The Lotus Eater

Ok, I want to try and say this without sounding negitive. I personally don't hear the subbtle nuances in Axe's druming that I did with Lopez's. However, I can see how these traits might develop over time, as Axe becomes more and more comfortable with Opeth. Also consider these two guys have completely different backgrounds in drumming, and while we have developed a taste for Lopez's latin roots, some good old asskicking blast beats is a welcome change.

I can say nothing bad about what I've heard from watershed, it's very technical and very tight.:headbang:

I hear a lot of small details in Axe's drumming. Not like Lopez, sure (at least not like Lopez on GR), but damn he does an amazing job at keeping it interesting and leaving a lot below the surface. He has zero soft parts on either of these songs, too, so I'm looking forward to what he does there.

I was deeply depressed when I heard this song. It is without doubt the worst Opeth song ever, and while that title had before still held merit, this song is just rubbish.

Heh, give it a few listens, it will grow on you most likely.

Also I could probably point out 50 songs by Opeth I like less than The Lotus Eater.

Heh, give it a few listens, it will grow on you most likely.

Also I could probably point out 50 songs by Opeth I like less than The Lotus Eater.
I realize you're just exaggerating, but if I recall correctly, Opeth only has about 60 studio released songs, but maybe you meant to say its one of your favorites. :p

I'm fucking loving the new songs, seriously. I can't get enough of them. And while I'm too lazy to read through all replies in this thread, I can see a lot of negative stuff being said... Seriously, give it a few more listens. It'll probably grow on you.

Agree! I love the new stuff, can not wait for the complete album.
did my pre-order some weeks ago at some shop with a word that reminds you to "play" as soon as the pre-order opened for the Special Edition and when I think about having to wait until June.. still one f****ng month to go...
Can not understand such a delay for a release date Mrs Roadrunner records!
If it is solely based on a desire to create hype: well you succeed.
For us fans of the band it is not precisely a killing time. I have the vocal chorus and the keyboard switches of The Lotus Eater in my mind and can not put them away!

I am sure that again we will "hat off" for Mikael and co.
Call their music progg/blues/death metal mix/ whatever you want, or just Opeth.
I have the chorus and the keyboard switches of The Lotus Eater in my mind and can not put them away!

and btw, if Mikael happens to read this particular post, can not wait to see Opeth live again at bilbao,north of spain playing the new stuff.
cheers.:worship:

I am beginning to like the song,especially the first 5 minutes is great.

I apologize for my comments on thinking not to buy the album ! This album will be a different Opeth album , but it is still good music.

Still,I miss the brutal/evil/melancholic atmosphere of My Arms,Your Hearse

That blast beat just jumps out and kicks ya in the face! Lovin the nice groove near the end. Promised i wouldnt listen to any of the watershed songs until the album came out... had the lotus eater and porcelain heart on repeat since they were released haha.

I realize you're just exaggerating, but if I recall correctly, Opeth only has about 60 studio released songs, but maybe you meant to say its one of your favorites. :p

Yeah 65 or something. :p

And no I wasnt exaggerating. TLE is one of my favs :)

no favorite parts maybe the guitars towards the end...but I will wait to hear the other songs before I will make a judgment on the entire record

I love the progressive thrash guitar + old medieval passages in TLE and HA. Reminds me of Enslaved in parts, but more fluid somehow. I really wasn't expecting this kind of deviancy. I am absolutely BEAMING!

Could not agree more with the quote on the site:

"sounds at once completely like and absolutely nothing like previous Opeth records. Watershed takes all that is Opeth, and goes where Opeth have never gone before"​

Listening now......
Un-freakin-believable!!!!!!!!!!!! Simply amazing! This is sheer brilliance!!!!
I really don't know what words to say, but I've never heard anything like it. I'm in awe and my mind has been blown!!o_O

This is amazing stuff! :worship:Opeth always comes through in reminding me why there is a HUGE difference between REAL music and radio swag.

Who the hell CAN'T like this?? Whoever doesn't like this needs to clean the shit out of their ears!

I'M SOLD!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, Mendez's bass SMOKES on that funk part!

:OMG::OMG::headbang::headbang::kickass::headbang::headbang::OMG::OMG:

It sounds like they speak in different languages in the end, I hear at least some Swedish, maybe Spanish? and English