The leaking on TOC has begun

I come back to the forum, and I see nothing has changed. You're all still assholes, and I missed you so I should post here more!

Now, on with the review: I like the direction. I like the songs. I hate the soul-sucking mastering, but that's everything these days.

when it's completely polished, it seems to lack soul. that's with every band, I've found. I like to hear that these bands are human. if DNB was as polished as DHIADW, it wouldn't be as hypnotic. hell, I might even like Dead Heart if it was a wall of sound.

28555_photo.jpg

Not hearing it either, and if the man told you it ain't there then why argue?

Because the artist doesn't necessarily know what's going on while mixing.

Autotune is all over records nowadays and many a time the listeners absolutely won't notice because when they think autotune, they think about Cher or T-Pain bullshit.

If used sensibly, it's a great tool to fix minor intonation issues without these infamous artefacts. It's basically absolute standard to finetune doubled/harmonized lines, which sometimes sound like crap even if they're just a few cents off. So even highly talented singers can benefit greatly from that technology in times when recording budgets crumble.

But it also get's frequent use on bass and even sometimes guitar (DIs).

Sneap, compared to some other mix engineers who are highly en vogue right now, resorts to much less "trickery" or "fakery" than many of you probably think. He's just an enormously skilled engineer who has a very strong vision of what he expects the results to sound like. If there's lots and of tuning, reamping and sample-replacing going on on a Sneap record, it often means he didn't track the stuff himself...

I, personally, like his very distinct style as much as what NK did with them, but it's still up to the band in the end to deliver the songs making it a great or not so great record.

And like him or not and like this fact or not, but you simply can't deny Sneap having a significant role in Nevermore's heavy rise in popularity ever since Daad Heart was released.

Autotune is all over records nowadays and many a time the listeners absolutely won't notice because when they think autotune, they think about Cher or T-Pain bullshit.

If used sensibly, it's a great tool to fix minor intonation issues without these infamous artefacts. It's basically absolute standard to finetune doubled/harmonized lines, which sometimes sound like crap even if they're just a few cents off. So even highly talented singers can benefit greatly from that technology in times when recording budgets crumble.

But it also get's frequent use on bass and even sometimes guitar (DIs).

Sneap, compared to some other mix engineers who are highly en vogue right now, resorts to much less "trickery" or "fakery" than many of you probably think. He's just an enormously skilled engineer who has a very strong vision of what he expects the results to sound like. If there's lots and of tuning, reamping and sample-replacing going on on a Sneap record, it often means he didn't track the stuff himself...

I, personally, like his very distinct style as much as what NK did with them, but it's still up to the band in the end to deliver the songs making it a great or not so great record.

And like him or not and like this fact or not, but you simply can't deny Sneap having a significant role in Nevermore's heavy rise in popularity ever since Daad Heart was released.

I agree with most of this. The only thing I find a little bit dubious of what you said is regarding Andy's use of 'trickery'.

While it's true that he doesn't resort to using studio plugins and 'magic' for his incredibly polished sound, the man is a renowned perfectionist who'll record take-after-take-after-take-after-take to get his flawless recording.

Now, that's not 'trickery' in the classic sense, but in my completely worthless opinion, it removes a lot of the 'mojo' that to me makes recordings great.

I liked hearing conflicting vibrato in the old Nevermore records, like in old Ozzy-era Sabbath. I liked how the bass would almost flub out on DNB, sounding like the record was about to blow up behind that horribly haunting dissonance. And even on the original EoR, I liked how furious the drums sounded, even though they were muffled up. I even like the wrong note in the I, Voyager solo. Perfection is overrated.

That said, I haven't heard the new album, so I don't know what it's gonna surprise me with.

I don't think we fundamentally disagree there, it's just that I appreciate both approaches. NK really crafts an individual sound for every band he's worked with and his mixes can sound quite close to Sneap's work if he wants (see Jeff's solo album), but the pure sonic perfection (while not being complete plastic) of records like Dead Heart is basically as much intriguing.

I don't like Kelly Gray's mix on EOR though. There's a difference between awesome natural character and a guy who's simply not on par as a craftsmen with his competition. Just my humble opinion of course.

ITE, I'm absolutely sure it'll not be the production that will make me like or dislike TOC.

Of course, but I'm sure he sat through enough playbacks in the booth to realize whether or not he nailed it. Besides those notes should be well within Warrel's range. Point is it doesn't have an apparent artificial signature as Guru was claiming.

So far I'm thoroughly enjoying it...it's very reminiscent of DHIADW, which I love. TGE was a great album, but over time there are only a couple of tracks that I find myself coming back to: the album title track and Sentient 6.