The Emeril thread...

ShadowLioness

\m/ \m/
Jan 3, 2002
Suburbs of Chicago
Visit site
Well, I have noticed that I am not the only one who loves Emeril Lagasse...I will watch his shows and drool...of course I am a better baker than cooker, so I am somewhat hesitant to try a lot of these on my own...I usually let someone else do that;) So here it is...post your favorites, or any other recipes you would like to share...even desserts:D

SHRIMP AND SAFFRON RISOTTO

ingredients

· 1 tablespoon olive oil

· 1/2 cup chopped onions

· 2 tablespoons minced shallots

· 2 tablespoons minced garlic

· 2 cups Arborio rice

· 4 cups shrimp stock, infused with 3 threads of saffron

· 1 tablespoon unsalted butter

· 2 teaspoons salt

· 1 teaspoon white pepper

· 1/2 cup chopped green onions

· 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes, peeled and seeded

· 1 teaspoon Essence

· 1/2 pound peeled medium shrimp, tail off and halved

· 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus 1/4 cup for garnish

· 6 fried spinach leaves

· Essence

preparation instructions
In a saute pan, heat the olive oil. When the pan is smoking hot, saute the onions, shallots and garlic for 1 minute. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the rice and saute for 1 minute. Stir in butter and 1/2 cup of the stock at a time until all of the liquid is incorporated, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Fold in the green onions and tomatoes. Season with Essence and bring up to boil, about 10 minutes. Fold in the shrimp and simmer for 2 minutes. Spoon the risotto into a shallow bowl. Garnish with fried spinach leaves, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and Essence.

For a lot of Emeril's stuff, ya GOTTA have the recipe for his ESSENCE...so here it is...

ESSENCE

ingredients

· 5 tablespoons sweet paprika

· 1/4 cup salt

· 1/4 cup garlic powder

· 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper

· 2 tablespoons onion powder

· 2 tablespoons cayenne

· 2 tablespoons dried oregano

· 2 tablespoons dried thyme

preparation instructions
Combine all the ingredients in a small mixing bowl and blend well. Store in an airtight container in your spice cabinet for up to 3 months.

Wraps like this are AWESOME...

Banja Gui: Barbecued Beef in a
Lettuce Wrapper (Korea)

Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse,

3/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sesame
2 teaspoons mirin
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 pounds sirloin or flank steak, sliced thinly on the bias
1/2 cup julienned green onions (scallions)
2 teaspoons hot red chili powder
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
40 very thin slices garlic
20 large green or red lettuce leaves

In a large,non-reactive bowl,combine 1/2 cup soy
sauce, the minced garlic,1 tablespoon of the sesame oil,
1 teaspoon of the mirin, and the red pepper flakes. Add
the meat toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight,
turning occasionally.

Preheat the grill. Mix the remaining 1/4 cup soy sauce
with remaining 1 teaspoon of sesame oil. Add the green
onions (scallions), and garlic, and toss to combine. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine the remaining teaspoon of mirin, the chili powder and sesame seeds.

Remove the steak from the marinade and pat dry. Grill for 1 minute on each side for medium-rare. Lay the lettuce leaves on a flat work surface and rub the mirin mixture on the insides of the leaves. Set aside.

Lay several slices of cooked steak in center of each leaf, drizzle with about 1 tablespoon of the seasoned gree onions (scallions), and top with 2 garlic slivers. Fold the lettuce over the steak and wrap tightly. Repeat with the remaining ingredients and serve immediately.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes

Now you're talking!
pumpkin.jpg

Sunday Dinner Pork Roast with Mushroom Gravy

Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2001

1 (5 to 7 pound) pork loin or butt
1 whole head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
Emeril's Red Hot Sauce or other hot sauce
1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1/2 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

For the Gravy:
6 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
1/2 medium green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 rib celery, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 bunch green onions, green and white parts chopped separately
2 cups rich beef stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 pound button or cremini mushrooms
2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Pierce the roast all over with the tip of a paring knife and stuff one clove of garlic into each hole, followed by a few drops of hot sauce. Sprinkle on all sides with Essence and garlic powder and rub into the meat. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat and brown the roast evenly on all sides, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the chopped onion, celery, bell pepper, and enough water to come 1-inch up the sides of the pan. Add the teriyaki sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and stir to combine and loosen any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Cover and bake for 45 minutes.

Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and add a more water as necessary to come 1-inch up the sides of the pan. Continue to cook until very tender, about 3 1/2 hours total cooking time.

Meanwhile, to make the gravy, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat, until milk chocolate-colored roux is formed, about 15 minutes. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, and the white part of the green onions, and cook until the vegetables are soft but not browned, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the beef stock and heavy cream and cook until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes.

While the sauce is simmering, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until tender and golden brown around the edges, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and teriyaki sauce to the gravy and simmer until flavors come together, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.

Remove the roast from the oven and transfer to a platter. Cover loosely with foil to keep warm. Strain the pan juices through a fine mesh strainer into the gravy and simmer until heated through and thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve over the carved roast.

Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.

Okay!!! Man you guys didn't waste any time! Ugh, I am giving away my secret..well, enjoy:)

Pumpkin Bread

3 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Vegetable Oil
4 eggs
1 1/2 Tsp. Salt
3 1/3 cups Flour, sifted
1 Tsp. cinnamon
1 Tsp. nutmeg
2/3 Cup Water
Small can of pumpkin
2 Tsp. baking soda

Combine above ingredients with a mixer. Divide into a couple breadpans (or several mini-loaf pans, great for gifts;) ). Bake for about one hour (or until done) at 350 degrees. ENJOY!!!

See? EASY!;) Absolutely EXCELLENT right out of the oven with some butter *drools*

Originally posted by ShadowLioness
Okay!!! Man you guys didn't waste any time! Ugh, I am giving away my secret..well, enjoy:)

Pumpkin Bread

3 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Vegetable Oil
4 eggs
1 1/2 Tsp. Salt
3 1/3 cups Flour, sifted
1 Tsp. cinnamon
1 Tsp. nutmeg
2/3 Cup Water
Small can of pumpkin
2 Tsp. baking soda

Combine above ingredients with a mixer. Divide into a couple breadpans (or several mini-loaf pans, great for gifts;) ). Bake for about one hour (or until done) at 350 degrees. ENJOY!!!

See? EASY!;) Absolutely EXCELLENT right out of the oven with some butter *drools*

Oooooh! I'm gettin' a semi....

SO! I made this pumpkin bread this weekend, and I used your recipe. Also threw in some other stuff I found in another thread, but used this one as a base. Added some honey, raisins, vanilla and more spices. MMMM MMMM GOOOOD!!! THANKY VERY MUCHO!!

Well, you might be interested in this.
Linen's N Things stores carry a full line of Emiril Sauces and seasonings.
Trader Joe's also has some Emeril stuff.

Hopefully, you also get the food network. In 8th grade, as part of a mandatory class, I had to cook a full meal, so I made an Emeril meal. Filet Mignon, salad (emeril style), Homemade salad dressing, and Kentucky style carrot cake for dessert with cream cheese icing. can't remember everything else, but I have to go.