallest parts of it drawn, than this someone has to know something about its history and about what it was used for.
I know it doesn't look that bad to their eyes as to Europeans, yes.

by the way, as far as I'm concerned the swastika is drawn a bit differently, in the other way. erm, I mean one goes to the left direction and the other to the right. but I am awfully not sure about this, so I would be glad if you'd correct me if you know about it.

and I still think the swastika itself is not a nazi symbol, or at last it was not originally, because it existed before that whole thing and it's a matter of fact that it has been used later for these purposes. but I admit noone would have this in their minds as the first thought when seeing it.

The manji faces counter clockwise, but even the swastika (ie facing clockwise )wasnt originally a nazi symbol, they nicked it.

Do westerners who draw samurai armour and swords understand what that could mean to a korean or chinese? Or how about western cartoons and films with GI's and US air force pilots in them? Surely westerners must know that they firebombed most japanese cities to ash? how can we cast them as heros?

Im just pointing out that you're trying to project your own sensitivites onto a culture that doesnt have them, and i dont really see why they should. The japanese are barely aware of their own misdeeds in WW2 i doubt that they know much about what the nazis did or even care, they just see a cool uniform. If they were portraying the nazis as uber cool ass kickers killing the evil jewish baddies there might be a case to answer for. But using symbols and suits? gimme a break.