The Hidden Hand!!!!

huhuhhuuhuhuhu hidden hand... in your pants.

siddhartha rocks, the only other hesse i've read is part of steppenwolf but i wasn't in the right frame of mind to enjoy/absorb it so i stopped reading after about 80 pages. after i finish this latest kerouac (desolation angels) i'll start it up again.

sorry about the hidden Hand thread there man.

I'm surprised Erik hasnt told me metal fans dont read books.

Siddharta is good, but nothing compared to Steppenwolf or Narcissus. Have you read Journey to the East? Hesse really is lacking however in character development in regards to everyone but the central character; every other character is static. He can be a bit prone to simplicity, and his immature Nietzcheism in his first books like Beneath the wheel, Gertrude, hell even Demian can be a bit tiring. Yet I find his writing to be wonderfully satisfying, and his prose except for the glass bead game, is really quite unmatched since Goethe.

so do you buy all these books? One thing I do like about Grad school is I can check out as many books as I want from a massive library, or even order them for free from other schools.

Oh and this will be my last post today, as I have classes until 930, but Black Winter Day I am jealous you had the balls to follow up on a literature degree. Obviously this is my first love, but you know I took the professional route and its promises of riches.

speed said:
Siddharta is good, but nothing compared to Steppenwolf or Narcissus. Have you read Journey to the East? Hesse really is lacking however in character development in regards to everyone but the central character; every other character is static. He can be a bit prone to simplicity, and his immature Nietzcheism in his first books like Beneath the wheel, Gertrude, hell even Demian can be a bit tiring. Yet I find his writing to be wonderfully satisfying, and his prose except for the glass bead game, is really quite unmatched since Goethe.
Yeah, Hesse definitely has the Ayn Rand syndrome of making most characters totally representative of one philosophy/group or another... but then again, he contradicted this idea in "Steppenwolf" with the Jungian idea of many characters within one person beyond the character's original man/wolf dualism. Nope, haven't read "A Journey to the East" either.

so do you buy all these books? One thing I do like about Grad school is I can check out as many books as I want from a massive library, or even order them for free from other schools.
Yes, I buy most of them because I constantly like to look back at them and re-read passages. I'll never neglect to go to libraries, though. Hell, that's how I read most of my books growing up.

Oh and this will be my last post today, as I have classes until 930, but Black Winter Day I am jealous you had the balls to follow up on a literature degree. Obviously this is my first love, but you know I took the professional route and its promises of riches.
Check with me in 10 years and we'll see who's got the money... It likely won't be me, but I'll have a big English/Creative Writing major that I can hand to the first Hardees that I apply to (I'm assuming the economy will be much worse in 10 years anyway...). Could you not have a double major? Damn, I gotta study a bit more, test in 25 mins...

Depending on how many questions were on Kiss and Frampton determines how torturous it was.