PPUSA X predictions

dcowboys311

Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Since the "X BAND for PPUSA X" threads have started already and since the roster for X will be announced right after Amorphis, I figured now is as good a time as ever to make this thread.

No idea as for slots, but I think that Evergrey, Cloudscape, Sabaton, Kiuas, and Brainstorm have a pretty good shot at appearing. And of course Astral Doors.

Good call on this thread, hopefully the other threads... all 7 fucking billion of them.. will migrate here.

I would be thrilled to see Sabaton and Dark Empire at PPX, but my GOD I'm sick of Evergrey.

Cloudscape and Nocturnal Rites, IMO, are two gems that are past due to be on the roster.

Power Quest would be nice, but it doesn't seem like those types of bands get on the roster anymore.

Happy bands. The fest has taken a turn towards darker music over the last few years and even in the days when the lineups featured a lot of fast power metal bands, acts like Dream Evil, Freedom Call, and Hammerfall were left out. Given that those bands don't seem to stand a chance to get on the PP stage, it would appear that Power Quest has even less of a chance.

Dark bands like Astral Doors, Rob Rock, Serenity (Initially), Saint Deamon, Iron Savior, Sonata Arctica, Firewind, Pagan's Mind, Primal Fear, Virgin Steele, Vision Divine, Thunderstone...? As opposed to the happy bands like Evergrey (I, II, IV, VII), Mercenary (IV, VII), Pain of Salvaton (I, III, V), Orphaned Land, Devin Townsend, and Into Eternity?

Kiuas, Sabaton, Morgana Lafey, and Nocturnal Rites all stand a chance. If Urban is back in Bloodbound... maybe. Brainstorm could definately headline one night.
I'd like to see Silent Force back, as they're the only band I regret missing from III that I haven't made up for. A personal quirky choice would be Powerwolf, but they may be too low on the radar. Dark Moor would be cool, especially after releasing "Tarot." And speaking of Tarot...

Turisas would make for an incredible oddball, and would shatter the walls of Center Stage.

I agree: Enough of Evergrey already.

First, the bands you listed aren't happy bands. Power metal does not automatically equal happy.

Second, here are the last few headliners: Amorphis, Iced Earth, Sonata Arctica, After Forever, Nevermore, and Evergrey.

The few before that: Angra, Stratovarius, Edguy, WMD, Rage, Nightwish, and four A-list happy power bands at PPIII.

So there's definitely been a change in focus, which means Power Quest probably doesn't fit in anymore.

But I'd love to be proved wrong. A headliner like Hammerfall or maybe a lower slot for Freedom Call or Power Quest would be awesome.

Malpractice, Evergrey, Sabaton, Draconian, Astral Doors, Orphaned Land, Mind's Eye (one of the few prog bands that has the catalog to be here but hasn't), Persuader, Zimmer's Hole, Kingfisher Sky, and Loch Vostok, Bloodbound.

This lineup would be amazing imo. But its also just some bands that I predict will be there.

You're absolutely right. They would tear the place apart. So would Equilibrium or Eluveitie.

Completely. Any of the three would rule as an oddball, they'd completely destroy.

I think this could be the year I get my wish and Morgana Lefay graces the bill. I hope so, anyway.

However, I think Tarot is very likely. They've got that Live DVD/CD coming out, and they'll probably want to do some support for it once the Nightwish tour is over and Marco has some time. I do believe a U.S. debut in Atlanta would be in the cards for so-said support.

Maybe Persuader, Falconer, or Dark Moor. Maybe Imagika?
Astral Doors is obvious.

For an oddball band...Wintersun would rip Center Stage a new asshole.

Blotted Science and Persefone would be nice too (and I think Persefone is with Intromental, so...)

I wouldn't mind seeing Pharaoh, Hammers of Misfortune, or Slough Feg one of these days.

Hmmmmmmmmm let's see:

Astral Doors(Of Course)
TAROT
Sabaton
VOLBEAT(I can hope can't I)
Orden Ogan(these guys have got to be there)
Vanden PLas(Main show, or showcase)
Sybillia (Showcase or Main Show)
Symphony X
Primal Fear(Showcase)
Falconer(About Time)
Machine Men( I plug them every year)
and the rest I have no clue, but those are the ones I would like to see

Happy bands. The fest has taken a turn towards darker music over the last few years and even in the days when the lineups featured a lot of fast power metal bands, acts like Dream Evil, Freedom Call, and Hammerfall were left out. Given that those bands don't seem to stand a chance to get on the PP stage, it would appear that Power Quest has even less of a chance.

I'm not seeing a decided shift towards darker bands... there have always been some darker bands in the lineup. It's just a matter of having already gotten some of the top headliner-level "happier" power metal bands. I suppose the 4 top acts of the main fest this year are not bands that woudl be classified as "happy" (Iced Earth, Amorphis, Jon Oliva's Pain, Riverside), but in a fest that includes Iron savoir, Elvenking, Saint Deamon, Rob Rock, and has Helloween, Gamma Ray, and Manticora on Thursday night, I don't think there is a severe shortage of "happier" material.

I don't know that Hammerfall really needs to play ProgPower... it seems like they can do reasonably well touring on their own or opening for another tour. I don't see why Dream Evil, Freedom Call, or Power Quest don't stand a chance of playing the fest. Also it seems like Sabaton has been gaining a lot of steam in the underground metal scene the last couple years. Also, all of those bands have played few to no North American shows. While ProgPower has expanded its stylistic horizons a bit over the years, I don't see any trend that would indicate these kinds of bands are less likely to appear on a ProgPower roster.