The Longest Year MCD

I was always willing to hear an album in the vein of Unfurl from Katatonia..
I was saying to a friend the other day that I think it'd be awesome if they did a whole album in that style...or an album of remixes, cause they seem to translate really well into electronic sounding songs...that trip-hop sounding remix of In The White for example.

(or maybe if Jonas ever puts out a solo album...?)

I wouldn't rank 'Sold Heart' (much) higher than most of NitND, but it is indeed a special song, as Unfurl was. As mentioned before, an album in the vein of these two songs would be awesome, but also I think the dynamics would be missed for sure.

I want dynamic Katatonia back!

Give me more Increase, Follower, The Itch, Rusted, Consternationish songs!!!

Yeah, heavy riff then clean arpeggiated chords then heavy riff then clean arpeggiated chords then rinse repeat for every song on the damn album. Dynamic as hell.

I want Katatonia to have guest appearances by a beat boxer and a hip-hopper.

I wouldn't rank 'Sold Heart' (much) higher than most of NitND, but it is indeed a special song, as Unfurl was. As mentioned before, an album in the vein of these two songs would be awesome, but also I think the dynamics would be missed for sure.
I think an EP would do, but maybe not a full length.

Crabdance.gif

still having that self-flawed reasoning for making b-sides into a cd again "just cuz it suppoed to be dere" feeling?

sigh.

*facepalm*

Yep, I am still "self-flawed" in being a completist and not being satisfied with buying incomplete albums, unlike the rest of the world who are beyond happy to buy only certain pieces of what a band creates.

Yep, I am still "self-flawed" in being a completist and not being satisfied with buying incomplete albums, unlike the rest of the world who are beyond happy to buy only certain pieces of what a band creates.

Nope, we buy EVERYTHING.

;)

And then we lie down on a cushy altar and listen to MC Blakkheim rymin' about the spiritz of angel slaying d00m.

:)

Yeah, heavy riff then clean arpeggiated chords then heavy riff then clean arpeggiated chords then rinse repeat for every song on the damn album. Dynamic as hell.

But there you go ignoring the creativity behind the heavy riffs, the subtle keys, how the bass and guitar melts perfectly (example: follower), the choice of chords, verse-riffing variation (example: July), etc.

Well, that is just a matter of TASTE actually. I was always willing to hear an album in the vein of Unfurl from Katatonia. Sold Heart is really in the vein of Unfurl and I really really liked it. I don't care if it's a B-side or not, that is what I expect from Katatonia and for me it really is better than any album song... Live with it.

*Dies with it*

Didn't mean to offend you or anything, it just seems trendy in this forum to put the b-sides above the actual album songs. You've explained yourself, It's your taste, ok, carry on.

No offense, but you could say that about just about ANY katatonia song or album. You need more details as to why you think the album isn't dynamic.

:err: You do realize Phoenix is basically saying that the new record isn't dynamic at all? All I'm saying is the new record doesn't quite abuse that dynamic to the extremely predictable level TGCD does. The songs are more varied from one to the next, less guitar driven overall, and instead focus on a more dimensional lush soundscapes. To me they're more dynamic than they've ever been.

crab crab crab.
And what is it exactly that you think you've been doing? If I'm a crab then you're a king crab. ;P

Hmm I think I get Bluesky's point now, but I still wouldn't say that TGCD was extremely predictable, more like "homogenic" imo. NITND is more musically varied and is fantastic, but TGCD provides some sort of bitter, strong adrenaline that is a bit lacking on NITND.

:err: You do realize Phoenix is basically saying that the new record isn't dynamic at all? All I'm saying is the new record doesn't quite abuse that dynamic to the extremely predictable level TGCD does. The songs are more varied from one to the next, less guitar driven overall, and instead focus on a more dimensional lush soundscapes. To me they're more dynamic than they've ever been.

Sorry. Didn't catch that. I have a bad habit of reading single posts and responding to them out of context.

I agree that they are more dynamic that ever as well.. even more dynamic than TGCD (which did have some predictable aspects to it)

I think NitND starts where TGCD left off, but it just uses more ingredients