The Inevitable Favorite NitND Track Thread!

Which is your favorite?

• Total voters
I am very surprised that "Liberation" doesn't have more votes. I also do not understand why everyone is so crazy over "The Longest Year". :erk: I must not be hearing what everyone else is apparently hearing.
Jack

first it was the longest year but after some time listening to it its definetly departer.. one of the most atmospheric tracks ive ever heard in my life.

I don't know you Necrophant, but I'd like to shake your hand.

I'm exactly the same way. I think the most enjoyable 'fun' song is 'The Longest Year' and that was my original favourite, but 'Departer' is emotional to the point of absurdity. It's so brilliant. I'm on holidays at the moment, I wake up, my wife goes to work and I lie in bed with "Brother, in your eyes I was the stronger" in my head and I just want to die or go back to sleep because it's too good and meaningful early in the morning. :lol:

Not gonna vote yet (if I did, I'd probably pick 'Liberation' but 'Inheritance' is growing on me a lot, too). I just wanted to mention two songs that bug me: 'Idle Blood' and 'Departer'. 'Idle Blood' annoys me because it sounds like a song that Akerfeldt lent them, and 'Departer' annoys me because it is almost awesome, but Krister Linder's voice gets so irritating. He sounds... froggy. 'Your GHOOAAST in the LAIMLAAAAAIIIIIGHT', gah. WHY is his voice the last one we hear on the album?! Maybe if he just harmonized with Jonas it wouldn't be so bad, but as it is... fail.

Anyway, 'Liberation' has a fucking awesome chorus - very Katatonic. And that 'Let them inherit this fire now' part of 'Inheritance' is so nice; I can't stop singing it. Good octaved vocal harmony there, too. That is one thing I like about this album, especially compared to the last one: Jonas does more harmonies. Some pretty subtle ones, too, at times.

Oh yeah, 'Forsaker' has a kickass chorus too. 'Onward into Battle' surprised me, since the title is so un-Katatonia-like. Actually a very atmospheric song. I'm glad they focused on atmosphere on this album; they do that better than heaviness.

'Departer' annoys me because it is almost awesome, but Krister Linder's voice gets so irritating. He sounds... froggy. 'Your GHOOAAST in the LAIMLAAAAAIIIIIGHT', gah. WHY is his voice the last one we hear on the album?! Maybe if he just harmonized with Jonas it wouldn't be so bad, but as it is... fail.

I like you. :cool: That's pretty much exactly what I said in all 4,893 posts/complaints I submitted about that song on here.
Jack

i still can't decide on a favourite after a month of playing nothing else. the longest year, new night, day and then the shade and forsaker stand out but it's such a consistent album that i find it very hard to pick one out.

I picked New Night, although it's hard to choose a favorite because there's a lot of good songs on this album. Idle Blood is a close second.

Was tempted by New Night and The Longest Year but went for Liberation because it has so few votes for some reason.

The lyrics are really infectious. I love the "It's coming true..." line

'Idle Blood' annoys me because it sounds like a song that Akerfeldt lent them, and 'Departer' annoys me because it is almost awesome, but Krister Linder's voice gets so irritating. He sounds... froggy. 'Your GHOOAAST in the LAIMLAAAAAIIIIIGHT', gah.

Oh yeah, 'Forsaker' has a kickass chorus too.

I agree with your first point. It's very Opethy in nearly every way. It's a great song, but very much feels as if it should be on another album by another band. Your second point I am less enthusiastic about:p . I think Krister's vocals are incredible and really add a different dynamic to the song. He's heartbreakingly fragile and 'real'. At least, that's how I read it.

'Forsaker' doesn't sit well with me. As someone earlier noted, they do atmosphere better than heavy, and while I don't mind 'Forsaker', it pales into insignificance to some of the other tracks.

The promise of deceit and Onward into the battle have grown a lot recently, Liberation was a constant fave from the beginning on and Departer is simply way beyond (or ahead) of everything I ever heard... mh, still can't give my vote for sure... instead, I'll just keep on enjoying the album as a whole :)

'Forsaker' doesn't sit well with me. As someone earlier noted, they do atmosphere better than heavy, and while I don't mind 'Forsaker', it pales into insignificance to some of the other tracks.

I have been really frustrated lately with everyone I know who claims to love rock music (many different styles). Since the new album released, I have introduced Katatonia to well over 40 people I know (both in person and online) and not a single one of them have been a fraction as enthusiastic about Katatonia as I am. As far as the music goes, everyone says that the music is anywhere from "decent" to "fantastic". Where everyone loses me is they all seem to complain that Jonas's vocals simply "do not belong with this style of music". :OMG: People have said that there is no dynamics in his voice, no emotion, no passion, no variety...nothing. :ill: People who I thought would love Katatonia are so unimpressed with them and it's really bumming me out because the elements they all collectively are complaining about is exactly the stuff that I love about them. One person even had the audacity to call them "a Chevelle ripoff band, but not heavy enough to be as good as them". :zombie: When I tell these people that it's my favorite rock album I have bought in over 2 years, they all look at me (or react) as if I have completely lost my mind. I'm just very disappointed that I can't speak to anyone who shares my enthusiasm about this band/album. It's already impossible enough to find people (especially in Ohio) who like rock music at all, but damn...

^ Haha, I know the feeling. I am also one that likes to share my enthusiasm about music and I totally know this feeling of frustration/disappointment when someone of whom you are convinced will like something, does not like it at all and you're like huh?? :guh: How?? But it's all taste, you can't argue it (still can be frustrating though ;)).

One person even had the audacity to call them "a Chevelle ripoff band, but not heavy enough to be as good as them".

lol

Only time I saw Katatonia live they were supposed to play the biggest stage of the venue but a few weeks later got bumped to the smaller stage due to Chevelle playing there that night. I think it worked out for the better as the underground stage is more personal

Are you fucking kidding me FlawedCoil82? Really someone really said our guys, Katatonia, is "a Chevelle ripoff band"? As far as i see it Katatonia didnt name there band after a Car. I mean the stuff that Chevelle puts out sounds like the ripping sound of bubbly ass, over played FM radio garbage!

Yep, those are the exact words Shawn said. No one I know is liking Katatonia. I was certain the Tool/APC people would love them but even they are calling it "boring". It's pissing me off. I'm using "Liberation" and "Day And Then The Shade" to promote Katatonia to people. Maybe I am using the wrong songs? I don't know....I can't explain it. Even the people I know who love Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Pain Of Salvation, etc. are completely unimpressed. I do not exaggerate when I say Ohio blows ass when it comes to finding people who like good music.