The Haunted "One Kill Wonder"

Deadly Embrace

TL PREACHER
Feb 27, 2002
Bay Area
www.sfmetal.com
THE HAUNTED's new CD, "One Kill Wonder", is due for release on Feb. 17, 2003 through Earache Records. The follow-up to the critically-acclaimed "The Haunted Made Me Do It" (2000) was recorded at Studio Fredman in Gothenburg, Sweden and produced by the legendary Fredrik Nordström, who has previously worked with the likes of IN FLAMES, ARCH ENEMY, DARK TRANQUILLITY and AT THE GATES.

I can hardly wait!

Ive always meant to get into the Haunted but I always forget or something. you will probably tell me to get both of the albums but if I were to only get one, which one should I get? My money wont allow me to get both quite yet so which one is the best so far?

Originally posted by phodg
There's a track called "Shithead" off the new album up on Earache's website now. Sounds good.

AHHHH, gotta get home and listen to it.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Originally posted by IcedEarth556
Ive always meant to get into the Haunted but I always forget or something. you will probably tell me to get both of the albums but if I were to only get one, which one should I get? My money wont allow me to get both quite yet so which one is the best so far?

The first self titled album. It's one of those perfect albums.

Cool thanks. I'll buy that from The End today so I can take advantage of the ten percent discount. I think I will buy Dimension Zero and Arcturus along with it.

The First self titled Album is great, but it has a different singer & drummer, than their current line-up. Although very simular, but alot rawer. Now, "The Haunted Made Me Do It" album is the same 12 bucks(at The End Records), more polished & mature, better production, & sound. I like it more, it's the same difference as Metallica's first two(to use as an axample) albums. Now for the best buy: There label re-released a two CD disc, Disc One is "The Haunted Made Me do It"(11 tracks), & Disc Two is a live recording(11-2000), called "Live Rounds In Tokyo"(16 songs), material from both albums, & a bonus studio track. All that & an extra Japan insert, for 15 bucks, so you see this is the one you should buy, 3 dollars more, but 2 full disc's, & 27 songs....................:p :p

I read about that at The End. Sounds like a really good deal, I will defiantley get Live Rounds in Tokyo sometime next year. Maybe I will order it along with their new CD when that is released. For now, I just bought their S/T one and I will listen to that until then. I also bought a Moonsorrow CD and an Amon Amarth CD.

this what someone (presumably Earache employye) had to say about it

"
Obviously I shouldn't really be reviewing this but what the hell. Seven tracks roughly mixed with no song titles, direct from Studio Fredman. All you can do is let the music do the talking..........
I was expecting good, I was even expecting great. I wasn't expecting the devastating nature of the new material from The Haunted. Yes its all twisted Slayer riffs and a touch of Dark Angel and a splash of Forbidden thrown around liberally in the mix, but this has identity and ingenuity stamped all over it. One track appears to be called 'Shithead' and is the band's most feral sound to date, the title track is sickening in its tightness and delivery. Then there's the Bjorler's answer to 'Blinded By Fear' which hopefully will end the catcalls for that track that you hear at every Haunted show..........this is full of bittersweet melody, and headsplattering tempo, prime Bjorler. Then there's the 'Chemical Warfare' style track that makes Slayer seem like a washed up bunch of middle aged men...hmmmm
The playing is frenetic throughout, and special mention must go to A. Bjorler and Jensen who are surely on the way to becoming the new Hammett and Hetfield. The vocals are roared with conviction though no sign yet of any of the more melodic sound dabbled with on 'Made Me Do It.' A minor criticism, remember these are only the rough mixes and unmastered at that. When the real, 13 track thing arrives I think I might explode.
Fucking incredible."

Of course, since it' presumably Earache talking we should take it with a grain of salt, but I don't doubt for a second that this will be maybe the best album of 2003.

album of the year???WHAT ABOUT TESTAMENT??? but seriously, I hope it's great, I didn't care too much for "...made me do it" but LOVE "slaughter of the soul" so if this new one sounds more like that...

At The Gates("slaughter of the soul")at the time of it's release was a groundbreaking album, & the start of The Gothenburg Sound. But I like the present day line-up of The Haunted better.

At the Gates kicked ass, but it often sounds like I'm among the few who enjoy the Haunted better.

And with "The Haunted Made Me Do It" and "One Kill Wonder", some say their clever titles are borderline cheesy, but for some reason it works for me. I guess because musically they can back it the fuck up!!

I'd love to go back to Sweden when they've got a show lined up there. Would be cool to see 'em in their own crowd on their home turf!

tracklist
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to Close-up Magazine the track listing is as follows:
1. Privation of faith
2. God Puppet
3. Shadow World
4. Everlasting
5. D.O.A.
6. Demon Eyes
7. Urban Predator
8. Downward Spiral
9. Shithead
10. Bloodletting
11. One Kill Wonder