The New Album Thread

question from the video for Matt...
I noticed you muted some strings with these little pads....are they an actual product or home made dealies?? also what about the pads? at the bridge and at the nut? what are those made of?
Thanks

Matt, I just want you to know that I go on the same type of camera runs.. the funny adventures and naming and calling up random things, and talking to the audience from behind the camera.

..I guess it's the perk of being a film bachelor's undergraduate :p

keep on rockin, guys!

-one of the 5, that confronted you at Prog Power 6, and demanded the photograph.

\m/

Spyderman-Hyderman said:
question from the video for Matt...
I noticed you muted some strings with these little pads....are they an actual product or home made dealies?? also what about the pads? at the bridge and at the nut? what are those made of?
Thanks

That's just tape on the actual strings, and some pieces of foam at the bridge and nut.

OK, a little update...
Drums are finished for all but 3 songs. Rhythm guitars and bass are finished for all but one song. Lead and background vocals are finished for 3 songs. My goal is to have everything recorded by the end of May except for choirs, some lead guitars and some keyboards. :kickass:

Hey Matt,
I was watching your video update/teaser and couldn't believe what a sweet setup you have. I was mostly wondering about either what kind of upgrades you've been able to get to your recording studio since your first ablum, or how it is that you were able to start your own recording process in the first place.

I personally have started writting and recording my own stuff (and like you before Shawn, having to deal with a drum machine) but only with a mini-disc player and my computer. Since i've started doing my own recording, I've really started to admire how much work you must put into all your songs.

Can't wait for the next album man,..

Just a lot of upgrading over time. Since I started doing this about 10 years ago, I started with a 4-track cassette, eventually moved up to 8-track cassette, 16-track digital workstation (which is what I did the first album with), and now to a DAW. So it's definitely been a slow process. I think a big mistake a lot of kids make these days is to fall for the salesmen's pitch and get a full DAW before they've even learned any of the basics. The way I did it allowed me to learn about busses and routing, signal flow, gain staging, etc. and then when I was able to upgrade, I knew kinda what I was doing. Of course, learning from a pro on a big console would be best, but since I was self-taught, I'm very thankful I had to start small and work my way up. Still working my way up...don't have that big SSL console yet, but... :lol:

I had to make sure i had the most up to date version of quicktime
then I had picture but the sound was all messes up.
so then i opened the tools menu in quicktime and adjusted the sample rate.
then it worked fine

Acoustic guitars are done; got a really nice sound. Drums are done for all but one song (granted, it's the longest song on the album). This week will be drum editing and hopefully finishing the last of the rhythm guitars. I'll keep you updated.