Your Favourite Metal Guitarist

Barre Gambling from Daylight Dies is an incredible guitarist.

Santiago Dobles (Aghora)
Jeff Loomis (Nevermore)
Ciaran MacUiliam (Primordial)
Anders Nyström (Katatonia)
Yossi Sa'aron (Orphaned Land)
Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth)
Christian "X" Botteri (ex-In The Woods...)
Marek "Ashok" Šmerda (Root)

Romeo
armichaelromeo.jpg

:worship:

Belligerent :^Isn't Michael Romeo the freak w/ those gay guitars? Good guitarist but It doesn't get much cheesier than that dude.

You're talking about Michael Batio. Romeo is the guitarist for Symphony X

I knew I was dealing with a dut da da

gay my ass !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WDqduTnj34

this is only a few instrumental sections of Symphony X's music. What makes Romeo even more important than his Neo Classical shreddin is his composition skills. Anyone that doesnt have a decent supply of SX CD's in their library...... IS GAY !

Jesper Stromblad and Niklas Sundin - in terms of great melodies and brilliant songwriting, these guys are the shit. They're also really great players. Most of In Flames' stuff isn't particularly technical, but listen to some of Jesper's side projects...whew!

Thrash: Alex Skolnik
Power Metal: Kai Hansen
Black Metal: Quorthon - all around coolest guy ever
Death Metal: Karl Sanders for now...the way he can play ridiculously technical, fast riffs while growling like that...

Gotta mention Dimebag and Mustaine...I wish Dimebag had joined Megadeth when Mustaine offered him the job...but then, he probably woulda left.

They started Metal, I read it in about 5 books about musical styles.

Scratch that, I read that Zeppelin and Sabbath formed the same year. But yes by the original definition of Heavy Metal Zeppelin is indeed a Metal band. I get shit from one of my friends constantly because he says Zeppelin isn't Metal all the time to me. The only Metal band he listened to was SOAD. All he listens to is The Strokes and Modest Mouse. I mean for christs sake I actually played the beginning of the Dazed and Confused solo and he didn't know what it was and I told him and he said "I never listened up to that point". He hasn't even listened to Stairway To Heaven all the way through. On his music list he had Led Zeppelin spelled wrong for a long time.

I forgot to add Tony Iommi earlier.

Mathiäs;6590722 said:
He meant Batio was gay. But I agree with you

Batio is overrated. But I give him credit for actually playing faster and better than Herman Li, and live. Instead of missing 3/4s of the notes. Although from listening to some Nitro (and this is my opinion) Batio really can't solo, it doesn't matter, its like the Li kind of thing: as long as its fast it will get listeners. Batio has some decent riffs though.

lets just say robert johnson, dude sold his soul to the devil for slammin guitar skills and most proto-metal, esp led zep and hendrix are just bombastic and electric blues tunes. so really the original hessian is a gaunt, southern, black man.

Not really. Hendrix was the first to really make the guitar loud. Jimmy Page was in the Yardbirds while Jimi was creating Heavy sounds so I was guessing when the new Yardbirds (Led Zeppelin) formed, Page got his loud fast roaring guitar solos from Hendrix. So Hendrix was the one who really started it. I'll get to the point now, Johnson wasn't one of Hendrix's major influences. Buddy Guy was Jimi's biggest influence. Hendrix even said "Heaven is lying at Buddy Guy's feet while listening to him play guitar." Robert Johnson is kickass though.

Anyway no one knows who the first Metal band was. For all we know there could have been a Death Metal band in the 40's but at the time when Blues and Jazz were the dominant genres. But do you think anyone would wanna hear blazing guitar and growling vocals about Death?

I listen to so many guitarists that are not Metal & they're mostly my favs, but my favorite Metal guitarist might be...

John Petrucci

Here's my other favorite Metal guitarists...

Michael Romeo (not for his solos necessarily)
Alex Skolnick
Marty Friedman
Muhammed Suicmez
Dave Mustaine (for his riffs, duh)
Lori Linstruth <3
Yngwie Malmsteen
Kristian Nieman
Alexi Laiho (I don't care if anyone shit talks Bodom, at the core of the band is a good guitarist even if they have nothing else)

There are a ton more...

BTW, does Tony MacAlpine count...? He was in "Ring of Fire" & "Planet X" which is like Instrumental Fusion Metal, but I like his solo stuff a lot. Planet X has been getting major play from me lately.

this thread has no mention of Coralles/Cutler - the guitar duo behind Autopsy? they are THE definition of death metal guitar.

plus this thread seems more like the "best guitar masturbator" thread.

i like a few.

John Petrucci (Dream Theater)
Thomas Youngblood (Kamelot)
Luca Turilli (Rhapsody of Fire)
Gus G. (Firewind)
Bob Katsionis (Firewind, Keyboard) (solo Project, Guitar and Keyboard)