The new Edguy album!! Edguy's metal days are over!!

Man, some real dislike for Rocket Ride. Personally, I love the album. I do think that Mandrake was their peak so far, but the albums since have all been worth listening to.

I wasn't too impressed by the first single, but it probably won't stop me from getting the album.

Two comments:

1) On Rocket Ride. I liked it. It didn't blow me away the way past Edguy albums did, but it was fun. Like I said, Tobias can write hooks like few can. That means the music will always be enjoyable unless you just have to have it be heavy.

2) On the difference between types of power metal: I'd always heard bands like Gravedigger and Metal Church described as "US style power metal" while Edguy and Stratovarius and Helloween were described as "European power metal". The European variety has more positive lyrics, more symphonics and keyboards, and more hooks, while the US version is closer to thrash, with less melody, darker atmosphere, and heavier bottom end. I also notice that the US style bands tend to think a chorus is screaming the same four words over and over, while European bands take a more hymn-like approach to choruses.

On the difference between types of power metal: I'd always heard bands like Gravedigger and Metal Church described as "US style power metal" while Edguy and Stratovarius and Helloween were described as "European power metal". The European variety has more positive lyrics, more symphonics and keyboards, and more hooks, while the US version is closer to thrash, with less melody, darker atmosphere, and heavier bottom end. I also notice that the US style bands tend to think a chorus is screaming the same four words over and over, while European bands take a more hymn-like approach to choruses.

Exactly. Well said!

wrong

Snow Patrol
Coldplay
Bloc Party
Arctic Monkeys
Franz Ferdinand
etc

They all suck, but they're all European. Being from Europe doesn't automatically mean they won't be successful on mainstream radio here.

Coldplay I can understand. Franz Ferdinand had a "one hit wonder" a couple of years ago. The others I haven't even heard of!

Goes to show that I don't listen to mainstream radio much anymore.. the iPod gets used more and more... :)

I loved Rocket Ride.
It is the album that made Edguy one of my favorite bands, before that album I was not too big a fan.
But I have not heard the new album in its entirety, I can saw I was not into the one song I heard.

Regardless though I think they will remain one of my favorite artists.
I managed to forgive Metallica for Saint Anger.:ill:

wrong

Snow Patrol
Coldplay
Bloc Party
Arctic Monkeys
Franz Ferdinand
etc

They all suck, but they're all European. Being from Europe doesn't automatically mean they won't be successful on mainstream radio here.
You forgot that band that had the hit "Wonderwahl" or whatever it was. They actually thought they were the second coming of the Beatles and said so in interviews. I think I'm purposely blocking their name.

"You're my Wonderwaaaaaaaaaahl." God, I hated that song.

As for Rocketride, it was definitely not my most favorite Edguy release, but I liked it a lot and still listen to it when in the mood for something "lighter." Looking forward to this next one from what I've heard so far. I don't care if it's not as heavy as prior stuff. Edguy is always fun and I love Toby's voice.

Heh, yeah I thought about including Oasis, but their biggest hits were from 15 years ago. The bands I listed are much more relevant for the past 2-3 years.
God they're so bad!!!

Gotta toss in a happy comment for Silverchair, as I saw their first-ever US show, here in Atlanta (actually Doraville). Excellent show, what I saw of it. (I was working local crew.)

Back on track. Good album with a nice 80's Hollywood vibe with a few Dickinson bits thrown in for good measure. Love to see the band live at some point.

Well I never thought I'd see the day when I'd see a comment on this forum about my hometown heroes (insert heavy sarcasm here) Silverchair.

Why the sarcasm? As I hazily recall, they won an all-Australia band competition, to much surprise since at the time they were relatively young. Good, energetic and crowded performance here, too. (It was past sold-out, at a 5,000-capacity warehouse, part of the annual NAMM convention.)

Well if ur from here, unless ur 15 and female, most people don't like them. Tall poppy syndrome. Its the Australian way.

The new Edguy is very good IMO. Sure its no Vain Glory Opera, Theater Of Salvation, or Mandrake but do you really want it to be? I think the songs, although in a more hard rock vein than power metal, are very well crafted and performed. Isn't the whole idea of music to go forward and not backward?

No...don't wanna another VGO, ToS, etc. ...but when you fairly abandon the genre that defined you & got you where you are...at some point everybody starts thinking...sellout. Especially when there's better hard rock bands out there to begin with.

The new Edguy is very good IMO. Sure its no Vain Glory Opera, Theater Of Salvation, or Mandrake but do you really want it to be? I think the songs, although in a more hard rock vein than power metal, are very well crafted and performed. Isn't the whole idea of music to go forward and not backward?

Some people think that hard rock is a step backwards and power metal is a step forwards. Not necessarily my opinion though.

I like the new album. Like you said, it has a hard rock feel to it. Not that's a bad thing IMHO. Just a softer more approachable Edguy, I guess.