The new chat thread - now with bitter arguing

last tuesday we had a historic duststorm in my city. 120 km/h winds covered it with an enormous cloud of dust. they actually called it a 'dry hurricane'. panoramic ads were flying around, windows crashed, trees and energy posts were pulled off the ground, there was a big number of car crashes, a few fires were started, a wall actually fell on top of some guy. the lights went out in most parts of the city. official sources said half a million homes lost the power, but other sources number them in 1.5 million (I tend to believe that). in fact, my sector didn't have any power for 54 hours. it just returned this evening. boredom was at max: I read a 400-page book in two days. some other guys were claiming apocalypse was here and held on to their bibles (seriously). let me share with you a few pictures of the havoc:

image29kt8.jpg

image2me5.jpg

image3hf7.jpg

image16es6.jpg

image33oy9.jpg

image30eb7.jpg

that was scary. nothing like it had ever happened in the entire registered history of the city.

^It also has a chat thread. Which is intended for...well, chat.

@QRV: We've had 2-hour power cuts every day for about two-three weeks now, because of national strikes. The trash hasn't been picked up during this period either (even though we had carnival in between, which means massive amount of trash). Maybe i should take some pictures, if the stench lets me get anywhere near.

^ I think you've been on this forum long enough to know it has a photo thread, in fact its on the first page

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/dark-tranquillity/166667-new-pic-thread.html

you probably have too much dust in your eyes to see the obvious :err:

You seem to have some serious memory problems. Just tell me, how many times have you been told to drop that retarded armchair moderation? you cling to it with such persistence, like a fly to some dog shit.

@QRV: We've had 2-hour power cuts every day for about two-three weeks now, because of national strikes. The trash hasn't been picked up during this period either (even though we had carnival in between, which means massive amount of trash). Maybe i should take some pictures, if the stench lets me get anywhere near.

Man, that sucks (in every sense of the word). The pics should be impressive. Any hope of solving that problem anytime soon? or do the sides share laroque's stony stubborness?

@QRV: Well, they're trying to oppose the pension/insurance reform bill, but as the newspapers say it passed yesterday in the parliament. And i just read that the strikes will stop for the next couple of days, which means i might not manage to take some dirty pics (dammit).
I'm not quite sure what will happen from now on, i'm still trying to figure it out from the online papers, cause i read a hint that there's a week's time before the President signs the bill, which would render it active. In any case i think the opposition will continue in one form or other, but it probably won't affect the citizens as much.

Wow. Sounds like you had a hell of a time QRV. Glad you're OK, at least - but that sounds somewhat frightening, and weird considering its dry.

@Siren, per the pics from the other thread: I'm surprised nobody's thought to burn the trash yet. It would keep it from smelling (though it might be illegal and its generally harmful to the environment depending on what kind of trash it is).

Happy Easter all, even though I'm a heathen and don't practice or believe in Christianity, but that's for another thread...

@DoC: What are you talking about? There's a huge pile of trash nearly in every corner (or at least where there's bins), that's just two big ones i came across. And it's the center of the city. You would have 300,000 people choking in smoke, not to mention lots of houses, shops and cars burning down along with the trash. Ahhh, i see, it's your heathen plan to burn down us Christians! :p

@Siren: :OMG: those pics are impressing indeed. have this been solved yet? man, I bet the smell will stay for quite a bit of time after they pick up the trash.

@DoC: yeah, it was very frightening, specially because the wind fueled this forest fire which was nearby, threatening to invade the city. fortunately, it rained afterwards, so it's been controlled now.

@Siren: You got me. :p My mistake, I thought it was more localized (like only your part of your city/town), which was stupidity on my part. I'm still surprised somebody hasn't gotten really angry or frustrated and decided to bury it (or burn it, as aforementioned). Best of luck avoiding the stench.

@QRV: Glad to know things have gotten better. It does sound really frightening and strange, but the weather nowadays is terrible regardless. Hard to predict, and more and more extreme. Still glad to know everything has settled (hopefully) at least.

@QRV: They started picking it up the day i first mentioned it, and they said there would be double shifts, but such an amount of trash clearly takes many rounds. When i went for pics one of the huge piles had vanished, and the general plan was for cities to be clean till tomorrow (national holiday with parades and stuff), so i'm confident that it must be a lot better by now. I think the smell generally goes away together with the trash and a bit of road-cleaning, plus we had plenty of rain today which must have helped things. By the way, i think it's noteworthy that even such a stench can be ignored/get used to by our brain, cause after the first couple of minutes i couldn't smell anything even though people kept making horrified noises while passing by. :p

Strong winds scare me, and forest fires are horrible. I'm glad everything seems to be ok for you.

@DoC: The strike was on a national level, so i imagine most of the cities had a similar problem (perhaps only the biggest ones on the same level). What really did it for us i think was the carnival, cause we have the biggest one in Greece, with thousands of visitors. It always leaves the city in a mess, but everything gets cleaned overnight. This time though you could find broken glass on the streets for weeks afterwards. Where i live it wasn't that bad, mostly because there's a lower population density, plus everyone was sensitive enough to keep their trash at home throughout the strike. It is really frustrating especially for those who live or have businesses downtown, but imo there's a few reasons why noone would do anything about it or really complain: a) the reason of the strike is understood by everyone as it touches everyone (for a couple of days everyone was on strike), b) the power cuts caused by the strike of those wroking in the energy field (which is a monopoly) were much more frustrating and damaging, c) if someone set a fire, the fire department would intervene and put it out and possibly have him/her arrested, d) noone would want to actually touch the trash if they were to bury it (not sure if it's legal either, and how would they carry it and where), so what better than to leave it for those who get paid to deal with it.

Anyone in here a hockey fan?

I can speak for myself and probably Nikki (see the concert thread) that we're both pretty big Flyers fans. I'm praying they get in, and as of right now *knock on wood* they're in good shape.

You have a team?

@Siren: Sorry for the long time in between replies, but you did a damn thorough job of explaining it so I don't have much to reply. Just that I hope it gets handled soon for your sake. I suppose I'm grateful for regulated utilities :p.

I can speak for myself and probably Nikki (see the concert thread) that we're both pretty big Flyers fans. I'm praying they get in, and as of right now *knock on wood* they're in good shape.

You have a team?
Black and Gold baby!!

bruins.gif

Looks like we're tied for 7th right now. All I ask for is to see the B's in one round of playoff hockey (even though it'll probably be against those effing Habs.)

Anyone in here a hockey fan?

Hockey playoffs = The most wonderful time of year

*does pirouette*

heh you're the only bruins fan actually excited, since they might only squeak in and will get stomped by montreal or pittsburg

=)

i like the wings, we'll either go all the way or lose to the 8th seed in the first round, there's no middle ground lololol

btw, I still have Plintus's socks on :lol:

That's the only thing you'll be wearing in my house.

Ahahaha, what a night :lol:

Reading Nuclear Blast catalog (in German) with Mein Kampf intonations gangsta rap style - I won't soon forget that.

Back to Lady Briere now that he's hot again? :p

Flyers are *knock on wood* probably set if they can at least get points from the next two of three, if not win two of three. I'd like to see them hop the Rangers in the standings. Boston's still in it, and so is Buffalo (not for long - :yuk:)

Still, its been an entertaining end of a season.

nah, I put that there before he got hot again, you know that.