the new football (soccer for usaians) thread

Ebbene si'. Se lo sei anche tu questo spiega un po' meglio perche' tu fossi dov'eri, l'anno scorso. ;)

But let's not derail the thread or speak in tongues like vile demons!

Well, no, speaking like a vile demon is not ma scusa, sei italiano?, but rather oziosa puttana, levati dal cazzo. :lol:

another italian here - born and bred in the merry countryside around Torino, normally residing in Rome, now in Berlin and soon to be in Arlington, VA, even if silly people keep on trying to book me into hotels in Arlington, TX. as if i had anything to do in bloody Texas of all places.

What I know in Italian:
Salata mista
Frutti di mare
Grande cazzo :Smug:
buon giorno
grazie, prego
uno, due (I can count till two, awesome)

Ebbene si'. Se lo sei anche tu questo spiega un po' meglio perche' tu fossi dov'eri, l'anno scorso. ;)

But let's not derail the thread or speak in tongues like vile demons!

Certo che lo sono, abito in Val di Susa..tu ora?

Ok, you're right let's not offtopic although it sounds strange to speak to you in English! :loco:

Btw I did not understand completely what you said about Torino in the previous post..

Well, no, speaking like a vile demon is not ma scusa, sei italiano?, but rather oziosa puttana, levati dal cazzo. :lol:

another italian here - born and bred in the merry countryside around Torino, normally residing in Rome, now in Berlin and soon to be in Arlington, VA, even if silly people keep on trying to book me into hotels in Arlington, TX. as if i had anything to do in bloody Texas of all places.

Wow, the third one from the same topic! Which area near TO did you live in?

And, if I can, what's your job? I see you travel so much! It seems like you studied languages or something! Ah, what state is VA?

Lurida puttana succhiami il cazzo sarebbe davvero "vile" :lol:

Wow, the third one from the same topic! Which area near TO did you live in?

And, if I can, what's your job? I see you travel so much! It seems like you studied languages or something! Ah, what state is VA?

Lurida puttana succhiami il cazzo sarebbe davvero "vile" :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Didn't study languages - well, did for fun, not work. I am actually an economist.

Oh, give it time and it will come. No offence meant to those who love football/soccer, but the worse the living conditions for the population are, the longer and harder they're going to party next time the team wins something. Anything.

that's meaningless. the only reason why people celebrated so much is because Italy didn't win this competition since 1982, and France beat us both in the France 1998 WC and in the Euro2000 Cup, so it was mainly a matter of "revenge" against France.

It's not like Italy has such bad conditions for the population..u know.. it's not Norway, but it's not Nigeria either.

MP-AKK said:
Not since after the World cup.

It's debatable if he'd make the team these days since Sweden somehow during the last year or so managed to build up a number of high classed strikers such as Markus Rosenberg (Werder Bremen), Johan Elmander (Toulouse FC), Marcus Allbäck (FC København) and Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Inter).
Thanks for the info. But haven't Ibrahimović and Allbäck been there for quite a while? Sorry, but your "during the last year or so" confused me...

Jud said:
me neither but they suck so it was worth trying to beat Brazil with them
Hahaha, yes... :D My brother loves taking horrible teams and winning the cup with them. It's funny when he takes an african country and then plays against a european, asian or american team with an african player (like Émile Mpenza, who was born in Belgium but has/had african parents). He goes insane and tries to injure the player because "he should be playing in an african team". :D I prefer teams who at least make it regularly to world cups. ;)

Jud said:
yeah but those country are bigger than Belgium (exeption of the Nederland, it is not much bigger...) so there are more chances to find some better players. Belgium is a really small country, and for a small country, i think the results they made were OK. But since 5 years they started to really suck, and now i dont even remember having seen them playing so bad since i can remember watching football...
I don't think it has much to do with the size of the country. Take China, USA, Canada and Russia, for example. The only decent team from those four is Russia, and they're nothing special. Now take Holland, England, Uruguay, Italy... They're much-smaller countries, and they're at the top of the world. (I didn't mention Brazil or Argentina because they're considerably-larger, but in the majority of cases good teams are small or mid-sized.)

that's meaningless. the only reason why people celebrated so much is because Italy didn't win this competition since 1982, and France beat us both in the France 1998 WC and in the Euro2000 Cup, so it was mainly a matter of "revenge" against France.

It seems to me they would have celebrated just as hard under different circumstances, because the media seem to come up with new reasons anyway. I don't have much against celebrating, though, nor I believe that it's completely unjustified.

It's not like Italy has such bad conditions for the population..u know.. it's not Norway, but it's not Nigeria either.

