the dynamo open air 2002 report

opethpainter

the psychedelic servant
Jan 20, 2002
italy
jump.to
ok, ladies & gentleman. this is the story of my 14th of july. beware, it's a VERY LONG piece, but i hope you'll enjoy it.

the dynamo festival [www.dynamo.nl] was 20 km in the south of eindhoven, in the netherlands. i decided to find a youth hostel around there, in the town of duisburg (D), near the frontier and also close to the town of dusseldorf. the festival started at 11.30, and ended up at 22.00 with soulfly, but i had to go out earlier, because the last train was at 21.17, and i had also to have a 15 minutes walk to join the station.

ok, now here's what i saw there.

the festival was divided into 2 stages, the main stage and the tent stage. first, i had a look to the music\t-shirts\everythingelse vendors, and i have to say that there was no interesting music stuff to buy. the only cd i bought was a promo copy of the italian band Node, titled "sweathshops" [technical death metal]. the first band i saw was pain of salvation, and i admit they played very, very, very well. also, equalisation was amazingly good. i remember they started with "i'm not afraid" from entropia, then through other songs from the first 3 albums, then they played "beyond the pale" from remedy lane...

then, i had some free time, since i don't enjoy the bands that played after, and so i went touring the dynamo place a lot, searching for some good cd's [which i really didn't find!] or something interesting.

then, i saw the entire show of strapping young lad and.... my god, they were breaking the wall of sound, my friends!!!!!! devin townsend seems like an old crazy scientist who's playing with guitar [i din't say who's playing THE guitar], and i could enjoy just the mid-tempos songs [if we can call that mid-tempo...], because when i listen to a song, i have to find out a melody or something which tells me where the song is going. but strappings were so fucking loudy... hardcore is a lullaby, if compared to that massacre.

after devin's show, i went out [he played in the tent stage] to see the 2nd half of within temptation's concert. i can say i liked what they played, and also how they played. the singer was so beautiful, and had a so greeeeeeeat voice. sometimes, an asian-man appeared, to sing the death metal parts. towards the end, i saw a guitarist running towads the singer, and pull her away from some pipes from which went out big fire flames. yes, it would't be so nice to look to sharon [that's her name, right?] burning out on the stage while singing. anyway, the flames and the little pieces of paper they threw in the air some minutes later, were great. very entertaining, i must say.

now, i went again into the tent stage, where finntroll were playing. here i liked the epic and slow songs most, but i can't really understand finntroll's music when they suddenly change into black metal fast parts. not so interesting as i thought.

ok, now it's the opeth time: after like 20 minutes of stage silence, they come out to check out pedals, effects, sounds & more, and they disappeared for a while. then, suddenly they came, embracing their instruments, and started playing without saying a single word.

this is the tracklist:

1.the leper affinity
2.white cluster
3.advent
4.the drapery falls
5.demon of the fall

as we know, they played very well as usual, and mike was also moving & smiling sometimes on the stage. in the beginning there was something in mike's guitar sound that wasn't very good, and i could hera that damn friggin' sound so fucking well in white cluster. advent was 100% perfect, and during the ending part there was a breakerballs man after me who screamed something to the band. anyway, he stopped when the audience clapped their hands at the end of the song. now it was time for the drapery falls: mike said something like "from blackwater park, this is white clus...." :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D and everyone started laughing because of that lapsus. let's talk about a multiple orgasm to describe the effect of that song played on that stage. the beginning made me freeze, and enjoy every single second of that song. then as usual they ended up with demon... and also here something great happened: during the acoustic bridge which leads to the final part of the song with clean vocals, mikael had to change guitar [maybe because a broken string] but due to some according problems, he put away the new gtr, and went on singing, and on the very final part of the show, he sang like do-do-do da-da-da the final acoustic melody of the song, playing with his voice what he should've played with the guitar. great, great, great.

now, you know i am the opethpainter, and i made some drawings inspired to opeth songs. i had made a copy of my last one, for the song credence, and i wanted to threw it to them at the end of the show, but they went away almost istantaneously. so, i was very lucky, when i saw for a second mike entering 2 steps in the dynamo field, so i managed to give him my drawings, and get a signature on a postcard which i sent myself here in italy [still not arrived yet]. mission: complete.

after that i just walked around the dynamo, spending my last minutes there going without a direction, and sometimes listening to children of bodom, who i admit kick the ass on stage, playing great melodies at the speed of light.

that was my dynamo. i don't like festivals so much, i prefer 2-3 bands shows which i can enjoy from the beginning to the end, in small places & with not so many people around. anyway, that was a great experience, and was only the beginning of an INCREDIBLE week. in these days, i really don't believe what happened to me, even if it's all true.

so, let me add something which doesn't lead with the dynamo, but with the music we adore.

