The Longest Year MCD

ktly.jpg

good ole itunes...

Haha, wow.

I purchased Sold Heart on iTunes yesterday and have been playing it a lot. It is a really solid track and obviously addictive. I might get the Idle Blood remix too. For anyone who has heard it, is it enjoyable?

Tis enjoyable, and the Day & Then remix is even better. I know people (specifically Lyre's bich'az) will flip out if I say this, but I might like it more than the orignal.

Edit: Perhaps you wanna try before you buy?

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the Day & Then The Shade remix, almost more than the original. What I like about it is when the electronic part kicks in, you can distinguish the actual melody that is kinda covered up by the DADA-DA DADA-DA (blaring guitars in the original). The arpeggios are really well written I realize; super catchy and awesome with the atmospheric electronica trip hop vibe.

Also, the vocal lines are distributed out much less conventionally. I love how Frank made the "Make a bran new vow... in the heat of an evening" part into a prominent chorus. And then uses the actual chorus only once and in the end- makes in much more powerful.

But come on they're both great songs

@Brave: I love the verse in the original. Not only is it catchy, but it's so upbeat, and totally unexpected from the band. In comparison it makes the prominent chorus seem weak. I don't like that part in either song since the melody is kinda goofy imo. It's so abrupt, and doesn't jell well. The main reason I probably like the remix more is the electronics open up this whole new melodic spectrum instead of all those heavy handed riffs that I'm not overly fond of.

Yea, I have noticed that Katatonia is not a "hooky chorus" type band. A lot of their songs feature verses or even bridges that are better and more melodic than the choruses ("July"'s intro is my favorite part of that song).

I also agree about "Day And Then The Shade". As BlueSky said, the overall melody during the verses sounds rather upbeat and it's a rare sound coming from Katatonia (at least that I've heard thus far). But then the chorus kicks in and it's mediocre at best. The verses and bridge/outro of that song are great. As far as the remix goes, I love the atmospheric intro and the piano keys behind the vocals. It sounds like it is going to build into something grand. But overall, I am not a fan of the "trip hop" beats and once those start in at around the 1:34 mark, it sort of loses my interest. I like when those synthesized beats are mixed with the more traditional guitars/organic percussion (or even when a 80's new wave synth sound is mixed in with modern rock like what The Panic Division currently does). But by themselves, those synth beats just hold no power and feel very empty.
Jack

I don't know about that...I think a whole album of "Unfurls" and "Sold Hearts" would get quite boring with nothing else to mix it up. I love soft vocals against darker music. Soft vocals with soft music doesn't work that well for me as full albums. It's great for a few songs though.

I was desperately waiting for a climax and it ended up plain and boring....Now I can say that there's a katatonia song that I unfortunately dislike :(

Really, is there anyone who saw Katatonia live in this last week and noticed if they had some copies of the ep with them? By the way, it's another week of wait and finally I'll catch 'em live too! Hope to find 'The longest year' there at the gig in Ljubljana, otherwise I'll order it when I'm back.