The Hidden Hand!!!!

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Listneing to the new one: Mother Teacher Destroyer...pretty fucking cool.

hiddenhand_cover.jpg

I have a feeling this will grow with more spins. Although I never heard their debut, this one is really quite a varied album. Just solid songwriting throughout going from heavy doom, 70s retro psychadelia (lots of feedback and Hendrix like warped hazing), to an almost old 60's pop sound believe it or not (check out "Magdalene" or "Currents"). It's downtuned, fuzzy, and warm all over!!!

Just really cool and interesting material -- certainly enough to make this thread. Like I say, it needs more spins, but so far, I'm really impressed with Wino's latest project.

The reviews for it have been incredible, whether it be Terrorizer (9/10 and claiming "cult rock historians of the future will envy us for having been alive when this album came out") or this slightly 'simpler' one: http://www.hellridemusic.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3655

Everyone might want to check into this, in particular: Nate (probably have the promo?), Doomcifer, Demonspell, and definitely IoftheStorm.

Can anyone find lyrics to this anywhere? My slipcase promo came with none. Anyway, if you do find any, please post lyrics to "Sons of Kings" -- just an INCREDIBLE song!!!

You must buy their first album too : Divine Propaganda. And maybe search for all Wino's bands : The Obsessed, Spirit Caravan (and Saint Vitus - though he didnt compose songs for them, just sing). The guy is (imo) the 2nd greatest riff-master of all times (yes the 1st one is Tony Iommi)

IOfTheStorm said:
You must buy their first album too : Divine Propaganda. And maybe search for all Wino's bands : The Obsessed, Spirit Caravan (and Saint Vitus - though he didnt compose songs for them, just sing). The guy is (imo) the 2nd greatest riff-master of all times (yes the 1st one is Tony Iommi)
I have The Obsessed (s/t) and St Vitus (s/t). I have a couple of rare Place of Skulls 7" records that I bought on eBay for cheap. To this day, I've never heard any Spirit Caravan, for shame.

Still, I have to admit this sounds premature, but so far The Hidden Hand is my fave offering from Wino!

I got this promo the other day as well. Their debut was a little edgier, but this new one has even better song writing. I think several more listens are needed, though.

JayKeeley said:
Bump.

For all you blind slackers that don't know what a goddamn scroll bar is.
Fuck you, you goatdamn Sandnigger!!!
scott.gif

:lol: I actually hadn't seen this thread!! I dunno where the fuck I have been.

Anyways, Divine Propaganda is really good. You should check it out. I haven't listened to it in so fucking long though. I think it, regretfully, got pushed aside at the time because of other bands I was finding out about at the time and I just never got back to 'em. I should pull it back out I suppose.

i could never really appreciate Divine Propaganda on the same levels as spirit caravan, obsessed, and so on, you all know the list, it didn't click with me the same way.

Mother Teacher Destroyer , however, i'm definitely enjoying, great album!

JayKeeley said:
Listneing to the new one: Mother Teacher Destroyer...pretty fucking cool.

hiddenhand_cover.jpg

I have a feeling this will grow with more spins. Although I never heard their debut, this one is really quite a varied album. Just solid songwriting throughout going from heavy doom, 70s retro psychadelia (lots of feedback and Hendrix like warped hazing), to an almost old 60's pop sound believe it or not (check out "Magdalene" or "Currents"). It's downtuned, fuzzy, and warm all over!!!

Just really cool and interesting material -- certainly enough to make this thread. Like I say, it needs more spins, but so far, I'm really impressed with Wino's latest project.

The reviews for it have been incredible, whether it be Terrorizer (9/10 and claiming "cult rock historians of the future will envy us for having been alive when this album came out") or this slightly 'simpler' one: http://www.hellridemusic.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3655

Everyone might want to check into this, in particular: Nate (probably have the promo?), Doomcifer, Demonspell, and definitely IoftheStorm.
Yes the album is a MASTERPIECE. Your description is perfect. Its a mix of everything good the 70s had to offer (and some 60s). From Black Sabbath riffs, to some totally hypnotic kraut rock atmospheric moments, the whole thing is good beyond words. I really like the voice of the bass player, he reminds me of Lee Dorrian sometimes. The album has a HUGE sound variety and magical emotional collage, of everything good ol heavy music is about. And the psychedelic moments are fantastic.
The album is probably the most qualitative work Wino has ever done.

They both sing, half songs each one i think. Dont you have the cd ? :loco:
In the beginning of each song it is written: who sings, and if the song is a Wino composition or the whole band wrote the music for it

IOfTheStorm said:
They both sing, half songs each one i think. Dont you have the cd ? :loco:
In the beginning of each song it is written: who sings, and if the song is a Wino composition or the whole band wrote the music for it
Promo <> Album

:)

I was a bit surprised to see my nick at the bottom of the original post as I've never been a stoner rock junkie, though after hearing four tracks from this, you're right as usual and I will be ordering it. And I definitely hear the psych-feedback thing...