The leaking on TOC has begun

Let's not forget Politics of Ecstasy! That album is the definition of rage, anger, disdain, evil, and sinister. Neil Kernon is the man in my opinion when it comes to capturing Nevermore's sound.

Guru, you make it sound like people aren't entitled to their opinion, and then you follow up with how you have an opinion on that it sounds autotuned.

scum

There is a difference between voicing an opinion and crying like a 2 year old. The last 2 Nevermore albums all Brooks has done is bitched and bitched and bitched about how he thinks the production is stale. He has a right to voice that opinion for sure. But .... when it gets to the point that its all he does every time a Nevermore album comes out, its time to either A - Shut up and deal. or B - Stop listening.

BROOKS IS WAY OUT THERE MAN.....

NK WAS IT DARK IN HIS CAVE

THEY SORT OF GOT LOST AFTER IN MEMORY!!! IMO

Now, I'm really going back on my promise.... and you ready for this guru? I'm about to blow your mind.

I think the thing that's so easy to forget is that it's not just the producer that makes a band alter their sound. It's also the band that makes a producer alter his style. And in the year 2000, Nevermore, with Andy Sneap, defined the modern metal sound.

I give Andy all the credit in the world: DHIADW is the absolute statement of so-called 'modern metal'. That album was completely fucking revolutionary in the grand scheme of things. No one was making records that huge sounding, that industrial and mechanical, that cold and brutal and gigantic. Fear Factory perhaps, but DHIADW was the ultimate harbinger of the new school owning, dismantling and reconstructing the old-school for the next level.

Dead Heart is a timeless metal record, and as much as it may not fully encapsulate the 'Nevermore' as a band, I really think that record is a bit of a landmark. I also think it's Andy's ultimate triumph in creativity and craft. It's really something special.

So, go Andy Sneap. He's a visionary, and has a meticulous, calculated, and precise way of doing things that is terribly imitated, and never quite duplicated. He knows what he's doing.

He knows exactly what he's doing.

Dead Heart is a timeless metal record - well is a thumper in the car on the way to get supplies at the local grog shop, havent heard it for yrs.

Let's not forget Politics of Ecstasy! That album is the definition of rage, anger, disdain, evil, and sinister. Neil Kernon is the man in my opinion when it comes to capturing Nevermore's sound.
hell yeah! nk on eor wouldve ruled!
Let's not forget that In Memory and Politics were recorded and mixed at the exact same time - just released at different times.
didnt know that!
Ya'll were on fire.
fiya!
Thanks, by the way. I've had a lot of fun listening to em.

Still do.
some of my very favorite sounding metal alums!

yea, honestly, Politics is just mindblowing. it's about crunch vs thud. sneap albums are more thud. politics is a fucking CRUNCH. best production for nevermore, i reckon. (songs were more interesting back then, too). nevermore makes the most interesting material when Jeff has someone to work with IMO.

Dude ....

I am not saying YOU did it. But I am telling you it sounds like theres auto tune on that frigging line.

It sounds more like WD did the harmonies by singing in falsetto very quietly and softly, which was then compressed and brought up in level to match the main vocal track...

As for the sound - Sneap seems to be the go-to mixer for Nevermore records, especially after they had a really bad experience with Gray. Andy has a very distinct sound to his mixes and you always know he'll deliver. It took the band quite a while to switch from NK to Sneap, so they may not let this guy go yet that easily. But a little bit of a different flavor to Nevermore's songs with another producer/mixer could be interesting to hear, that's what I wanted to say... Maybe we'll get a chance to hear that in a few years ;)

yea, honestly, Politics is just mindblowing. it's about crunch vs thud. sneap albums are more thud. politics is a fucking CRUNCH. best production for nevermore, i reckon. (songs were more interesting back then, too). nevermore makes the most interesting material when Jeff has someone to work with IMO.

That's the best explanation I've heard. :loco: But it's true, Jeff's guitar takes up the whole spectrum, and there's not much pick attack at all.