The Faceless

General Zaroff

Registered Lunatic
May 28, 2007
Ship Trap Island
Discuss this band here.

http://www.myspace.com/thefaceless

I saw their cd in a store and the logo looked like a death metal logo so I went home and checked them out, I looked at their comments on Myspace before I heard the music, I saw a bunch of scene fags saying the show was great etc.. so I thought this was going to be some bullshit deathcore, nope it's some awesome tech death.

If I'm remembering them correctly, they're like plenty of newer bands falling under the "tech death" label in that they have good elements and ideas, but they're poorly thrown together and juxtaposed over more metalcore-ish riffs and occasional breakdowns that sound planted there just for the purpose of having them. They also have this particular guitar tone a lot of similar sounding bands have been using lately that really annoys me.

I love The Faceless. I got a chance to see 'em with Necrophagist on the Summer Slaughter tour this year, and I thought they were awesome.

I remember listening to this band's last album about a year ago and I thought they were pretty awful. However, I'm generally not interested in music that is overally technical or whatever so my opinion means nothing, but I also don't care for music that has no feeling or emotion in it, like the Faceless.

^
Went to that show but missed the Faceless.

I dunno...the whole genre is becoming oversaturated just like metalcore...as much as I liked Necrophagist live and how amazing of a guitarist he is...alot of the Tech Death bands are sounding the same.
No fresh ideas just blast away and sweep constantly with no emotion like Ars stated above.
I'm going to stick w/ DM and BM instead or Doom/Death or Folk.

^ Yeah, I was feeling what you're saying at the concert. But truth is, The Faceless actually seemed to break up that specific monotony. I remember they had one song that seemed much longer than average, and it actually had some movement to it, and seemed to take a bit of a musical journey. Again, one concert is not enough exposure for me to argue that they are anything special, but that was my impression that night.