The new chat thread - now with bitter arguing

It all begins tomorrow, for us locals, the Stanley Cup playoffs
as a Pittsburgh Penguin fan, all I can say is
Lord Stanley, Lord Stanley, pass us the brandy -

See you in the playoffs. ESPN predicted no upsets except the Stars taking out Anaheim. Whatever, I like Flyers over Ovechkin - whoops, I meant the Capitals. Should be an awesome series though. I'm looking forward to at least getting to the second round, but I won't count my chickens before they hatch, and continue to knock on wood (only superstitious when it comes to sports). :p

God exists after all.

Logical fallacy, in this case anyway.

@ Dred, its cool to see your shout out(Rod Sex) to Alex Rodriguez of the New York Yankees in your sig.
as we all know ARod gets all the woman, all the money and all the cars
I don't think it has anything to do with A-Rod actually....but he's still a bitch.

ArodPurse.jpg

@suwat: positions are still open, please drop by to leave your CV, office hours.

Afaik she doesn't just want one person for that position.
I claim to be her favorite though.
Matse is right, as always. Sometimes i think he can read my mind.

She is probably dead.
Or no, he can't. :Smug:

For those wondering, i've been busy playing neurologist the last couple of weeks.

Allright, allright, dammit.

Our problem.
I was expecting that when I first posted, and had a suitable reply ready to go. Unfortunately that was a few hours ago, and I'm buggered if I can actually remember what it was. Something to do with multiple personality disorder. I'll leave you to fill in the details and roll your eyes accordingly.

Just won this on eBay (lost the first auction, but won this way cheaper):

laphroaig30.jpg

Konrad, you filthy motherfucker, you had no idea what you turned me into when mentioned Laphroaig on this boards long ago :heh: I'm totally hooked up on it now. Well, I don't drink it every day, of course, but I downed quite a few bottles from last October.

Now hunting down vintage editions of different bottling: got 1991 (16 year old vintage, #49 of 199), 2000 (7 year old signature vintage), always have 15 and 10 year old at home (latter - not that often, to strong, in alcohol volume and in flavor), 30 year old bottle should come in next week.

Actually, 30 year old is selling out, so if you can find any these days - INVEST. It's going to be up in 500-1000 range very soon (it's already ~$500 in some places, depends). I found a place where they still have them relatively cheap, but they don't ship to my area (state laws). Saving money for a 40 year old bottle - the prices are astronomical for alcohol, but I'm getting that one eventually :cool:

Strange enough, can't enjoy other whiskies normally ("bestselling" Glenfiddich is a fucking mouthwash), but trying other smokey-flavored ones.

Life is good :)

The biggest disadvantage of drinking expensive alcoholic beverages is that afterwards it is impossible to drink the cheaper brands ever again because they suddenly taste even worse than they did before. That may not be that bad for someone who can afford it but for me as a poor student it is bad.
I am currently in the about 20€ per bottle section. Makes getting drunk expensive. At least beer here is really good and affordable. But it takes a while to get a Bavarian drunk with beer.

The biggest disadvantage of drinking expensive alcoholic beverages is that afterwards it is impossible to drink the cheaper brands ever again because they suddenly taste even worse than they did before. That may not be that bad for someone who can afford it but for me as a poor student it is bad.
I am currently in the about 20€ per bottle section. Makes getting drunk expensive. At least beer here is really good and affordable. But it takes a while to get a Bavarian drunk with beer.

Yeah, considering anything cheaper is pointless afterwards :) Even though scotch isn't about getting drunk for me - more to relax and enjoy from time to time, one bottle is usually enough for several months, so it's worth the money, absolutely.

I was expecting that when I first posted, and had a suitable reply ready to go. Unfortunately that was a few hours ago, and I'm buggered if I can actually remember what it was. Something to do with multiple personality disorder. I'll leave you to fill in the details and roll your eyes accordingly.

Is that so? Well, then, let me tell you,

Just won this on eBay (lost the first auction, but won this way cheaper):

laphroaig30.jpg

Konrad, you filthy motherfucker, you had no idea what you turned me into when mentioned Laphroaig on this boards long ago :heh: I'm totally hooked up on it now. Well, I don't drink it every day, of course, but I downed quite a few bottles from last October.

