Complete SymX noob

The explanation to SX board's fixation with Dream Theater is the penis envy, that DT is the bigger band.

A similar situation is found with Metallica and Megadeth. Metallica boards barely mind Megadeth, while Megadeth boards constantly have something about how Metallica sucks.

And that's just the way it is...no other explanation needed.

Is not strange that we found out about a band through another. All I can say is that Rush got me in to Prog, I was just a kid when Tom Sawyer came out, but I fell in love with the constant changes in Neal Peart's drums, then I found out about Queenryche and Fates Warning. After that I kind of moved with the Hair Rock and many metal bands like old School Metallica, Iron Maiden to name a few. I got married at 20 and I reduce my albums purchases a lot, up until 1994 when I first listened to DT, and because of that I'd found many great bands like SYX which is Favorite along with DT and Shadow Gallery. Magna Carta had a lot to do with it.
So focusing on the first post, my favorite album is V too, but Divin Wings of Tragedy is a very close second place. The heck with it, this band rocks, and after watching them live all I can say is that "I can die in peace now". :D
So man, you have a lot of listening to do, and please support the band.

i LOVE DT, but divine wings of tragedy is probably the best place to start, because its not overly heavy, more like DT than the rest of their albums