The Eagles have finally done it....

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
...they have priced themselves out of the market.

I cannot think of too many other bands that have done that recently as most realize they need to peel back the prices to keep fans coming to the shows.

Atlanta has always been a hotbed for Eagles shows. When they first reformed, they sold-out Gwinnett Arena instantly. The next time around, they sold-out the Verizon Amphitheater instantly. They added another show and sold that one out in a day as well. They then proceed to sell out Piedmont Park the last time here with a huge crowd. They had some of the highest dollar prices for shows in each of their respective years and were still successful.

I was shocked when I saw the prices this year. Van Halen looks like a bargain compared to this:

All seats (including ticketmaster fees): $204.
Lawn seats (including ticketmaster fees): $77.

Pre-sale Amex tickets went on sale 9 days ago. Tickets to the public went on sale Saturday morning. Lawn seats = sold out in an hour. However, plenty of seats are still available now. I'm not saying it will not sell-out eventually. However, I hope their egos took a bit of a blow. The one good thing to come out of this is that the scalpers are taking a *beating* on this one.

Needless to say, Jen & I shall be enjoying the show from the grass this year.

I don't go to concerts anymore because of the ticket prices. i am traveling to see MARILLION this summer in Philly and that ticket was only $50, which is very much worth it. Everyone else asking for anything over $100 is insane. also, lawn "seats" should be no more than $30 in my book.

"Greed is good, greed is necessary"

just read that, PP to me in not a "concert" it is an event. so naturally worth the ticket price. wanted to clear that up.

The one good thing to come out of this is that the scalpers are taking a *beating* on this one.

Wow. That's ridiculous... and a damn shame. I'm sure a lot of fans are just not going to be able to justify that price, especially in today's economy. Glad the scalpers will feel the pain on this one.

Too bad. I'd love to see them again, although in my opinion they lost something when they kicked Don Felder out of the band. I passed on Skynyrd recently because tickets were $100 each - far too much for one band plus some opener I wouldn't go see for $5. Are the bands behind this trend? Or the promoters? Or are they working together to squeeze every last nickel they can out of the fans?

I don't go to concerts anymore because of the ticket prices.

Really? This statement makes sense from someone whose knowledge of music ends with what they hear on the radio, but for someone as deep into the underground as you, it's not like you don't know about cheaper concerts.

Expensive shows are expensive. Cheap shows aren't. The cool thing is that expensive shows really tend to suck anyway, with a bunch of old rich people sitting and watching the old rich people on stage going through the motions, while cheap shows can be pretty awesome.

Average price I've paid per concert, including all fees:
2010 - $17.85 (69 concerts)
2011 - $18.41 (74 concerts)

The highest I paid in those two years ($45) was still $32 less than a lawn ticket for this Eagles show, and for the price of a seat, I could see ELEVEN other shows at my average price. Even if I was a huge Eagles fan, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be 11 times better than any of those other shows.

Neil

This is why I usually never go to big shows. It is never worth the money I pay. I rather spend 5 to 10 bucks and see a smaller show and have more fun. That ticket price is crazy.

What drives me nuts are the people who complain about ticket prices but also then spend the same amount of money on beer at the same show without batting an eye or buy a few shirts at 45 bucks.

I feel the same about arena vs smaller shows. For example, I love to see Iron Maiden, but I really get very little enjoyment out of sitting way in the back where I need binoculars to really see anything. That's on top of the usually high arena prices, hassles of parking, etc. Could be fun if you have a group going, but I don't usually.

I have seen a lot of the reunion acts cashing in recently. I was pretty disgusted when the fee to see Styx at a county fair was $80. I won't even go into the Genesis "reunion" shows, where they were auctioning off any decent seat.

I personally wouldn't pay anything to see the Eagles, since I can't stand the Eagles, but those are some insane prices. I'd hope it backfires on them, but it probably won't.

I was pretty disgusted when the fee to see Styx at a county fair was $80.

When was this? When DeYoung was back in the 90's?

I saw them in 2010 at a small auditorium and the close floor seats were maybe $55. At the 2011 SC State Fair their tickets were $10 for all seats...

Really? This statement makes sense from someone whose knowledge of music ends with what they hear on the radio, but for someone as deep into the underground as you, it's not like you don't know about cheaper concerts.

