Your Favourite Metal Guitarist

Since this thread is still going and I haven't posted in it I'll add my obligatory Tommy Vetterli mention.

you cant go wrong with jason becker. the man is a genius. his teacher, marty friedman (old marty friedman) was an excellent guitarist too. they didnt need to play fast at all, although they could. they are the masters of phrasing. so if you havent heard cacophony, do it.

I don't like Cacophony at all, but Jason shredded all the fucking time. I've been learning Altitudes, but I cut out about a week ago, but that was just because I haven't had time to play. Learning altitudes has given me a little more appreciation for his licks.

you cant go wrong with jason becker. the man is a genius.

I have the utmost respect for Jason's technique and talent, but prefer Marty's music/sense of melody/phrasing overall.
Shame about what happened, but it's good to hear that he's found a way to create music, still.

Eric Culter and Danny Corales - Autopsy
Bill Steer - Carcass and Napalm Death
Trey Azagthoth - Morbid Angel
John McEntee - Incantation
and whomever plays guitar on the early Agathocles recordings. simple and punky yet effective

oh and Tom Warrior. if you don't who Tom Warrior is, plz leave the hall.

I've always viewed Black Metal as more of a "mood music" for me. I would have a hard time sticking any Black Metal guys (that I know about at least) in one of my top guitarists lists. There are a few BM guys that can really play I'm sure, but you don't need to be an amazing guitarists to write good Black Metal songs. It's not the sort of genre that bases itself around guitars.

I've always viewed Black Metal as more of a "mood music" for me. I would have a hard time sticking any Black Metal guys (that I know about at least) in one of my top guitarists lists. There are a few BM guys that can really play I'm sure, but you don't need to be an amazing guitarists to write good Black Metal songs. It's not the sort of genre that bases itself around guitars.

Chris Masochist (GotH)
Ryan Marauder (GotH)

Listen to the new album. I did about 50+ times.

Must all the greatest guitarists be measured by their extensive knowledge of music theory and shredding wankery? There are a good number of black metal guitarists who, through their minimalism, far outweigh many of metal's "greatest" guitarists. Give me Infernus over John Petrucci anyday.

I'll take Oystein G. Brun and Ihsahn over most guitarists any day. It takes more than technical prowess to write good riffs.