the mighty SymX in Providence, last night

WhiteBeastofWotan

Apostitutes!
May 22, 2003
Philly
Visit site
Ok, so me and my friend got there a little early, and ended up staying outside in the freezing cold because the stupid people opened the doors really late. Bad start to a good night.

SO we get in there, get a spot right in front. Pretty soon, this local band whose name i have forgotten went on. They were pretty good, straightforward european sounding melodeath. Crowd response was horrible, they only got going when they played a cover, which i also don't remember the name. They played for maybe 45 minutes or so... nothing amazing, but it wasn't bad.

Next up... The mighty... Symphony X!
They opened with Inferno (i'm pretty sure the setlist was the same for the rest of the tour). Immediately got me and many others headbangin away. At this moment i would like to say that i could watch Michael Romeo play for hours. That man is incredible. Russel is an amazing singer too (what a great range). Haha though at one point my friend, who is pretty new to symphony x, turned to me and said that he sounded like a black gospel singer. Only thing that bothered me a little bit was the "singing" of Romeo and Lepond. It was so obvious that they were lipsinking that i kind of wished that they just left it as samples playing and not even tried to pretend. But thats a very minor complaint. The setlist was great, i think only able to be improved by adding Out of The Ashes (but this is just a matter of opinion). On a side note Russel is a funny dude...
The highlight of the night was probably the encore, The odyssey (i don't think i can spell that word correctly). When they said they were going to play it, i was thinking, "oh shit... a long song, this is gonna be boring by the end" (keep in mind that i have ADD, and it takes a lot to keep my attention for an extended period of time). It was amazing. I was sad when it was over...
In summary, it was an amazing night, and I can easily say it was THE BEST concert i have been to (and i have been to quite a few). I look forward to seeing these guys again in the future.

I myself was at the show last night up front. I had a Pagans Mind t-shirt on.

No offense but the first band was terrible IMO. That singer blew ass he couldnt even sing Rock you like a hurricane by the Scorpions. Oh wow he can scream monotone....what talent. YAWN.

Symphony X was stellar as usual but you can tell Russells voice is takin a pounding on this tour. He's usually much more dynamic (this was my 8th or 9th SX show), but its not a complaint by any means. With the power he carries in his singing style it is to be expected.....plus he still sounded good!

After the show I hung around to get my vanity plate autographed....

SYMFNYXSIGNED.jpg

Hey, I was there with the guys from Ravage, that was a great time! :headbang:

Did you take one of Ravage's demo? If so, tell me how you liked it.

I had a black 'Ubergamer' shirt on with gray sleeves, and two black sweatbands on my wrists....

Were any of you guys at the MA show as well?

For the dude that said 'the short girl', are you talking about the girl sitting on the thing in the very front, she was right in front of me.

Wolftribe said:
Were you all the way on the left? cuz if so, that was a different goil...
We were dead center

Yep, all the way to the left, right next to Romeo. :worship:

Was the goil you were with laying on the things (were those subwoofers?) at one point?

I was at the show. I was wearing an Evergrey "In Search of Truth" shirt. You might remember me for two out bursts. I was the bonehead who screamed out "In Human Form" much too loud when the opening band asked if we wanted them to play some Death. Also, my dorky friends and I were the ones always yelling out or chanting "Dressed to Kill" the whole show. This is my 3rd time seeing SX live, and I guess from what I've seen every show, Russel just needs some warming up. By the time they got to the encore they were dead on. Well, It's off to the Nevermore show in Worcester tonight. I know some of you guys are going too. I'll be wearing a longsleeve Opeth shirt. (like that will narrow it down at all) See ya

Gonfeldurok said:
Hey, I was there with the guys from Ravage, that was a great time! :headbang:

Did you take one of Ravage's demo? If so, tell me how you liked it.

I had a black 'Ubergamer' shirt on with gray sleeves, and two black sweatbands on my wrists....

Were any of you guys at the MA show as well?
I didnt take a Ravage demo, but I do have the Ravage CD, and yeap I like it! One of the very few MA power metal bands I actually like.

I was at all 3 Worcester MA shows. Openers were Blind Guardian, then Seven Witches, then Devin. I've also seen SX in NY, and NJ as well.

Yooo Drumr..include the whole pic ya jackass!!
i was in the Edguy shirt
EvilFrostJc2.jpg

my little momento's of the night :
romeoposter.jpg

sxposter.jpg

Killer set the openers sing truly sucked ass..the guitar players were good tho.I think i saw the drummer eatin Big Mac's earlier in the day... i could be wrong

I think i saw the drummer eatin Big Mac's earlier in the day... i could be wrong

Are you implying that there's something wrong with Big Mac's!? :err:
haha, i tried to take a flyer and failed miserably... all I got was "PhonyX"

I saw SyX in Omaha, and the bgvs were not lip synced at that show. Sometimes they do use a pre-recorded clip for chorus background vocals such as on Sins and Shadows, but MJR and LePond were doing real background vocals on the other songs.

HomerSimpson said:
They lipsink the backing vocals :erk: :ill: ? What about Pinella?
They weren't lipsinking when I saw them in Pittsburgh. Actually, some of the backing vocals were great while others were lousy. They were great in "Communion" but not so good on others. There was even one point where Romeo stopped singing and LePond was looking over at him like "Hey man, the parts not done. I'm still singing now get back on the mic".

The only vocal I've ever seen that they didn't do live was the choral chants in "Of Sins and Shadows", but they didn't play that this time around so it sounded to me like everything was live.

Yeah, the vocals are definitly not lipsynced at all. In fact that is clearly the area of production that SyX has been focusing on the most, and I think they are doing a fanastic job with it. Really tightens up the live show to sounding, dare I say even more professional. I was at the Providence show and I thought they were fantastic. I can't believe how tight Accolade II was, that seems to me like a really tough song to arrange for a live performance. Poor Russell was really having problems with his voice, probably sick or somthing, but he fought through it like a trooper. That first band was miserably terrible. Also their singer was the worst frontman in history, even if you aren't getting the best crowd responce, you have be to confident up there. He was like 'ohhh people like us in North Carolina :('. Romeo was really on though, he burned through a few licks in a manner that really had me contemplating just throwing my guitar into the lake. Could they speed of the Sea of Lies breakdown anymore? Someone said Russell Allen in an amazing voice, which was the highlight, haha.

Wolftribe said:
I saw the entire opening band in Worcester at the Nevermore/DB show last night hehe i wanted to say something

My lord did Childern of Bodom ever rip that place a new one. That was one of the best live performances I have ever seen! The rest of the acts kinda blew in my opinion though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Russ had picked up a cold or something, everyone else in the world has, and with all the handshaking they do after shows, etc. I'm sure the germs spread quickly.

Anyway, when I saw him in Pittsburgh he was incredible! Hit almost every note without a hitch. He was even modest enough to say that he'd had better nights when I told him he sounded incredible! That Russell! :)