The Great Cold Distance

today is the release date of the downloadable single of MY TWIN...if anyone wants it...the cd version will come out in a week or so I believe...and on march 13th the album...as I said in the Kata forum with help from a friend who owed me a favor I put my hands on an official promo cd of the album so I have no surprises as to the musical content...still gonna buy the album though because the music is great and I'd like to have the songs without the promo announcer...he's such a pain in the ass

CAIRATH said:
The My Twin video is available now: http://www.charliegranberg.com/movies/Katatonia My Twin.mov

It's actually really well done, unlike the Opeth video unfortunately.

Cheers. That's a really good video :headbang:

Oh yeah, and the album kicks like a mule! They cranked the production up and it's like a wall of heaviness. Not as many initial standout tracks I thought, but it really grows the more you listen to it. I'm looking forward to its official release!

Checked the promo version of The Great Cold Distance. Very Nice. I will be buying it ofcourse, along with the My Twin Single. I think this will slowly take my favorite spot for a Katatonia album. It's slowly becoming better than Brave Murder Day in my ears.

Yeah, it is a really good album and all, but i find it gets a bit repetitive;
heavy riff/singing... less(but still) heavy riff, no singing, then add singing, back to heavier riff.... atleast thats what i remember from it... i last listened to it a while ago(promo version).. still a good album though.

xXBraveMurderDay said:
Checked the promo version of The Great Cold Distance. Very Nice. I will be buying it ofcourse, along with the My Twin Single. I think this will slowly take my favorite spot for a Katatonia album. It's slowly becoming better than Brave Murder Day in my ears.

then you'll have to change your avatar:p

Definately a Tool influence there. It's like Tool, but way more accessible. Which makes it puxxling that Katatonia are so tiny :erk:
Does anyone else think Jonas has made absolutely massive strides as a vocalist on this album?

Liquid Diamonds said:
Definately a Tool influence there. It's like Tool, but way more accessible. Which makes it puxxling that Katatonia are so tiny :erk:
Does anyone else think Jonas has made absolutely massive strides as a vocalist on this album?
Yes haha, if you compare it to Last Fair Deal Gone Down or even the track "Day" on Brave Murder Day, He's gotten ALOT better at singing. Its a shame he cant growl anymore. He should get that checked by a vocal instructor and learn the proper ways of using his vocal chords/diaphram.

If he does, then maby we can all hear Katatonia play some older songs live isntead of just "Murder"... I'd really like to hear em' play Rainroom. Not that I've seen em' live, but I know one day I will...

xXBraveMurderDay said:
Not that I've seen em' live, but I know one day I will...

Hopefully(for the Americans) Opeth's great success in the states with GR will draw Americans to Scandinavian Rock and Metal which will eventually result in producers booking Katatonia for some major bucks to tour the states.

I hope they have a show in Israel, like Opeth.
I'd love to shout some obscenties in Swedish to Blakkheim...no one in the crowd would understnad me anyway.

In the scheme of the industry, I'd say that scandinavian rock and metal, but more so metal, is quite popular in america. I know a lot of people that listen to scandinavian music, so i dont know why you say that. And producers dont book anything, i dont even know what thats supposed to mean.

anyhow, the single my twin is supposed to be on iTUnes but isnt :( hopefully it'll be up soon.

BurningSky said:
In the scheme of the industry, I'd say that scandinavian rock and metal, but more so metal, is quite popular in america. I know a lot of people that listen to scandinavian music, so i dont know why you say that. And producers dont book anything, i dont even know what thats supposed to mean.

anyhow, the single my twin is supposed to be on iTUnes but isnt :( hopefully it'll be up soon.

I know it's popular in America otherwise there wouldn't be so many americans in these forums...what I'm saying is that opeth had an extremely good record which pretty much flooded the opeth forum with fanboys and having GR sold in Walmart and what not...opeth is getting to be a houshold name as much as a death metal band can be.In comparison to the opeth forum...the Katatonia forum is rather empty.
What I'm basicly saying is if Opeth's success would turn Scandinavian rock and metal into a household name(as much as metal could be a household name) then American producers would start booking Katatonia for the states.

Producers can't actually follow every possible band there is...they usually book artists by demand...say there a big clutter of Kata fans in Chicago then a producer in Chicago under pressure from fans will book a Katatonia show for Chicago, but if there are 300 Katatonia fans in Chicago it seems like alot but a certain precentage will eventually not come so Kata gets to play for a 200-250 people audience and the producer who payed Katatonia loses quite a lot of money on this.

You keep saying producers, which doesn't make any sense. I see what youre saying about Opeth popularizing the scandinavian scene in america, and hopefully it can happen, but theyre far from a household name (yes, even as much as it can be).

And as far as katatonia not being as popular, i attribute that to the fact that they aren't as good. Opeth are unique, katatonia really aren't.

BurningSky said:
You keep saying producers, which doesn't make any sense. I see what youre saying about Opeth popularizing the scandinavian scene in america, and hopefully it can happen, but theyre far from a household name (yes, even as much as it can be).

And as far as katatonia not being as popular, i attribute that to the fact that they're aren't as good. Opeth are unique, katatonia really aren't.

Maybe English isn't his native language and he means agent/manager/etc