Now hunting down vintage editions of different bottling: got 1991 (16 year old vintage, #49 of 199), 2000 (7 year old signature vintage), always have 15 and 10 year old at home (latter - not that often, to strong, in alcohol volume and in flavor), 30 year old bottle should come in next week.

Actually, 30 year old is selling out, so if you can find any these days - INVEST. It's going to be up in 500-1000 range very soon (it's already ~$500 in some places, depends). I found a place where they still have them relatively cheap, but they don't ship to my area (state laws). Saving money for a 40 year old bottle - the prices are astronomical for alcohol, but I'm getting that one eventually :cool:

Strange enough, can't enjoy other whiskies normally ("bestselling" Glenfiddich is a fucking mouthwash), but trying other smokey-flavored ones.

Life is good :)

I'm in trouble :lol:

Ταλκινγ αβοθτ αλψοηολ, υοθ'δ βε σθρπρισεδ ηος μθψη ισ ψονσιδερεδ α νορμαλ ;θαντιτυ περ ςεεκ.

Oh wait, that was in greek. Must remember to use alt+shift next time.

Heh nice to see my good influences are blossoming ;)
The Laphroaig is very high on my list, Im also very fond of the more smoky whiskies. I bought the Lagavulin 16 some time ago, very good whiskie tbh.
Im not going to buy a 30yo anytime soon, for one I dont have this kind of money to invest in alcohol, two I dont think I have enough experience to have developped a taste that could taste the fine differences. Im going to try out more of the "basic" stuff while carefully climbing up the quality ladder ;)
On the subject of Glenfiddich: I tried the 12yo, which was total shit. But it's to be expected actually, whiskie is a good where quality comes from "sorting out", and Glenfiddich make profit with mass, which says all about the sorting out. I heard the 15yo, 18yo and Caoran Reserve were decent, the 30yo is even said to be very good, but I was never interested enough to risk myself again. I dont think Im missing out on a lot.. maybe one day I'll try out the 30yo, maybe as my first. In the worst case I didnt pay much and left much room for improvements ;)

Heh nice to see my good influences are blossoming ;)
The Laphroaig is very high on my list, Im also very fond of the more smoky whiskies. I bought the Lagavulin 16 some time ago, very good whiskie tbh.
Im not going to buy a 30yo anytime soon, for one I dont have this kind of money to invest in alcohol, two I dont think I have enough experience to have developped a taste that could taste the fine differences. Im going to try out more of the "basic" stuff while carefully climbing up the quality ladder ;)
On the subject of Glenfiddich: I tried the 12yo, which was total shit. But it's to be expected actually, whiskie is a good where quality comes from "sorting out", and Glenfiddich make profit with mass, which says all about the sorting out. I heard the 15yo, 18yo and Caoran Reserve were decent, the 30yo is even said to be very good, but I was never interested enough to risk myself again. I dont think Im missing out on a lot.. maybe one day I'll try out the 30yo, maybe as my first. In the worst case I didnt pay much and left much room for improvements ;)

Haha :D

I'm actually looking for Lagavulin (pronounced "smokiest whisky evarrrr" as far as I remember), but i can't find it in stores in Philadelphia, I will be in NYC on Saturday, so will check there (also - on absinthe, as they legalized it in the States, previously had thujone-free one).

Same story with Glenfiddich - sure enough I picked up a small 12 y/o bottle, and planning to give the remnants (after a few sips) to some lucky bum. As you said - I'll try something older later.

You are absolutely right about building up taste: whisky by itself is "taste acquired", and jumping onto 30 year old whisky from the beginning is sort of rushing it. However, I'm planning to load up on a few 30 year old bottles, because I still can get them relatively inexpensive, but they will be sold out shortly, and when new "generation" comes in - it will be around the same price range, so I better start enjoying it now ;)

Got my 7 year old Signature Vintage bottle today... sadly it says it was "distilled by Laphroaig distillery", doesn't carry Laphroaig on it itself, but we'll see how it actually tastes ;)

I feel absolutely awful. I went for a haircut yesterday to get rid of the split ends, i made it clear i don't want to lose much length, and my hair feels awfully short today. If i lived in the US i would sue the fucking bitch. Hairdressers must die. :cry: