The Latest News from Opeth.com

DVD would be great and I think I'm not alone when I say it's alot more than any of us would expect anyway!

I know festival setlists tend to be fairly short though, so it's hard to say whether there'd be sufficient material to load onto a DVD. In any case, I'm sure you folk who are going to see it live are going to have a blast... it's a shame that the same energy can't be conveyed via a TV screen or computer monitor.

i agree with that dvd idea, someone pitch it to anna or mike thats somewhat close to them so no one floods mikes PM box

Mr Samsara said:
Now that this is sort of sinking in, some questions..

What's up w/ Stephen Wilson not producing? Wasn't that already a done deal? Where did I hear that?

Given the timing of it all, by the point in the sessions that SW would come in to do his bit (production on clean vocals, lead guitars, atmospherics, keys etc), Porcupine Tree will probably be right in the thick of their European tour. So any 'OMG SETVEN WLISNO IS TAEKING OVAR TEH OEPHT!1!! SIGN HEAR!!1' petitions (like I've seen in some places on-line) or any negative fan reactions probably had bugger all to do with SW not producing this new album. If the timing was there, he'd probably have done it, given the strong friendship between the bands and the fact that the Opeth guys seem to be happy what SW did with the last three albums.

Maybe the timing will be there for SW to mix the album, maybe not. I get the feeling we're in for something fucking brutal so maybe SW's atmpospherics and keyboards aren't really necessary if we're in for some bone-chilling evil metal. :headbang:

I'm kind of glad that Steven Wilson has not been confirmed as the producer, not because his production work isn't awesome, but because I'd be glad to see a return of the 'pure' Opeth, meaning no outside influences (guest musicians are okay, providing they don't help compose). Obviously they don't need it -- they recorded their best album yet without it (My Arms, Your Hearse). So this is good news. That's really cool about Wacken, too, although I won't be able to see it.

I wonder if the next album will be that 'borderline black metal' thing Mike mentioned a while back. That'd be pretty interesting.

Now if only Jonas Renkse would be 'confirmed' as contributing guest vocals, this would be godlike news.

Fucking good news all of them. I'm so happy!

I guess the new CD will be released at the "arrrrrriiivalll of auuuuutumnnnn grhworghrgrhgrl", after those summer gigs, at the very latest!

Demoke said:
I can smell some Century Media deal; don't ask me why...

"Rumour has it..."

Mantraschism said:
I wonder if the next album will be that 'borderline black metal' thing Mike mentioned a while back. That'd be pretty interesting.

With the answer I got with my interview, I kinda interpreted that he only suggested the black metal offering to spark the imagination of fans, without having much intention of following up on it.

That's just my view on it. Fuck, we could end up with a brilliant sinister album for all I know.

my first post on this board, so...

Hi all!

concerning the news:
1) i'm pretty glad Wilson won't be producing the thing. i love him and his work, but i think the two bands are getting a little too influenced by each other, in doing so losing a bit of their personality. i'm not sure either if i like the idea of a "borderline black metal"... i only hope that rehearsing will let Peter write something. i think he can come up with some great riff.
2) a new label... i surely hope it won't be Nuclear Shitty Blast... i bet a good choice it would be Elitist, cause i think Lee deserves it :) but opeth's status today is too high for such a small label. i bet we'll see them on Century Media...

Some thoughts that have occured me...

Is Per rehearsing and recording with the band?
And they better not come to Graspop, cause I'll be in the middle of my exams! Nah, just kidding, I'd be fucking pissed off, though...

Erm... the date for the Wacken performance, I am a little confused.

The website says Friday, 4th of August.

According to my Calendar, the 4th is a Thursday... I assume that they mean the Friday, rather than the 4th?