The malfunction of modern religion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your post seems full of logical fallacies. Sorry to go off topic, but can you kinda find some real reasons why the unique ideologies of conservatism and liberalism are wrong? You do realize they are based on values and not fluffy irrational thought? Like i know a basic social studies class will teach you them but if i recall you were homeschooled so you may have missed that chapter.

To a conservative his ideology is correct, to a liberal his ideology is correct, to a facist his ideology is correct, to a communist his ideolgy is correct. Thats what i was sorta aiming at. And since rational free people exist in all of these parties, they sorta think what they value is right over what the other party values. As well as you must remember that since these people make up what is known as a "population", and are equal in society, and since we live in democracies, their opinions must be respected despite the rule of the majority.

Erebos,

The last part about graven images makes no sense to me; perhaps you could try to explain better the parenthetical part? I don't really understand how it is psychologically coercing anyone either. I mean, the whole issue of the law deals with sin, and in the Bible sin is inseparable from free will, from choice. So if God were somehow coercing people into not worshipping graven images, it would not truly be sin. I mean, your saying that this is bad in your post is just as manipulative as what you wrote about.

If an author can't say what is good and what is bad in his work, what are we left with?

Once again, I am left wondering how any religion can be "wrong". What does wrong even mean in this context?

The last part about graven images makes no sense to me; perhaps you could try to explain better the parenthetical part? I don't really understand how it is psychologically coercing anyone either. I mean, the whole issue of the law deals with sin, and in the Bible sin is inseparable from free will, from choice. So if God were somehow coercing people into not worshipping graven images, it would not truly be sin. I mean, your saying that this is bad in your post is just as manipulative as what you wrote about.

Um, the statements about coercion and graven images were completely separate, only relating in that they were random examples of fallacy.

As for the parenthetical bit; Judaism, according to the bible, was the first "religion" on earth. Right from Adam and Eve humanity worshipped "God," and only later did "false religion" come along. The fact is that Mesopotamian/Sumerian paganism far predates Judaism. There are many relics found from far earlier eras than of Judaism. With this known, it is rather obvious that the writers of the old testament through in the "no graven images" bit to explain why there are NO traces of Judaism in earlier eras - they make bullshit claims to ancient oral tradition.

Well, im catholic, so obviously the pope's or probably more importantly the church's divine connection with God almighty. Cryosteel is saying a big ol dirty problem in christianity is that we christians are losing our connection with God that transcends the temporal world. So you see, the importance or significance of this transcendence is crucial to our religion. Prayer is believed to be the way in which we carry out this process. But im suspecting you know this.

Status
Not open for further replies.