The Guitarist

BloodSword

Jan 30, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I've been groovin' to Katatonia for about 3 yrs now. I know, I'm basically a rookie compared to some on this forum. Anyway, I just wanted to say over the last 3 yrs, I have come to realize that Blackheim is a brilliant guitarist. I'm not a guitarist, but I believe i can realize great playing. For me, it's his technique which he's not a shredder or blazingly fast, and we all know that's not what makes a player good. His tone, and the way he weaves guitar lines throughout t he music is incredible. What he accomplishes on BMD is nothing, if not brilliant. I wish I could be more descriptive, but I can't. In reading on other forums and discussions in Metal, his name very rarely is mentioned. He has become one of my favorite guitarists. Any thoughts?

I play guitar, and pretty much try and achieve the same thing, I am not all about solos or technically stuff, I go for meaningful riffs that can help convey emotions. But yeah Anders is a huge influence and inspiration and will remain one of my favorite modern guitar players.

What is cool is Blakkheim is capable of doing technical stuff as seen in Bloodbath and Diabolical Masquerade.

He is a damn guitar genius, master of the guitar layering technique, unique groovy-doom riffs(sometimes complex, sometimes very simple), and an incredible capacity to create beautifully dark melodies.

I get ticked off by Santanna because all he does is guitar solos
it's like ok we get the picture you are good at the guitar and can do guitar solos - Technical metal can annoy the hell out of me sometimes for similar reasons - when the whole focus is on being technical
but try something will you - Make beautiful memorable melodies - The leads over the rhythem is possibly for me trademark KATATONIA. I think they are easily fall in top 5 bands for combined guitar play

Few bands can produce melancholic riffs like Anders

I fully agree. He's awesome, I especially adore his subtleties, those little, very soft touch clean parts. Like "For Funerals To Come" and also in Deliberation (where it goes "Repeating cycle..." etc.), the intro of "Chrome", intro of "Dispossession", also the effects he uses there add so much! He's the master of creating atmosphere with the axe!!

Thanx, everyone for some real good thoughts. I just never see Blackheim mentioned, as a truly brilliant guitarist in any internet cruises I go on. But, then really who gives a shit, as long as his "real" fans appreciate what he is doing. And Hail and praise to you Blackheim, for sharing your remarkable talent for all of us. Peace.

Thanx, everyone for some real good thoughts. I just never see Blackheim mentioned, as a truly brilliant guitarist in any internet cruises I go on. But, then really who gives a shit, as long as his "real" fans appreciate what he is doing. And Hail and praise to you Blackheim, for sharing your remarkable talent for all of us. Peace.

i do carry his name over any kind of conversation like that.. cuz he's the fukkin' greatest guitar player for me.. anyone that has got right into his stuff will absolutely have to mention.. i'm sure about everyone here does it sometimes.

Been listening to "Viva Emptiness" a lot. If their is another guitarist in Metal who could play the guitar parts on this album better than Blackheim, I don't have the slightest fuckin' idea who that would be. The guitar work on this is crushin' me!!!