The New Dominion (final mix comes near)

Tym_ex

Tymon
Dec 30, 2005
The Netherlands
www.exivious.net
Hello dear Sneapers!

As some of you might know from another thread in this forum I'm working on a production of a new band called The New Dominion. I'm now in the final mixing stage, I'm planning on making the final mixdown this weekend so I can use some seriouss suggestions, tips, tricks!! Anything is welcome! Thanks in advance!

http://student-kmt.hku.nl/~tymon/TND/TND - nr3 - mix 1 - 22 feb.mp3

For those who are interested, for the guitars we used an Engl Powerball with Engl cab and Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier with a Marshall cab. Quad tracked with one SM-57 between on and off axis.

Sounds very clean and very present! Love the guitar tones!
I would just personally like to hear more bass drum and toms since they seem a little lower in the mix.
But yeah thats just me and i dont know anything, so good job!

There's something with the snare... sounds a bit "plastic". It's something with the low mid that overpowers the "crack" in it. Otherwise there's not much to whine about. The ride's a tad high, the clean vocals should come up a bit. Wait...gotta play it again...Kick a bit higher, or maybe 2 db gain at 80hz and 1,8khz to get the thump and click. Yes, clean vocals up. When you turn the volume down, the last thing you should hear, is the vocals, then the level is good. The vox under the solo, is...fighting for the space w. the solo. Run the vox or the solo (the least important) through a stereo-thingy (chorus, rotator) to get it in place....

Whoa, I'm getting carried away here, sorry ;)

Like everyone said!! sounds pretty awesome and clear! were are these guys from?

And i do think some carefull delay could enhance the cleanvocals somewhat, they useally need abit of a "glassy" quality/sound to it.

TheDude, thnx for all the tips! I will go through them all. The snare is triggered (as a last resort because the acoustic snare didn't have that TAK sound in it) I think that causes the "plasticness". I'll try EQing the trigger sample a bit more.

Seizure, thnx! [dutch] Ze komen uit Tilburg. Ze doen ook mee aan de metalbattle waar ze net de 1e ronde van hebben gewonnen. [/dutch] I agree on the delay, there is already a 6 tap delay on there, I can turn it up a bit.

Man, this sounds amazing! Super clean, clear, professional sounding! Loving the gats, but especially love the drumsounds. Any chance on sharing that snare sample, or detailing your recording chain?

The band is really good, too. Nice blend of a lot of elements.

Thnx man, really appreciated!! We made a clean drum recording of the entire drumkit so I could sample it later on. With 10 to 15 velocity layers per snare, toms and so on. When the mix is done I will share the samples here.

hey i love the band also!!

do they have a website or myspace?

the only thing i dont dig is the snare in the new mix ... sound like plastic wood lol

cool band!