The Longest Year MCD

And with that news, the "completeness" feel that NIGHT IS THE NEW DAY had with the entire recorded sessions being on the album has been destroyed unless they eventually re-release it with "Sold Heart" (and any additional songs that were cut). God, I loathe b-sides and songs being cut from an album in general so damn much.

I just see it as Katatonia pulling off what Opeth wishes to do in one album, in one song :)

As someone who likes Kats way more than the Peth I say, get real boi. Hope Leaves, and To Rid the Disease are way more emotionally charged songs.

And with that news, the "completeness" feel that NIGHT IS THE NEW DAY had with the entire recorded sessions being on the album has been destroyed unless they eventually re-release it with "Sold Heart" (and any additional songs that were cut). God, I loathe b-sides and songs being cut from an album in general so damn much.

That stuff drives me nuts too, but I just make my own CDR of the complete sessions in situations like this.

As long as they keep churning out more songs, I can care less how many cds they put out...I just know it's a sure bet with Katatonia to be killer as always. And do know that sometimes the bsides wouldn't even fit on the album....I think Katatonia put together the album they want the first time around.

As someone who likes Kats way more than the Peth I say, get real boi. Hope Leaves, and To Rid the Disease are way more emotionally charged songs.

It's all opinion afterall. I find myself listening to Opeth maybe once or twice a year, whereas Katatonia is 2nd on my most played list.

:rolleyes:

That's completely retarded. If a band throws every song they record onto one record it would most likely detract from the experience that the band has envisioned. The record is complete once the band feels the flow, length, and quality of all the songs have come together as precisely as possible.

Rap/Corporate rock mentality...Cram as much music as possible on one disc...

Are you serious? Corporate rock record labels are terrified of releasing cds that are longer than 45 minutes in length or more than 13 tracks. They always cater to the A.D.D. crowd who can't pay attention to an album that is over that limit.

When a band records an album, they are recording songs that fit that particular frame of mind that they are in at that moment in their careers. When they release a cd, I don't want certain "chapters" missing out of the final work they created.

Well sometimes its safe bands like Korn, Slipknot and Modern Metallica, but you get my point.

And once again, Katatonia made the album they were meant to make...you're saying they didn't make a complete album, and I call bullshit right there.

I would think of a proper insult to say to you, but you are just ridiculous.

Words cannot express how much I hate your post.

Haha :p Sorry, my opinion still stands. I don't like when ANY band cuts songs from a final album, Katatonia is certainly no exception (I can't even fathom this album without "Ashen"). Even if the song sucks (unlikely) I know I will still be missing it every time I listen to the album itself. I'll have to do what I did with TGCD and put all the songs together on a cd-r and listen to it that way.

I don't see the big issue with this. I listen to music via my comp, I just put all the songs in the queue and I'm fine. I like it when a single contains actual new, non-album songs instead of useless remixes (there are some exceptions, the dub-version of My Twin was great), live-versions and other redundant filler material.

Haha :p Sorry, my opinion still stands. I don't like when ANY band cuts songs from a final album, Katatonia is certainly no exception (I can't even fathom this album without "Ashen"). Even if the song sucks (unlikely) I know I will still be missing it every time I listen to the album itself. I'll have to do what I did with TGCD and put all the songs together on a cd-r and listen to it that way.

While I actually don't mind leaving some songs off an album I think your original point is exactly right. It's what immediately came to my mind.

The songs are:
1. The Longest Year
2. Sold Heart
3. Day & Then The Shade (Frank Default remix)
4. Idle Blood (acoustic)
according to this http://www.levykauppax.fi/artist/katatonia/the_longest_year_ep/

So in the end it's just a new song, but if is gonna sound something like 'Ashen', is positive. Just think about the previous unreleased songs such as 'Dissolving bonds' or 'Displaced', but even 'Unfurl' or 'Code against code'... all great stuff and even better than the rest of the TGCD sometimes :headbang:

So Day and then the Shade was scrapped as a single?

Is there gonna be a video?

Can we refrain from putting stuff into it this time that has nothing to do with KAtatonia!

The enhanced EP also features the videos for both The Longest Year, directed by Charlie Granberg (Bloodbath, My Dying Bride) and Day And Then The Shade, directed by Lasse Hoile (Porcupine Tree, Opeth.)

I hoped they'd have found a better director than either of these two by now, but sometimes you have to accept the lesser of two evils.