the different tone

morbid obsession

New Metal Member
Jan 14, 2003
Visit site
a certain composer of yore who was said to get his musical inspiration from nightly visits from the devil himself was said to have discovered the other tone or different tone which is created by playing two . the frequency of the overtones of these notes creates a third different tone. after his discovery he was offered the position of running a very large prestidious music school.my question is that i under stand the theory but i dont hear a third tone or how i go about finding these magickal tones(and no he's not talking about cords.)has anyone heard of this ?there has to be a simple formula for utilize this without breaking out the pythagoris.

I don't know if this has any relevance to the subject, but I'm thinking it may have something to do with it. I've noticed a funny occurrance when playing around with artificial harmonics at full distortion:

You know this classic blues thing: strike a note, bend it up one step, strike an adjacent note on a different string and then release the bend on the first while both notes are still ringing?
I tried that with artifical harmonics added to both notes. The interesting thing is: As I'm releasing the bend on the first note, then an third note appears - a couple of octaves or so lower - and as the pitch of the first one goes down, the pitch of the third one rises rapidly. It's really cool - sounds like a jet engine revving up. =)

'bane

Nope, I'm playing a non-floating bridge on my main guitar - and it happens with all 3 of my guitars - fixed bridge, non-floating trem & floating trem. It's difficult to do correctly with the Floyded Rhoads though, since the pitch of the other strings will drop when I do the bend.

'bane

An easy way to get this overtone, hit the D and G string harmoics at the 9th fret, and dive your tremolo... you can definitely hear a harmonic overtone...