The last minority group in the West that can be openly ridiculed and slammed

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
The obese or atheists? Or both?

These two groups are the "last minority", so to speak, in the Western world. Both can be ridiculed and lampooned without fear or reprisal or social constraint.

Sure, laws may exist to stop (or, at least, lessen) discrimination, but at the end of the day, each remain the whipping boy for society, the butt of bad jokes, the "devil" in the eye of many "rightous folk".

In this BB, of course, we appear to have a fair number of atheists (not sure about obesity...no way to know!), but this BB is not an accurate cross-section of the population (at least not of American population).
Is metal a music of the masses? Surely not.

Thoughts? Opinions? Rejections of said claim?

i'm not sure athiests are a minority in the western world. i suppose it depends on your definition of western. they don't see to be a very small group in western europe. they also don't seem to be ridiculed in western europe either.

fat people, yes, are always the brunt of jokes. they are even stereotyped as being funny "jolly" people.

I think it's fat people. Even in Texas, most people complacently accept atheism unless one is a dickhead about it (e.g. screaming at people IN church).

I've found that people in Texas still aren't all that accepting of atheism at times. Or at least, they're highly disturbed by someone being an atheist even if they're nice to them.

The Devil's Steed said:
They're highly disturbed by someone being an atheist even if they're nice to them.

Well, this is somewhat understandable from my perspective, although I still call it intolerant.

I'll just say that most atheists I've met have been severely hostile to anyone with faith, up until only the past few years. I was only returning the favor by being disturbed. Now I have no reason to, so to each their own.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Well, this is somewhat understandable from my perspective, although I still call it intolerant.

I'll just say that most atheists I've met have been severely hostile to anyone with faith, up until only the past few years. I was only returning the favor by being disturbed. Now I have no reason to, so to each their own.

I'd actually venture to say that there is some truth to atheists - generally speaking - being hostile towards religion. I, an atheist, was for many years hostile. Now, I'm my ripe old age, I've come to accept the fact that millions of people are simply theists.
Sure, I find that to be a detriment to the overall health and well-being of society, but so be it. It is what it is. Debate usually doesn't change folks' minds.

Ironically, I am now extremmelly nice towards those that I'm acquainted with that are 'hardcore' religious. About 4 of my co-workers are born again Christians. They're also quite pleasant and refrain from forcing their views down our throats. They show respect and receive it back.

On the other hand, when/if I encounter a theist who's holstile towards atheism....well, you get the picture.

anonymousnick2001 said:

Meh, in most cases all they have to do is say "I don't believe in God." in relation to a question about religion or something like and people seem extremely disturbed by it, ridicule them, or put them through what amounts to a fucking interrogation. No hostility against religious people needed.

Soundmaster said:
Ironically, I am now extremmelly nice towards those that I'm acquainted with that are 'hardcore' religious. About 4 of my co-workers are born again Christians. They're also quite pleasant and refrain from forcing their views down our throats. They show respect and receive it back.

On the other hand, when/if I encounter a theist who's holstile towards atheism....well, you get the picture.

Well, good for you. And I get the picture. That's how I interpret "eye for an eye."

The Devil's Steed said:
Meh, in most cases all they have to do is say "I don't believe in God." in relation to a question about religion or something like and people seem extremely disturbed by it, ridicule them, or put them through what amounts to a fucking interrogation. No hostility against religious people needed.

Well, that's wrong. Religious folk should get over it already. How hard it is to understand that some people *gasp* just don't believe the same thing you believe?

I can't respect obese people, cuz they obviously don't respect themselves to let their bodies reach such a disgusting level, and yes I know that some obese people have metablosim disorders and so forth, but this is a small portion of the mounds of fat-asses in America. Athiests... I really don't see how they're one of the last minorities...

I would say that Catholics are an increasing minority relative to the rest of Christians, and they are the butt of far more jokes than any other Christian group. There's no taboo about openly bashing Catholics.

The original point about the obese is right on. I don't know too many atheists. I'm an agnostic, so I do and don't care about hostility to atheists. I've never had any problems with other people because of my beliefs.

I never thought atheists had a hard time. But fat people, yes, in a way they are very responsible for being fat. Some people just don't understand that fast food is bad for you, and will make you fat. Same with fatty snacks like ice cream, mayo, etc. If they ate right and got off thier asses from infront of the zombie box they wouldn't be fat. If i was fat and someone made fun of me, I would take that as a hint to get in shape, not to eat more fatty foods to comfort my self hate.

Silent Song said:
me either. in fact, i am more aware of christian-bashing than atheist bashing.
then, you have to visit Poland, the homeland of the former 'god-on-earth' pope JPII.

I would say the stereotype of "right wing Christian fanatics" are more openly ridiculed by mainstream media and folk than Atheists are.

Fat people aren't really seen as victims of oppression in society - yet - most likely because increase in size is seen as a result of gluttony and other "selfish" attributes considered wrong in the eyes of the Lord. However, I imagine that a few socially "important" people will become champions of even the hot air balloons of society eventually, using either "it's genetic and thus not their fault!" or "advertising encourages people to eat more than is healthy, these people are victims of greedy corporations and are not at fault!" A taboo will ensue; no more being weightist guys!

By the way, paedophiles are a minority group.

i do see a great deal of fat-bashing, and i'm torn as to how to respond. part of me says it's their own fault for not respecting themselves, and part of me says despite their shortcomings, others should not make the situation worse upon them...

SS, yet again I have to agree with you :Spin:

I'm disgusted by the lack of self-respect that leads to many cases of obesity, yet I recognize that making them feel worse about themselves accomplishes nothing. I suppose in the end it's a choice only they can make.

I really don't see many instances of fat people openly getting made fun of, though. It may not be as taboo yet as it is to be "racist" or "sexist" but I do believe it's well on its way.

As for atheism, the only people I have heard openly bashing it are my parents, usually when I try to explain to them why it is I think the way I do. As someone already mentioned, it seems as though Christians as a group get made fun of far more often, although I would argue that the few who proselytize extensively and obsessively (note that I said 'few,' I don't believe this is the majority at all) make impressions that shape people's opinion of the religion as a whole. Atheists, on the other hand, hardly ever seem to try to convert others to their way of thinking (in my experience). We just seem obsessed with removing all traces of religion from public buildings, etc (actions that I disagree with; I couldn't care less where they plunk a copy of the Ten Commandments.)

I would argue that gays are still in the same situation with fat people. Homosexuality is often viewed as a choice, just like the decision to eat large amounts of unhealthy food. I know many people who think being gay is the person's own fault, something they brought on themselves. I can't see why this would be, because who would willingly choose the ostracism and hate that often comes with alternate sexual orientations? And I'm sure everyone has heard people go, "That's so gay," "You're gay," or something along those lines used as a casual insult among straight people. There isn't really anything weight-oriented that's comparable to this, because people rarely (I can't say "never," because I know it happens, but not often) tell each other to their faces that "You're fat."

anonymousnick2001 said:
Well, good for you. And I get the picture. That's how I interpret "eye for an eye."

Well, that's wrong. Religious folk should get over it already. How hard it is to understand that some people *gasp* just don't believe the same thing you believe?

I know it's wrong. However, the problem is, when you're raised believing that something is inherently true and that it is fact, you tend to be disturbed when other people don't believe in it too, in particular if it's a fairly common belief.

A similar situation would be the reaction someone would get for yelling "Rapists rule". Albeit, in that case the reaction would arguably be justified.