the moor

Pseud0 said:
some people think they are overrated. If these suck, I would REALLY like to hear good quality. Please apprentice, tell me, what headphones are good?
Grado
Sennheiser
Audio Technica
Shure

Truthfully though, I'm not too familiar with Bose headphones, but if they're anything like their loudspeaker counterparts, then they're probably overprised, and compromised in audio accuracy. Get a $100 Grado or Sennheiser with a good source and it'll probably leave the Bose in the dust. But your ears might already be conditioned to like the colored, distorted sound that the Bose might be giving out. In audio reproduction, neutral is ALWAYS the aim. Leave the distortion to equalizers.

I myself had a pair of Sennheiser HD497 for about $50, but now I'm using Audio Technica ATH-500 for $100 imported from Japan. Great stuff. No marketing hype sound.

deliverance said:
lol apprentice, you are quite the headphone enthusiast. i just have 15 dollar jobbers as of now.
Is that your main hardware for sound reproduction? :erk:

Edit: Oh, and I'm hardly an enthuiast, lol. I just want some decent quality to go with decent, quality music. Make sense, huh? If you ask any hardcore classical or jazz music listener what equipment they listen to, they'll probably say headphones and/or speakers that will total well over $1000. Add another $1000 for amps/cables and you're talking about a $2000 + stereo rig. Now THAT's an enthuiast, lol.

Apprentice's Master said:
I myself had a pair of Sennheiser HD497 for about $50, but now I'm using Audio Technica ATH-500 for $100 imported from Japan. Great stuff. No marketing hype sound.
Audio Technica seems to be a really good yet underrated brand. I've been using an ATH-230 for some time now and they're really good. $50 from amazon, and the reviews of them said they were probably the best in that price range-- probably correct.

Pseud0 said:
you can't really know though... you havn't actually heard the sound quality.
But then again, you haven't either. ;)

I have heard and read enough of Bose to know that they SEVERELY compromise on the accuracy of sound reproduction and inflate their prices due to their marketing genius and brand recognition from the unknowning masses. Maybe they do sound decent for you, but until you try some better stuff you won't know what you're missing. But I do know what I'm gaining by not using Bose...I hear it in my ears and feel it in my wallet, LOL. :Spin:

Pseud0 said:
well its not like i bought it, my mummy got it for m3 last december
Hey, man I'm not trying rip on you, just letting the word out on Bose. If you're still happy, then fine. In the end, it's up to you how you like your sound. But since your mom gave it to you, I guess it has more sentimental value than qualitative value in the first place. ;)

Oh, and uh...the Moor...yeah. I "feel" it when the channel goes out and it actually tickles my ears. Not so comfortable.

no not at all lol. i have good speakers for my computer, and good speakers with my room shelf stereo, and plus i listen to most of my music in my car, just stock speakers, but..shit they do a good job. the headphones are strictly for when i'm filling the huge ass beverage cooler at work, i need my tunes in there!
i went shopping today to find a new shelf stereo or home theater, and saw a few things. i decided i'm going with a dvd home theater setup, and get rid of my stereo, since it's being a bitch (which is why i want the home theater, basically for playing cds..but of course i watch dvds too hah)

ok, i've said enough, it's time for sleep.

apprentice's master said:
Oh, and uh...the Moor...yeah. I "feel" it when the channel goes out and it actually tickles my ears. Not so comfortable.

i know exactly what you mean. its really wierd with headphones on.

Edit: Oh, and I'm hardly an enthuiast, lol. I just want some decent quality to go with decent, quality music. Make sense, huh? If you ask any hardcore classical or jazz music listener what equipment they listen to, they'll probably say headphones and/or speakers that will total well over $1000. Add another $1000 for amps/cables and you're talking about a $2000 + stereo rig. Now THAT's an enthuiast, lol.

I read a review of some headphones that cost $5500. But that's not all, the cable (1 meter long) was 2250. And of course, the headphones needed a special type of amp that was only $2500. :erk:

Headphones goddammit!