The Lotus Eater

why are people praising opeth for stealing riffs? I mean, I love the song, but that just seems a little fanboyish

idiot

we're not praising opeth for stealing riffs... we're praising opeth for usnig their influences perfectly and adding them seamlessly to their music.

The only bit I can say that I don't like is the nintendo/dream theater moment with the keyboards, but apart from that it is badass. My favourite bit is the opening blast-beats.

The only bit I can say that I don't like is the nintendo/dream theater moment with the keyboards, but apart from that it is badass. My favourite bit is the opening blast-beats.

^ That's probably the part I like the most... it just fits there because... well, unexpected? Well, I kinda said an oxymoron, but anyway... This song is the shit, along with Heir Apparent. If the other songs are as those its gonna be a pwnful album (haven't listened to Porcelain Heart anyway)

Truly amazing song. Downloaded it from the RR site and I'm very glad I did. This song is all over the place! Going from this to that, from blastbeats with clean vocals to tripped-out keyboard shit. Amazing growls, by the way. Great energy overall, great grrrrreat song. I love it.

Indeed, it is amazing how much Mikael's voice has improved over the years, even only going back as far as Ghost Reveries (where his voice already was super)!

By the way, what is the Scott Walker riff some mentioned?

It's the creepy riff kicking at 5:50 iirc. Clearly influenced by the main riff from Walker's ''Cossacks Are''.

The first 20 seconds or so has a very medieval-esque sound to my ears.

I'm simply lapping this song right up.

That keyboard part is great, I like the way its kinda hard to get your head around.

What is your favorite part and what do you think about the "acoustic" part (5:48-6:22).
This riff is freakin awesome, where else have you heard a riff like this?! Exactly.

This whole CD seems like a cross between MAYH and Ghost reveries so far, even the soloing is very ghost reveries, which is good.

Intro with Mike singing is nothing short of amazing. One of the best Opeth moments. It's very akerfeldt'ish not to use such great melody later in the song. Bastard! Give me more that intro melody, haha!

The Lotus Eater is an amazing song with many layers and audible treats!

If this is Opeth's new direction then kudos to them! The blast beats are a nice touch, as are the amazing keyboard sections, the interplay with the clean/heavy vocals and all of the progressive/jazzy licks.

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

As long as Opeth continue to play different from the norm, I will be happy
Oh, and the acoustic breakdown is fucking amazing.

:OMG::OMG::OMG:

Wow. Absolutely amazing. I broke my promise to not listen to the album before it was released, and I am glad I did! That song had everything, absolutely stunning, wild and crazy every minute of it. I love Mike's vocals, and those blast beats are just intense!!!

The Cossacks Are riff is a total rip of SW but it rocks. I loved that weird keyboard solo thing too. I'm grinning right now.

you mean the part around 5.50 ? cause that just sounds lika dog fashion disco too me :D

Beautiful song!