We-e-ll... A slim wallet is easier to forget when you feel you've accomplished something otherwise. For me, it's more about disapproving of the means we/they choose to respond to the economic discomfort than deprecating the discomfort itself. It's certainly pretty tolerable in comparison, but the emotional response of looking for shelter in celebrating public events is still off, in my opinion.

i think that the problem in Belgium in the last few years is that a lot of teams imported players form, for example, Africa that are not much better than our players because it is cheaper for them to buy african players that to have good infrastructures and good trainers for training young people from Belgium.

Belgium is curently building a brand new training and formation center for its national team, something really cool, but the work has been stopped for a whiel because the workers didnt get paid in time... so they didnt want to continue the work for a while, until they received alkl their money. I dont know if they finally got paid or not.
The inside looks quite cool

Hahaha, yes... My brother loves taking horrible teams and winning the cup with them. It's funny when he takes an african country and then plays against a european, asian or american team with an african player (like Émile Mpenza, who was born in Belgium but has/had african parents). He goes insane and tries to injure the player because "he should be playing in an african team". I prefer teams who at least make it regularly to world cups.

With my brother, we used to tackle the adverse attacker with our goalkeeper in the "small square" (i forgot the real name of this area...)so that the keeper would get a red card, and then replace a player to have a new one and do this again. I dont remember in which football game, there was an option like "blind referee" so he wouldnt see any fouls... that was also funny to use, so you could push the "dangerous foul" button without getting a red card, and injure badly the other team...

i think that the problem in Belgium in the last few years is that a lot of teams imported players form, for example, Africa that are not much better than our players because it is cheaper for them to buy african players that to have good infrastructures and good trainers for training young people from Belgium.
But isn't there a limit (i think it's 3) to the number of foreign players that can play in a national team?

Belgium is curently building a brand new training and formation center for its national team, something really cool, but the work has been stopped for a whiel because the workers didnt get paid in time... so they didnt want to continue the work for a while, until they received alkl their money. I dont know if they finally got paid or not.
The inside looks quite cool
It does look pretty inside.

the "small square" (i forgot the real name of this area...)
Ummmm, "penalty area", i think..

With my brother, we used to tackle the adverse attacker with our goalkeeper in the "small square" (i forgot the real name of this area...)so that the keeper would get a red card, and then replace a player to have a new one and do this again. I dont remember in which football game, there was an option like "blind referee" so he wouldnt see any fouls... that was also funny to use, so you could push the "dangerous foul" button without getting a red card, and injure badly the other team...
:lol: Ah, my brother is always tackling every player on the other team and then denies having fouled them (he claims that the other player just jumped in the air to make the referee mark a foul)... And then there was a really-old game (it was for NES) in which there was no referee at all, so you could kill the other team and nothing would happen, but there were only five players on each team (plus the goalkeepers)... Which FIFA game(s) did/do you have?

It seems to me they would have celebrated just as hard under different circumstances, because the media seem to come up with new reasons anyway. I don't have much against celebrating, though, nor I believe that it's completely unjustified.

We-e-ll... A slim wallet is easier to forget when you feel you've accomplished something otherwise. For me, it's more about disapproving of the means we/they choose to respond to the economic discomfort than deprecating the discomfort itself. It's certainly pretty tolerable in comparison, but the emotional response of looking for shelter in celebrating public events is still off, in my opinion.

what economic disconfort? :err:

we're not all rich. I am not rich. But I wouldn't call "economic disconfort" not being a millionnaire, if that is what you mean. Even USA or Sweden then has "economic disconfort" to some extent..

I don't think football can be considered an alienating drug to prevent people from facing the harsh - really? - reality.. :)

But isn't there a limit (i think it's 3) to the number of foreign players that can play in a national team?
i was talking about the team in the championship.
Now in our national teams, there are 2 players that i know have a double nationality.

Which FIFA game(s) did/do you have?

it was one for Playstation 1 ... i dont remember for sure since i sold it with my old ps1 whe i got a ps2 for free by my uncle. I think it was FIFA 2000.
I had another game where you are a team manager... but i was always a bad one, and my team always got bankrupted...

Thanks for the info. But haven't Ibrahimović and Allbäck been there for quite a while? Sorry, but your "during the last year or so" confused me...

100% correct.

Ibra and Allbäck have been a part of international football for a long time. Used to be Larsson-Allbäck in the starting line-up during the early days of Zlatan's career but as things progressed, Allbäck usually remained on the bench and he's now 34 yrs old - hence no man for the future.

However, apart from the three already mentioned, usually there has usually only been say one Swedish forward of decent quality available. In the 2002 World Cup the only other forward who made the squad was Andreas Andersson who internationally was just that - decent at best. And in the Euro 2004 the only forward except for the trio was Mattias Jonsson who is more of a winger.

