The new Pagan's Mind CD

Metal_Camden

Sep 25, 2009
Is freaking amazing....

I am REALLY enjoying it. I don't have time to track a full like song by song review but man its really good...

Pagan's Mind (to me) have seemed to tame down the proggy side a bit for this record. Most of the songs stay in a normal 4/4 and trade the proggy stuff in for MORE new grooves and MORE amazing HOOKS. I had a discussion briefly with Lance on my facebook and I was starting to see how most prog bands sacrifice vocal hooks and just solid 'catch' for making a record musically progressive and crazy.... I think when bands do this you loose a lot with the singer as far as then being able to sing something that will drill its catchy-ness into your head due to un-natural (to the normal mind) rhythms that throw your metal horns and head out of 'bang'.....er....time...

anyways I thought it was shocking that from my ears when this cd first started spinning. immediately there was just normal drumming and fantastic vocals.... this goes on for the majority of the cd.... most of the crazy prog stuff happening in the bridges and solo sections to not distract from the music as a whole during the actual song, and there they were really good!.... which I totally applaud. There are classic Pagan's Mind crazy shit though but this time only used as "sprinkles". even some of the crazy guitar riffing is sill "groove-able" since its in a normal time!!! makes for great thing to throw the horns and headbang too. I would almost consider Pagan's Mind a power metal band more now than a prog band....

or a Power Metal band with prog sprinkles....

either way... fantastic cd. gets a 9/10 for me... maybe even a 9.5

10/10 would be just a few less sprinkles, there are still some crazy parts that kinda distract a bit from me, but ONLY just a few less sprinkles, and that's just me being a dick. hahaha :) but the majority of the cd makes up for all of this and also for any other crazy shit they ever did.....

oh an jorn has some of the best lead guitar tone i have ever heard...and im currently enjoying the almost sonata arctica sounding power metal drum part in the song follow your way... its really nice to see them do something like that :)

wins me over! see ya round town.

I agree with you on almost all points. I think this is an EXCELLENT disc, and I honestly don't mind at all them shedding the DT-worship. Mind you, "Celestial Entrance" is probably my favorite disc of theirs, but this goes in a different, refreshing direction and works very well. "Walking in Silence" is one of my favorite songs of the year, and contains some GREAT down and dirty guitar riffing. Jorn absolutely rules on this album.

I agree with you on almost all points. I think this is an EXCELLENT disc, and I honestly don't mind at all them shedding the DT-worship. Mind you, "Celestial Entrance" is probably my favorite disc of theirs, but this goes in a different, refreshing direction and works very well. "Walking in Silence" is one of my favorite songs of the year, and contains some GREAT down and dirty guitar riffing. Jorn absolutely rules on this album.

!!
awesome!

you know when i first heard the intro riff to that song start i was hoping Sammet would have a guest part somewhere! haha almost had an edguy melodic mid tempo feel to it!

I totally agree with you that they toned down the prog for the 4/4 grooves. Unfortunately that's what I miss most is the prog. This album is almost too straightforward for my liking. It's a good album for sure, better than God's Equation but nowhere near the greatness of Enigmatic Calling or Celestial Entrance IMO. I'd give it a solid 7 or 7.5 out of 10.

And yes Jorn always has a ridiculously amazing guitar tone! :headbang:

Obviously this doesn't have the artistic brilliance of Celestial Entrance, but as a band with a growing following doing a ton of live shows, this direction seems to work for them. It's definitely the most instantly enjoyable album they've done.

Jorn Viggio is quickly becoming one of my favorite guitar players. The guy just rocks PERIOD!!!!! I miss him in Jorn Lande's band.

lol ya i think this new direction will do wonders for themm....

leave the hardcore prog stuff to DT

Looks like I'm in the minority here haha! I agree leave the hardcore prog to DT, but IMO Pagan's Mind were never hardcore prog, but they were more prog than they are now.

Will be in the top 5 cds for me this year. Pagans Mind are one of the best bands going they are in the elite!

It's all about Jørn and Nils, imo. They're all good, but those two are the crux of the amazing PM machinery. I miss the proggyness of their earlier works, but I still love this album. First listen I wasn't entirely sold, but I hit it up again immediately after that and then 2 times back to back for the last 2 mornings at work. Very sold now, very solid. I kind of hope the next one heads back a bit towards Celestial Entrance though.

Also, for me, best song on the album is Live Your Life Like a Dream. Nils just puts so much feeling into the vocal delivery. It really gives the song it's strength to move people.

This CD will not be on my top 5 list for the year.......

It has earned the number 1 slot. I don't care what else gets released this year. It will make that all time top 5 list though.

Okay, question? can your top 10 of 2011 have 3 at #1? I think mine will this year.

1a Eumeria- Rebel Mind
1b Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy
1c Dream Catcher - SoulDesign

Totally agree. Nils' vocals are awesome and Jorn's guitar tone is excellent on this album. I can't stop listening to it.

Okay, question? can your top 10 of 2011 have 3 at #1? I think mine will this year.

1a Eumeria- Rebel Mind
1b Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy
1c Dream Catcher - SoulDesign

The rules were not very clear so please feel free to have a three way tie.