Expensive shows are expensive. Cheap shows aren't. The cool thing is that expensive shows really tend to suck anyway, with a bunch of old rich people sitting and watching the old rich people on stage going through the motions, while cheap shows can be pretty awesome.

Average price I've paid per concert, including all fees:
2010 - $17.85 (69 concerts)
2011 - $18.41 (74 concerts)

The highest I paid in those two years ($45) was still $32 less than a lawn ticket for this Eagles show, and for the price of a seat, I could see ELEVEN other shows at my average price. Even if I was a huge Eagles fan, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be 11 times better than any of those other shows.

Neil

Neil, i to me there is a difference between "concert" and a "show" i still go to plenty of shows (aka things not in big arenas and amphitheaters) and some concerts if reasonably priced. being almost 40 there are few bands i have never seen before that i still wish to.

But even now i am slowing down on shows. i just don't have time to attend every one i want to and when some of them are happening over 2 hours away and don't end until 2am i cannot make the drive home safely. i am a sissy i know, but having done my fair share of tired road-dogging while on tour i try not to do it so much in the casual realm.

:)

This is why I usually never go to big shows. It is never worth the money I pay. I rather spend 5 to 10 bucks and see a smaller show and have more fun. That ticket price is crazy.

What drives me nuts are the people who complain about ticket prices but also then spend the same amount of money on beer at the same show without batting an eye or buy a few shirts at 45 bucks.

Totally agree.

For shirts, I've paid $35 once, and that was for an Iron Maiden shirt that was made for that specific show. No way I'm paying more than that for a t-shirt. I have seen a few at $45 each, but that is just insane.

...they have priced themselves out of the market.

I cannot think of too many other bands that have done that recently as most realize they need to peel back the prices to keep fans coming to the shows.

Atlanta has always been a hotbed for Eagles shows. When they first reformed, they sold-out Gwinnett Arena instantly. The next time around, they sold-out the Verizon Amphitheater instantly. They added another show and sold that one out in a day as well. They then proceed to sell out Piedmont Park the last time here with a huge crowd. They had some of the highest dollar prices for shows in each of their respective years and were still successful.

I was shocked when I saw the prices this year. Van Halen looks like a bargain compared to this:

Pre-sale Amex tickets went on sale 9 days ago. Tickets to the public went on sale Saturday morning. Lawn seats = sold out in an hour. However, plenty of seats are still available now. I'm not saying it will not sell-out eventually. However, I hope their egos took a bit of a blow. The one good thing to come out of this is that the scalpers are taking a *beating* on this one.

Needless to say, Jen & I shall be enjoying the show from the grass this year.

Henley and Frey are doing what a lot of "old-school" acts are doing: Cashing in. You cannot fault them for it. Rush does it. KISS does it. Even Jimmy Buffett does it (If you don't believe me, you should have seen his prices at the Garden when he last played there.) Granted, the economy is not good right now. However, bands will get what the market dictates. 2008 was a very different economy than it is now. My wife and I dropped a pair of C-notes for upper level seats for the Eagles at the Garden in 2008. Could we do that today? Probably not.

But, hey, you will probably have a better time on the lawn. Enjoy!

I don't go to concerts anymore because of the ticket prices. i am traveling to see MARILLION this summer in Philly and that ticket was only $50, which is very much worth it. Everyone else asking for anything over $100 is insane. also, lawn "seats" should be no more than $30 in my book.

"Greed is good, greed is necessary"

just read that, PP to me in not a "concert" it is an event. so naturally worth the ticket price. wanted to clear that up.

I was excited for a moment but they are not the same without Fish. Good but not the same.

What drives me nuts are the people who complain about ticket prices but also then spend the same amount of money on beer at the same show without batting an eye

Well, if I have $100 budget for a show, that only allows me 20 beers at $5 a pop...which means I have nothing left over for the actual ticket price :rolleyes:

That's crazy! There's no way in Hell I'd pay $204 to see anybody....except for a Savatage reunion show! :Smokedev:

~Brian~

Don't forget....there are people who make good money so for them....$200 for a show isnt a big deal. Like myself....a swinging single guy with lots of money to burn isnt worried about how much a show cost. If I want to see someone....price isnt an issue. The reason I work is to enjoy things in life and lives shows is one of them. Unfortunatly there are lots of people who cant afford a show like that which is too bad that there are bands out there who charge this much.