The Grand Conjuration!

When the "technical" and short little introriff is revisited the song peaks, its actually perfectly placed. That riff should've been the outro, but they had to force in 4 worthless extra minutes at the end. One of the few clear misstakes in opeths songwriting/arrangement.

The band is good but the song is scheisse. The mellows are boring wannabe-proggism, the brutals (riffs basiclly) are thoroughoutly silly. the lenght of the thing is twice too much. the only part making sense are the harmonies after the solo, but then comes that whispering conjuration part, you know:erk:

10 minute songs don't have chorus or verses for a reason

especially if the verse riff is the same as the chorus riff which isn't too good in the first place.

OMFG. Seriously. I feel enlighten! I was driving back home this morning and I often put Ghost Reveries, but like.. only the first 5-6 songs. Today I decided to put The Grand Conjuration. Damn, this song is so great! Yes, repetitive. But the growls! And "THE GRAND CONJURATION". Wow. And I saw that song live in Quebec, so damn fucking great. Now I cannot see why people don't like it, except the fact that people are not patient, because yes it's a little repetitive. But :kickass:!

And I didn't like it before ¬¬, I feel so sorry for myself. Oh yeah, the clip sucks. Lol.. toilet. :lol:

Good, I've enlightened someone. My work is done. This thread was worth making.

I actually don't mind the repetition of it, it is something different, but then again I don't also think there should be a new riff every 10 seconds. I think the song has a rather sinister atmosphere and there is a lot of stuff that creeps up in the background (percussion, acoustic guitars, organs, eerie guitar noise) that actually give the song a rather cool vibe. Lots of subtlety in there that I think.

Exactly!

I guess it comes down to what you prefer, really. 'The Grand Conjuration' has more riffs than say, Sleep's Dopesmoker album, and is 1/6th of the length of it. Thing with songs with few riffs and a longer running time (looking in the drone direction - some of them don't even have riffs at all) is that it has to at least build an atmosphere and vibe. Not that I'm calling 'The Grand Conjuration' a drone-y song, but it does have a vibe to it that at keeps me interested.

When the "technical" and short little introriff is revisited the song peaks, its actually perfectly placed.

Exactly. My favourite part of the song :headbang: I always cancel the song when that part is over, as it really is too long.

TGC is a fucking awesome song. Very evil song. But in a good way. :lol:

If I had been listening to this when I was a kid and my mother caught me, she would have taken me to the church and an excorcism would have been performed.

The power of Christ compels you, the power of Christ compels you!!! :devil: