The new chat thread - now with bitter arguing

Yeah, I loved it too, but I can't find anything so cool beyond "revolutionary" form factor for $1800. Any news on battery life (not user replaceable)? Cuz if it lives for 48 hours on full brightness with ongoing recharging for 2 years - it's well worth it.

Ha, I just been recently asking myself why would I need Mac for (thinking to get one of those laptops), but still can't find the answer.

Well, I have enough computers already :)

Updated my iPhone with new firmware - wiggling icons for the win!!1! Movie rentals are cool, I'm looking into it (AppleTV?)

Too bad their stock is down :/

Hehehe I was so sure that you would be the one to reply to my post :p . Yeah, the price is quite "generous," but I didn't know the stuff about battery life. I thought I read that it only lasted 5 hours..., maybe I was looking at another model. And as you said, if it lasts 48h ( o_O ), full brightness and with a single charge, it's certainly worth it.

I'd go for the MacBook Pro though :kickass: .

Im one worried little guy. The test for the academy is in about 1.5 weeks and I just found out there are 300 applicants :(. There, of course, will be people who are more qualified for the job than I, but as long as I give it my all I should be in decent shape.

N

@nick: good luck. you can make it.

nf: in less that 20 hours i may be in the real press. a small paper, but still a paper. go me!

i also read that it lasted 5h

Not worth it; SONY had tiny laptops years ago (I've seen one in 2004, I think), it had a replaceable battery, and even on the original one someone managed to pull entire day - the computer was on, but been used from time to time, I think it was holding on for about 14 hours of actual work on and off.

Some believe this will pull some people away from regular Macs, but as of making any splash in the world of portable computers - I personally don't think so. The thing IS cool, but taht's it for me.

@plintus: you seem to be the resident iphone expert, so I have a question. Is the product even available outside of the USA, and if it is, can you just use it along with any network/phone provider, or is it necessarily tied to one North American company or another and their plans? I looked around earlier today - but not nearly hard enough - and the answer eluded me.

@plintus: you seem to be the resident iphone expert, so I have a question. Is the product even available outside of the USA, and if it is, can you just use it along with any network/phone provider, or is it necessarily tied to one North American company or another and their plans? I looked around earlier today - but not nearly hard enough - and the answer eluded me.

AFAIK iPhone is tied to a certain company and their plans in Europe as well; carrier varies depending on the country, I think it's T-Mobile in Germany and Orange in France; I think UK's Vodaphone has got it as well; I wasn't tracking European releases, but my feeling is that it should be available all over the place shortly.

However, there are software unlocks for earlier firmware versions which will allow you to use pretty much any SIM card in your iPhone (not just exclusive carrier's), BUT there's a very high chance of that unlock will be rolled back as soon as update for iPhone comes out (and there were quite a few since last June), so unless there's a quick update for unlocking software - you are stuck with unactivated device on your hands (can't use anything on it whatsoever).

Well, you don't really have to update firmware, but why miss out on cool new features? :) They quite improved it since release (I loved it then, now my love just grows stronger... and stronger =)

i have been in the paper, radio and tv. pwned! :lol:

i bow to your fame. :worship: :p

grats :) what for?

wrote a small thing on a well-being index. but i used a fake name since there also are my own takes on some news and these can't be shown with the name of the bank. in a fun turn of life, these have to do with a talk sarko gave last week, but not on the carla topic. :lol:

Sarko talks about other stuff too? o_O ;)

i am proud to say that i was shown on tv for art. :p
i am proud of you too. hope you used long words in the piece.

i also read that it lasted 5h

Yup :)

plintus said:
Not worth it; SONY had tiny laptops years ago (I've seen one in 2004, I think), it had a replaceable battery, and even on the original one someone managed to pull entire day - the computer was on, but been used from time to time, I think it was holding on for about 14 hours of actual work on and off.

Some believe this will pull some people away from regular Macs, but as of making any splash in the world of portable computers - I personally don't think so. The thing IS cool, but taht's it for me.

I totally agree with you, the thing is certainly most cool, but it's certainly not my type. Ahh and I was really looking forward to the new laptop model they were going to release :cry: . I still go with Pro :cool: .