In other words, as especially Elmander and Rosenberg both took a major step forward during the last season, it's no longer a simple question of who'll be the one forward on the bench, it's a bit more refined and exciting. Due to this wider range of goodies, Henrik Larsson, oddly enough considering his history of great performances, is not that missed in the Swedish national team of today.

And from a Swedish perspective, I recognize the problem that Dark_Silence mentions with foreign players of usually not that spectacular quality coming in doing what homegrown players probably could do just as good given the chance. This problem repeats itself cause when someone young and homegrown shows some potential he's often sold to countries like Belgium or more often Holland. Usually this means them (the players) getting more money, but it's likely to also lead to less time out on the pitch in clubs like Heerenveen who hardly offer any spectacular difference in training grounds compared to what Swedish clubs have. But since the Swedish league has pretty much no attraction to anyone outside the country so the money needed for the clubs to stay alive has to be generated by sponsor deals and selling of players. The clubs often sell their gold and then it's back for another lap in the merrygoround, trying to find someone to replace the player they sold.

In other words, it's really hard to generate the consistency that's needed to reach success outside a national level leading to worse and worse results for Swedish clubs once they get the chance to qualify for Europe. Including an abysmal performance of my own team, IFK Göteborg - once a great club even from a continental perspective, who got knocked out in the UEFA-cup qualifying phase by Derry FC. Kudos to them and their superb fans, but ten-fifteen years ago when 50% of the Swedish national team played in IFK Göteborg, they wouldn't have had a chance any day of the week (well, maybe on Sunday morning) even if they back then would have been as organized and professional as they are today cause of the difference in quality. I would say that at least 100 of the best Swedish footballers play abroad. Many of them in Norway and Denmark thanks to more generous tax laws in those countries. Obviously, in a business where your career can be over tomorrow due to injuries and with agents flooding the market, people tend to strive after success as soon as they get the chance. This shows itself in really bizarre career moves, for example, a player in the Swedish league recently signed for a club from Transylvania.

One could argue that the way football has developed the last few years says something about the rest of the society today. From this perspective, football can even be seen as something really educational. There are many interesting books about this, but I'm so not getting started about it (not now anyway) cause I'd be stuck here forever and a day, banging my head against the wall with only me and rahvin posting in this thread.

Jud said:
i was talking about the team in the championship.
Now in our national teams, there are 2 players that i know have a double nationality.
Ah, sorry.

Jud said:
it was one for Playstation 1 ... i dont remember for sure since i sold it with my old ps1 whe i got a ps2 for free by my uncle. I think it was FIFA 2000.
You're lucky. I think all of the FIFA games i've ever had have been world-cup ones (1998 and 2002). Non-world-cup video-games are better because you have more teams and you can create your own cup (and sometimes your own players).

MP-AKK said:
Ibra and Allbäck have been a part of international football for a long time. Used to be Larsson-Allbäck in the starting line-up during the early days of Zlatan's career but as things progressed, Allbäck usually remained on the bench and he's now 34 yrs old - hence no man for the future.

However, apart from the three already mentioned, usually there has usually only been say one Swedish forward of decent quality available. In the 2002 World Cup the only other forward who made the squad was Andreas Andersson who internationally was just that - decent at best. And in the Euro 2004 the only forward except for the trio was Mattias Jonsson who is more of a winger.

In other words, as especially Elmander and Rosenberg both took a major step forward during the last season, it's no longer a simple question of who'll be the one forward on the bench, it's a bit more refined and exciting. Due to this wider range of goodies, Henrik Larsson, oddly enough considering his history of great performances, is not that missed in the Swedish national team of today.
I miss him, and i know a girl who used to post here who also misses him, i'm sure. ;) But i'm glad there are more good players in front these days. Another Sweden-supporter here.

Ah, sorry.

You're lucky. I think all of the FIFA games i've ever had have been world-cup ones (1998 and 2002). Non-world-cup video-games are better because you have more teams and you can create your own cup (and sometimes your own players).

I always found the World Cup 98 game funnier

uno, due (I can count till two, awesome)
I can count till three! Uno, due, tre! :Smug: :p

That's would be FIFA World Cup 1998, and not 2000. You can tackle the referee and do whatever you want, but you'll always get a red card for that. :loco: The option you're talking about is called referee stickness, it has a scale from 0 to 100, I think the default referee stickness was around 80. It's always fun setting it to 0 though. :lol:

I've always found Pro Evolution Soccer better than FIFA, the game-play is much more reasonable. In FIFA, you can just strike the ball from the middle of the field and it gets in - and that's just stupid.

My least favorite football team is Italy, they're all dirty players.