The dilemma the fan never considers...

It's usually the bands I've never heard of that end up being one of the best of the festival.

I guess in the end it depends just what slot it is and how much you think the potential draw of A is over B, especially in light of the rest of the roster. Right now it's probably better to be on the safe side of things.

My personal goal is to see as many of the Metal bands that I have collected over the years live. I have collected so much stuff that this will be impossible, but with that said some of the no name per say bands that would leave fans going huh? who are they? i have their demos ect. Some of the bands that pop up that people dont know I have listened to or owned something by them for months sometimes for years before they hit a bigger label. Then you have bands that have been around for decades that fans dont know. The info is out there on these bands and hungry metal heads want to see them live. Book Em! I dont care if they are Christian, Athiest, if they are Power metal, Pogressive Metal, Progressive Thrash whatever If they kick ass thats all I need! So Much Metal, So Little time!! Book em Glen:headbang:

If you are talking about 1 slot than I think it really doesn't matter. But, if you are talking about multiple opening slots. then you have to start thinking about draw.

Just PM me the band names and I ll tell you what to do. :loco:

ou can't blow people away if you can't get them in the door.

Just saying.

You have such a huge window between the time you announce the line up and when tickets go on sale, I suspect if Band B is all that you think they are, you can build momentum for them.

Zod

These are both worded better than my post. After the numerous months before the live show, people will have enough time to figure out if they like Band B based on the strength of their recorded material, not the anticipation of a cool performance. The kickass live set might bring a few new fans to the table during the event, whereas Band A could actually sell tickets AND win fans at the event.

Sabaton is a good example of a Band B. How many of us had heard of them and were blown away by the preview in the PPX trailer? They went from "oh I think I've heard of them" to being one of the most anticipated bands this year amongst my friends and many others I've spoken to. So if Band B is all that, they'll win their fans before the event and potentially have a cool show (just because they've rocked the house before, doesn't mean they always will.)

Band A is guaranteed to have fans and could still pull off a fabulous live show too.

That is a dilemma, not dali's but....
:headbang:nice...:heh:

While Band A is tempting with the name recognition, Band B seems better. If they put on one hell of a live show and some people miss them, then when all the threads of "Band B's set was the best..." start showing up the week after PP, the demand for that band to return will increase (I'm sure numerous people already said this. Sorry, didn't bother reading every post)

Go with B unless A is Alkemyst, I trust what you pick, Oh and have Nocturnal Rites and Demons and Wizards headline.

who cares. I've been laid off and no matter what I'll be coming. For fucks sake, I'm seeing Vanden Plas and Primal Fear in one night, how can I be pissed? Also, just bought all the Suspyre CDs after listening, they sound awesome!!!!!

Hell, It wouldn't hurt my feelings if the first couple of slots were not announced beforehand. I think it would be great not knowing what to expect.
Apparantly you have a pretty good knack at putting these shows together. Do what it is that you think is best. After all, it is YOUR show. Are you going to make everyone completely happy? NO! You will always have a handful that think they could do it better. But you make most happy enough to keep coming back each year. I've got faith in you!

Sabaton is a good example of a Band B. How many of us had heard of them and were blown away by the preview in the PPX trailer?

I find this incredibly strange, since with my limited knowledge of bands, especially when put up to this group, I know virtually no one who plays every year, but when Sabaton was announced, I nearly wet myself. I would have thought everyone knew of them, since I had.

who cares. I've been laid off and no matter what I'll be coming. For fucks sake, I'm seeing Vanden Plas and Primal Fear in one night, how can I be pissed? Also, just bought all the Suspyre CDs after listening, they sound awesome!!!!!

I totally agree. If I may go back to last years showcase, in my opinion, Gamma Ray totally blew Helloween off the stage. I mean Helloween was good and all, but Gamma Ray brought on such a better performance in my eyes. They were the band that made the night for me. I think it is safe to say that you are going to have your dedicated audience at the show (me included).

You never cease to impress me Glenn, and if I were to chose, I would go with band B.