The Midwestern Snow

Bryan316

METAL... nuff said!
HELL YEAH my back hates me for shoveling all this snow. Avalanche is in Heaven now! I just took him for a walk (after I caught a 3-hour nap, exhaustion kicked in after I took a shower) and that furry bastard took me down a block that the street was plowed, all onto an unshoveled sidewalk. I was taking single steps at a time just to lift my legs over each step of packed snow, and he's just PULLIN' on me to hurry up! That little fucker's got four-wheel drive from BIRTH! I'ma gonna make him suffer tomorrow... take him to a park and just hurl his tire forever! Let him run himself ragged! Heh heh heh...

Welcome Winter.

Now go the fuck back!

I've got a bad back anyway, and since I'm the only driver in my apartment, I HAVE to shovel (at least my space). Let me tell you what, my back is yelling at me something fierce right now.

And I'd rather go back and drive in Minnesota, then drive with the fucking idiots out here during the snow. It snowed last week and it took me 4.5 hours to drive 20 miles. It was fucking sad. (Because the freeways were parking lots)

-Metal

I've got a bad back anyway, and since I'm the only driver in my apartment, I HAVE to shovel (at least my space). Let me tell you what, my back is yelling at me something fierce right now.

And I'd rather go back and drive in Minnesota, then drive with the fucking idiots out here during the snow. It snowed last week and it took me 4.5 hours to drive 20 miles. It was fucking sad. (Because the freeways were parking lots)

-Metal

That's actually what I hate most about Connecticut. The drivers all need their license taken away and be retested. They're horrible enough when there's no weather conditions. Throw in rain during the fall and there's at least 1 accident every mile on 84. When I went to school there, I had numerous people pull out halfway into a lane coming out of a parking lot and THEN stop and check if anyone was coming.
The major issue I see in NY are the idiots with 4 wheel drive who think they can go 60 mph and magically have no problems stopping.

That's actually what I hate most about Connecticut. The drivers all need their license taken away and be retested. They're horrible enough when there's no weather conditions. Throw in rain during the fall and there's at least 1 accident every mile on 84. When I went to school there, I had numerous people pull out halfway into a lane coming out of a parking lot and THEN stop and check if anyone was coming.
The major issue I see in NY are the idiots with 4 wheel drive who think they can go 60 mph and magically have no problems stopping.

No shit. When we had that close down the state snow storm last week- (which to the Midwesterners would be a typical snow)- I was behind a 1/2 ton 4x4 Truck who was weaving in and out of lanes (not like you could really see them) but he damn near hit me so I honked my horn. He yelled something nasty out the window of his car and all I could think of is, "Dude, you've got a fucking 4 wheel drive truck, and I'm driving an station wagon and I have better control over my vehicle? You need to get off the fucking road.)

And I had never seen so many people blow red lights and try and turn into my lane on when I had a green. Fuck you. I've been in my car for 3+ hours, I'm not even half way home, I'm almost out of gas, I have to pee and I'm out of smokes, I have the green light and a shitty car, I WILL hit you.

-Metal

The further east you go, the worse the drivers get (at least from east of the Mississippi). I too love the soccer moms in the SUVs blasting down the road at the speed limit when it's sippery as hell. It's pretty common when there is a really bad storm here to see cars abandoned on the side of the road. You see more SUVs, Jeeps, and 4x4s than anything else. 4-wheel drive does not help you stop quicker. The only thing it will do is make you slide straight ahead instead of spinning. But if you've got a rear-wheel drive car, you just pop it into neutral and you'll stop as well or better than a 4x4 that's in gear.

I drove a Firebird with 12" wide tires, and posi (makes the back end slide sideways when the tires spin) in the winter for 10 years. I'm driving a front-wheel drive car now. I hate it. When the drive wheels spin, you have no control at all. At least with a rear-wheel drive car, if the front wheels start sliding, you can give it some gas and get the rear end to spin around the corner. In a front-wheel drive car, once those front tires start to slide, you can just hang on 'cuz nothing you do can change things.

I love winter. I love snow. I don't particularly love shoveling, but it's kinda nice. It's always really peaceful since snow absorbs so much sound. It's beautiful too.

Ann Arbor is a terrible place to drive after a storm. So it ended yesterday, right? Well, we walked up through our (unplowed) subdivision to catch the bus today. As we crossed the main road to get to the bus stop, we went "huh, roads are fine... if we could only get out of our subdivision!", forgetting, of course, that we live in the County and NOT in Ann Arbor. Sure enough, crossed into Ann Arbor and BAM slippery slushy roads the WHOLE way to work. Any sidewalks at intersections were plowed in and I had to jump through all that snow to cross the road - and drivers here are shitty when roads are CLEAR.

They panic here, too, when bad weather hits. We've learned to stay at work late, eat dinner, do a little shopping, and then drive home. The roads are still unplowed, unsalted, unsandeded and entirely untreated, but we're the only car left on the road.

I'm just hoping next Sunday the weather is good from here through Chicago all the way to South Dakota or we may be not going anywhere for Christmas!

I miss the snow, and I miss drivers who can handle poor weather conditions... but I'm also entirely spoiled now. After living in Texas for a year, I whine when it gets down to "jacket weather" temperatures. I escaped the winter, I don't want anything to do with it anymore, but I have to admit that Christmas doesn't feel the same without blinding-white sideways snow storms. :Smug:

This year I finally bought a snow blower. My parents had one when I grew up as a kid. It was a necessity for the long ass driveway we had in Pittsburgh area, especially for the once a decade power snows (2 feet or more).

But where I now live in northern Virginia, I've always made do with a hand shovel.. but I hurt my shoulder this year and I'm not gonna shovel this crap unless I have to. So I plunked down $450 this weekend at Lowes this weekend for a gasoline engine powered snow blower. We don't have any snow yet, but I'm sure we'll have snow coming in January or February. Usually we get a couple of snows here a winter, but this time I'm ready! :)

They all need to come to Western NY and get a driving lesson! For the most part people here truly do attempt to use their heads with the weather. Although, we are surrounded by a bunch of "Billy-Bobs" with their huge ass trucks driving like a-holes, but they do that in the good weather too (giggle).

Last year before winter 'set in' here in Atlanta, I remember Lara and I were thinking out loud in the IRC Chat that maybe THAT winter would be THE winter, when Atlanta got its once-every-twenty-years blizzard (i.e, 2 or 3 inches of snow).

We were wrong.

But maybe THIS will be the year!! Moo hoo haa haa

They all need to come to Western NY and get a driving lesson! For the most part people here truly do attempt to use their heads with the weather. Although, we are surrounded by a bunch of "Billy-Bobs" with their huge ass trucks driving like a-holes, but they do that in the good weather too (giggle).

Where in WNY ya live?!

Sounds like Texas to me :lol: :lol:

you did NOT name your dog after the most evil hockey team in the world!!!!!!! :zombie:

My brother named his dog after the most destructive force of winter!

Okay it was the first puppy to run through the doggy-door at the end of Snow Dogs. He promised when he finally got a Malamute that would be his name. And trust me, when I'm playing with him using the laser pointer, he's a fuckin' avalanche rampaging through my hallway!!!