The New Porcupine Tree Album

ethereallights

Fevered Pitch
Jun 9, 2004
Somewhere
Well, on Porcupine Tree's new album, Mikael Akerfeldt contributed his guitar on a track, and contributed his voice on five others. Why didn't he do this with In Absentia. What is your expectations for PT's new album?

I'm expecting it to rule, and my faith in Mikael and his vocals has increased hugely since hearing the Ayreon album. I'm really happy that he is branching out a bit and taking part in other projects. For me, his Ayreon appearances were like a breath of vital, fresh air, as I've been a bit bored with Opeth lately.

Don't forget Opeth Mikael, but please, use those talents of yours to contribute to exciting, new, and varied non-opeth stuff!!

I dont see how it could be a curse. Both are very talented musicians, and for them to contribute negativity to eachothers albums isnt very likely in my eyes. You cant please everyone of course..but thus far the mikael/steven combo has seemed to be a good one in my eyes.

i'm really glad that mike is contributing to the new tree album. steve wilson's been all over the last 3 opeths and i'm glad to see it get swapped back... by the way, i'm one of the strong wilson/opeth collaboration supporters, so maybe i'm biased.

bondcfh007 said:
i'm really glad that mike is contributing to the new tree album. steve wilson's been all over the last 3 opeths and i'm glad to see it get swapped back... by the way, i'm one of the strong wilson/opeth collaboration supporters, so maybe i'm biased.

i am too, i love both of their work a lot

jester00 said:
when is it due out

''Mikael Åkerfeldt recently visited No man studios in Hemel Hampstead/UK to lay down some guitars + backing vocals for the next, yet untitled Porcupine Tree record. Mikael plays guitar on one track and sings backing vocals on another five songs. Album is due for release late this year.

Static said:
I'm expecting it to rule, and my faith in Mikael and his vocals has increased hugely since hearing the Ayreon album. I'm really happy that he is branching out a bit and taking part in other projects. For me, his Ayreon appearances were like a breath of vital, fresh air, as I've been a bit bored with Opeth lately.

Don't forget Opeth Mikael, but please, use those talents of yours to contribute to exciting, new, and varied non-opeth stuff!!

You said it.

I highly doubt he will be doing backing "growls"...i think Steven finds the growls a bit too narrow for the music he writes...and i know hes a fan of Mikael's clean vocals...so if i had to guess...id go with the latter.

I personally think growls might ruin the appeal of Porcupine Tree, and I do not think Steve writes music that incorporates growls. It is possible, someone like Rosie O'Donnel got a show so anything is possible. Plus think about growls on 'Strip the Soul' or 'Gravity Eyelids'. It just doesn't fit.