2 days after i was in lubeck (D), a beautiful german town 20 km far from the baltic sea. i entered one of the many music shops in the city and, you know, in germany you can listen to the cd's before you buy them. here in italy you have to buy them without having an idea of what they contain. anyway, i found this beautiful girl who was listening to a pair of Muse cd's, and i went close to her to listen to the last Pain of Salvation's record and to Arcturus. she was there with a little baby who was breaking balls to her, and sometimes also to me. so it happened we started talking, and so i went taking Lightbulb Sun by PT and made her listen that masterpiece. by the gods, she was amazed!!!!!
then, i had time to know her better, from every point of view we can say, especially the day after, when we went to the sea. the scene reminded me [and i also said this to her] the cover of the last Anathema best-seller, A fine day to exit. today, i have come home, and the Temporary Peace remindd me of those timeless hours spent just hearing the waves crushing on the sand and watching the sky and finally kissing with passion. i just needed that!

thank you for your patience, opethfans. now let's see your comments.

bye.

I was there as well with my little brother and a dutch friend. Opeth were indeed amazing and that "White Cl..." mistake was quite funny. Only negative things I have to say about the show were the stupid nu-metal kids at the front who started to mosh during advent and were loud during the quiet parts.

The other bands I quite enjoyed were Finntroll, who put on a really fun show, and Pain of Salvation, who also had a good performance. Aside from these two and Opeth, Dynamo was a bit ho-hum, perhaps excepting Hermano (The band of the ex-Kyuss vocalist) and Children of Bodom (To some degree.) I was sorely dissapointed in both Strapping Young Lad and Children of Bodom and left halfway during both shows to go CD hunting. I picked up the following (I wish I'd bought much more as I had plenty of money to spare...Oh well, guess I'm just a bit miserly) :
Vader - Revelations
Empyrium - Weiland
Diabolical Masquerade - Death's Design
Edge of Sanity - Crimson

Oh, and finally, I have to say that the Hot-dogs they sold there were fucking amazing... Well worth the trip alone.

Originally posted by opethpainter
i managed to give him my drawings, and get a signature on a postcard which i sent myself here in italy [still not arrived yet]. mission: complete.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You got Mike's signature, and you SENT IT
AWAY!!?!?!? *Faints* Yeah, you sent it to yourself, but
what if it gets lost in the mail or something!!!?? Damn!!!
hehe....

Anyways, sounds like a great day. Wish I was there to
see Opeth, COB, Finntroll and Within Temptation :eek:)
Well, thanks for finally giving us the whole story :eek:)

Originally posted by opethpainter
sometimes, an asian-man appeared, to sing the death metal parts. towards the end, i saw a guitarist running towads the singer, and pull her away from some pipes from which went out big fire flames. yes, it would't be so nice to look to sharon [that's her name, right?] burning out on the stage while singing.
This Asian man was Orphanage's vocalist George Oosthoek, he's a good friend of WT's and also made a guest appearance on WT's debut album "Enter".

It would have been "nice" to see Sharon (yes, that is her name) burn on stage???!!! You sadist!

By the way, I posted my Dynamo story on the "coming home from dynamo..." thread (http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/t38262/s.html), I thought you would too, why did you create this new thread?

well, i wrote "would't", and i missed an "n", so i am not so sadist as it could seem.

i posted a new thread because my story was so long... anyway, if you think i am wasting threads, i will mind it in the future.

oh, i made also some photos, and today i'll be looking at them, so you'll be able to see them in the next days.

and, i see just 3 replies after a post 100+ lines, but i see some indifference towards everything concerns dynamo. so i post a new thread to be sure i am sharing something with the opethfans

bye