The new Blood Red Throne album.

Hrrrmmmgles. Well I must say to the contrary that I, personally, the biggest Blood Red Throne fanboy I know, he who's favourite DM band of all time is almost certainly Blood Red Throne, and who's alltime favourite DM album is indupidably Monument of Death, is quite disappointed with Altered Genesis!! I *think* and indeed sincerely hope that this initial reaction is simply because my expectations were unrealistically sky-high, but put simply, Monument of Death and, to a slightly lesser but still commendable degree, Affiliated With the Suffering, both had a great many instantly memorable moments and riffs...that really *forced* me to take notice. In comparison, there may be one or two moments on Altered Genesis that have done the same. One or two...compared to two or three times every song on MoD and a dozen or so times on AwtS. That in itself really deflated me. I've listened maybe three or four times and it really hasn't caught me yet. I'm hearing good riffs, but nothing much like the quality before. Don't get me wrong, so far as I can hear, Altered Genesis is a spectacular DM album by anyone's standards, but compared to the first two i'm just not impressed yet. *shrugs and sighs* I hope it grows on me, I really do. But as for being better than MoD or AwtS? No WAY Jose.

Sculpted, give it some more spins. I was initially disappointed with it too, but listened to it about 10 times in a row, and then it clicked. The riffs grow on you, at least they did that with me. And it's a LOT better than "Monument..", perhaps not better than "Affiliated", but at least on par with it.

It is not a lot better or any better than Monument of Death. That will never be topped, riffwise, by any DM album now or ever. One thing that is definately lacking on the new BRT album is the drums. It mystifies me that they reportedly kicked their AwtS drummer out of the band because he wasn't up to par, but the drumming on AG is very straightfoward and simplistic, which annoys me because it was actively interesting on the previous two albums. On Altered Genesis the drums do nothing but keep a fast, constant beat. There's no groove or anything in them anymore.

Gah, screw that lol I'll just be nice to BRT and pay my money when the album comes out.

Desperately want to get their demo Deathmix 2000, I've got everything else. Mabye I should stop being so lame and trying to be nit picky lol

Okay, i'm giving it much more dedicated attention listening to it now, and the riffs are starting to reveal and unfurl themselves into greatness, but there aren't many little details that kick me in the face, like the opening to Malignant Nothingness, the leads near the end in Bleeder's Lament, the riff changeup about a minute and twenty into Portrait of a Killer, the crazy drum and guitar interplay two minutes into Affiliated with the Suffering, the catchy vocal rhythms in Path of Flesh, the uber thrashy opening to Unleashing Hell and Ravenous War Machine... *sighs with nostalgia*

I haven't really noticed any little bits like that on Altered Genesis yet, with the exception of the sweet guitar plodding and bass quiverings in Ripsaw Resentment that start at a minute forty.

TOTALLY KILLER "Altered Genesis" moments:

Incarnadine Mangler - opening riff, outro
Tortured Soul Appearance - The "mellow" bridge parts, and the extremely cool riff that starts at 2:00 and is frequently used later on in the song.
Mephitication - opening/main verse riff, the fast riff that's straight before the brilliant outro, and of course the almost 50 second long outro
Arterial Lust - 2:08-2:28
Ripsaw Resentment - Intro/opening riff, the "guitar plodding/bass quiverings" you mentioned, and definitely the solo that comes straight after it, outro.
Altered Genesis - 3:29 and onwards
Smite - Several mid paced, groovy moments during the entire song, and of course the closing riffs.
State Of Darkness - Main verse riff, the riff that kicks in at 2:15, solo.

TOTALLY KILLER "Altered Genesis" moments:

Incarnadine Mangler - opening riff,bleh, typical BRT, but doesn't catch me
outro Yeah, the part before the opener riff comes back

Tortured Soul Appearance - The "mellow" bridge parts,Interesting...I suppose they have a feeling of suspense about 'em
and the extremely cool riff that starts at 2:00 and is frequently used later on in the song. Decent riff, but not a killer moment for me.

Mephitication - opening/main verse riff, another typical BRT riff, but those particular riffs generally never catch me
the fast riff that's straight before the brilliant outro, isn't that just the intro riff again? I see a pattern! Either way, again doesn't stand-out to me
and of course the almost 50 second long outro Yeah, the riff here is deliciously evil, but maybe it's slightly too long.

Arterial Lust - 2:08-2:28 *shrugs* reminiscent of Path of Flesh's pace and rhythm, but that song is far superior, don't you think? I actually really love the riffs that come after that part; very distinctive.

Ripsaw Resentment - Intro/opening riff, not the typical BRT intro riff, but nothing exceptional either to me.
the "guitar plodding/bass quiverings" you mentioned probably my favourite little 'bit' of the album.
and definitely the solo that comes straight after it, I actually find this a let-down...especially when you compare it to the similar Bleeder's Lament, which is masterful. The melody in this lead is rather vague and slow
outro. The solo is good...the ending, yet again, is the typical BRT approach; very speedy pace and thrashy riffing mixed a recurring theme; usually riffs from the intro, to draw to a swift and memorable conclusion. Alas. With me usually not loving the intro riffage on this album, the endings aren't as interesting to me, but the pace is always handled well.

Altered Genesis - 3:29 and onwards I actually really like the start of this song. Highly reminiscent of the catchy, irresistable yet crushing openings of The Children Shall Endure and Chaos Rising! The latter half of the song is decent but not as impressive to me.

Smite - Several mid paced, groovy moments during the entire song, and of course the closing riffs. Yeah, this song on AG seems to continue the groovy, midpaced trend followed first from Mary Whispers of Death on MoD and RazorJack from AwtS, but to be honest, I find those songs much catchier, especially Mary...

State Of Darkness - Main verse riff, Yeah, it's good, but dammit, it still sounds rather 'anonymous' by BRT standards!
the riff that kicks in at 2:15, I prefer the more melodic riffs just before, but it's okay
solo. Okay, the solos on this album are produced very strangely, but I like the fact they're putting more solos into the albums, but still restraining from using them all the time. They're well placed for effect.

Okay, well, after all that ATD, i'd just like to say that although on the whole I sound rather negative, i'd like to assert again that I still think Blood Red Throne have a rather disproportionate share of awesome DM riffs (I still think they write the best riffs in DM) and that there aren't likely to be many other straight-up DM albums to match it this year (i'd be surprised), I was just hoping for more. It is growing on me slowly though, and i'll no doubt enjoy it more when I have it on CD too.

I finally managed to download the album. I think the sound is a lot heavier than previous works but I agree with SculptedCold, the riffing is nowhere near as memorable as the albums Monument of Death and Affiliated with the Suffering. It's an enjoyable album but it's not made me go "holy shit" like those two albums did.