The new Ibanez RGD Series

Dunno what's with all the floyd hate. It's simple enough to just buy a Tremol-no for the guitar, if you like the rest about it except the trem.

Dunno what's with all the floyd hate. It's simple enough to just buy a Tremol-no for the guitar, if you like the rest about it except the trem.

or to shove a wooden block or two to lock the bridge down.

i have tremol-no's in 2 of my guitars and i find no matter how tight i crank both set screws down, it won't lock the bridge down tightly enough to endure any live playing..the need to have the back cover off to access the thing also means those set screws tend to fall out and get lost..

twas a good idea them tremol-nos but better luck next time..

on a more on topic note Ibanez lineups get more and more disappointing each year, along with the constant price increases.

RGD looks nice in white but why did they have to ruin with with those godawful juvenile tick inlays..

if they could bring back the original Edge on selected models why don't they just switch back to the Lo-Pro Edges and add the locking studs - done and dusted.

i'll stick with my 80s/90s RGs for now thankyouverymuch.

Are you sure about that? The RGDs are prestiges and made in Japan. I thought most Cort guitars were made in Korean factories?

Doesn't mean they aren't associated with Cor-Tek (Cort Factory), meaning that there is a probable chance that Cort is using a design from Ibanez for their current lineup. It's not exactly the same as the new RGD's but it's pretty damn close.

I wasn't accusing Ibanez of making Prestige guitars in the Cort factory, either. The design says it all, though...

(edit) I did notice I did say they were made in the same factory...but I wasn't paying attention that the original model in question was Prestige. Ibanez non-prestige are pretty much all made in the Cort factory though, which is what I based that comment on.

or to shove a wooden block or two to lock the bridge down.

i have tremol-no's in 2 of my guitars and i find no matter how tight i crank both set screws down, it won't lock the bridge down tightly enough to endure any live playing..the need to have the back cover off to access the thing also means those set screws tend to fall out and get lost..

twas a good idea them tremol-nos but better luck next time..

on a more on topic note Ibanez lineups get more and more disappointing each year, along with the constant price increases.

RGD looks nice in white but why did they have to ruin with with those godawful juvenile tick inlays..

if they could bring back the original Edge on selected models why don't they just switch back to the Lo-Pro Edges and add the locking studs - done and dusted.

i'll stick with my 80s/90s RGs for now thankyouverymuch.

I agree with much of this. I was digging the 90's lineup also because they used the shitty Lo-TRS trems...which were immediately replaceable with an Original Floyd. I've got 2 that I've done this to, and have been extremely happy with that result.

Original edges are a great option too.

I have been getting more and more disappointed with them each year. I used to be pretty loyal, but I've lost almost all faith in Ibanez entirely. I'm pretty sure my business is going to go to Schecter (Hellraisers!!!) from here on...unless I can ever afford a Stinnet or Gutierrez custom! :headbang:

It also adds friction no matter what so the floyd doesn't really flutter in "free float" (yes I and then my tech did the alignment)....and in dive only you have to be relatively gentle on the release.
I took mine off. It definitely wasn't the "best of both worlds" it was billed as. It just made my guitar do a shitty approximation of all worlds.
I'd rather just let it float.

Whoa! Not surprised though. I think their fit and finish blows. Their paint chips off so easily and their hardware ain't to great.

I'm going Ernie Ball JPMM from now on...
Well, the EB isn't even in the same price range as the stuff that is made in the Cort factory, lol.

It also adds friction no matter what so the floyd doesn't really flutter in "free float" (yes I and then my tech did the alignment)....and in dive only you have to be relatively gentle on the release.
I took mine off. It definitely wasn't the "best of both worlds" it was billed as. It just made my guitar do a shitty approximation of all worlds.

Agreed, buuut...

If you use the allen screws instead of the thumbscrews, and lock it down in hardtail mode permanently, I found it to work pretty well. Otherwise.... the fuck out of my cavity hahah.

The thing that shits me most about the RGD series is not the trem, but the design of the fucking trem itself.
It has a small sustain block which CANNOT be replaced by a larger one due to the fucking shit house design of the Edge Zero.
This is okay if you like to masturbate away with youtube shredder guitar solos and thrash metal riffing, but for people that actually like to hear a note sustain for a reasonable time while soloing, we are pretty much left out, which is why I'm just going to continue using my Edge Pro-7 trem which actually allows for good sustain.

Thats really weird man, I've had none of the issues you've had and I've had mine installed for about two years now, maybe more...

First off, if you feel any friction, then the tremol-no simply isn't installed correctly. I'm not a guitar tech or anything and I installed it myself, then tweaked to perfection in about twenty minutes and only had one issue when one of the pins on the clamp snapped, which Kevan rectified immediately (that was like two years ago).

I don't see myself being gentle at all with this thing and coming from a bass playing background, I am a bit heavy handed with my picking and have had no issues with stability besides that one pin that broke.. and I should mention that the reason it broke was because I had the back plate off of my guitar for a while and somehow or another a metal nut got lodged between the sustainblock and the guitar and I pulled the bar up really fast (oops).

Also, no issues with fluttering at all on my guitar, the only thing that would kill the fluttering would be the friction you mentioned, and like I said, properly installed and tweaked, there shouldn't be any friction.

This thing can definitely take my drunken' daily abuse, so it's definitely road-worthy IMO.

Got the first one in the country given to us for the despised icon tour. Pretty badass, plays awesome. Can't wait to get another one in the next little while. Totally butchered it trying to fit in some blackouts while drunk after a show. Definitely used a drill we found under the stage as a router lol.

88940e69.jpg

@cyril. I dunno man. I set it up and then took it to a tech figuring I messed it up. It felt smooth but wouldn't give the full grand flutter. You would be hard pressed to convince me you don't get a nasty clank if you just let go in in dive only. At the end of the day though it doesn't really matter to me b/c it just isn't that hard to deal with a floyd.

^congrats! definitely post when you get a chance.

@cyril. I dunno man. I set it up and then took it to a tech figuring I messed it up. It felt smooth but wouldn't give the full grand flutter. You would be hard pressed to convince me you don't get a nasty clank if you just let go in in dive only. At the end of the day though it doesn't really matter to me b/c it just isn't that hard to deal with a floyd.

Yeah, I agree it's not that hard, this was my second guitar with a trem though and the first gave me such a headache that I switched to hardtails for about 5 years, nowadays I've got three other guitars with trems and I now that I know how to set them up properly and I'm used to the now so I don't have them blocked or tremol-no'd. I do miss it though when I change strings as it made the process a breeze.

Anyways, OT. These guitars are killer and if I happen to find one cheap I'm definitely picking it up. I actually like the design so much that I got a replacement body for my 7620 along the same lines as this, lol.