The new stage outfits

@ The Shinster, you don't get my point...obviously. I asked what would be badass about grenades.

I thinks grenades are not exactly bad-ass in general, so I was wondering what's so cool about them.

FYI, even if they dressed in jeans I wouldn't care as long as the music is good.

except for the fact they´re used in war and injured/kill people...

so maybe we should just keep the discussion on topic ;))

@Andreas
true, I couldn´t care less if they would wear normal clothing, though it´d be also weird at the beginning hahah

I couldn´t care less if they would wear normal clothing, though it´d be also weird at the beginning hahah

Nooooooooooooo !!! :confused: :mad: They go the extra mile to include costumes as part of their extravagant display of entertainment. Costumes can't be dismissed! Doing so would be tantamount to telling Warlord that you don't care what the lyrics mean as long as there are some sort of lyrics . . . or telling Netta you don't care how the accordion sounds as long as she's there wearing one . . . .

It is preferred to melancholically reminisce than to dismiss costumes as purely incidental utilitarian accessorization.

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

ehrm why?
i am there mainly for music and not because I wanna see the outfits (sorry guys n Netta) - I mean, if the music would be as great as it is it wouldnt become better just through the visuals...

i agree that the quality of the music wouldn't change if they played in jeans and t-shirts , but it would definitely make a statement - and it's not "we're warriors!!!!"
i think the costumes are a big part of what the band is all about :kickass:

I think the outfits and warpaint are a great way to create a "stage persona", but musically, they don't need it. It's not like I take them more (or less) serious because they dress a certain way. They've always got a nice humorous "tongue-in-cheek" sort of attitude, wouldn't want that to change for the world. It's just a form of expression that suits them, but it's not THE most important part of their identity, imho.

The new outfits still have to grow on me, obviously, but because I am 100% certain the new album will kick ass, I find the whole discussion displayed here a bit unnecessary. I don't agree with wm_crash about the importance of costumes. The music (+ lyrics) is their vessel to bring across any messages they have, not their costumes. So the parallels you draw are more or less an argument against your own case: the lyrics and music aren't just "lyrics and music", they are the essence. The costumes are just the first impression and visual addition that complete the "package". If they had great costumes but terrible music and/or lyrics, they wouldn't be as successful as they are now, or when it was the other way round (great music but no costumes)

It's a "gimmick" (god, I hate that word) that has helped them stand out and gain attention and if would be weird if they stopped wearing them, but it is (and always should) stay less important than the music. If the new album would suck (it doesn't, but IF) they could lose fans. If they decide to drop the outfits, they won't lose any fans. Only a couple of misguided poseurs perhaps (people who are only in it for the lulz, so to speak), but not the real fans who have supported them since Battle Metal came out (or some even before that). Real fans are in it for the music, and not because the band is wearing outfits.

If you listen to the CD, you're not constantly thinking "omg this band is cool, they dress up every night!", now are you? =P If you're into Cosplay and all that, you are bound to disagree with me. lol.

/end of respectful and friendly rant.

All my argument was that if the band cares that much about it, then it's important to their act . . . as opposed to Iron Maiden for example for whom clothing is really just clothing. When I listen to Turisas, I have their image in my mind and it's part of the whole experience.

cheers,

it's a tool, like I stated previously, but I doubt it's a goal on itself, as you seem to claim.

I never said it wasn't a part of their image - and as we all know: image IS important.

Also, do you experience their music any different now than you did before you ever saw them live (and at that time absorbed their image)? That would mean you can't be a fan unless you've seen them live (or that if you are, you are missing out on the music itself and not just missing out on a good time).

My first exposure to Turisas was YouTube, specifically their appearance on Get In The Ring. I have watched a lot of stuff on YouTube before I got my hands on the albums. When I listen, the live image is in my mind. It was there before I saw them live, and it remained unchanged afterwards. I listen to them and I feel stage presence. I want to mosh but my family will start asking questions, so I refrain as much as I can.

Now, can you be a fan before seeing them live? Of course. Will you be a bigger fan after you see them live? Absolutely. And how does seeing them live affect your experience of the music? Depends from one person to another; for me, it totally connects the image with the sound. I am not sure what it does for others.

So now there is a new sound and a new image that I have to deal with. Some of the things that were set in my mind need to be shaken up. I will let you know of the end result in March after the shows.

cheers,

I really dig the "samurai look". I mean, cool, the "wild children" images were nice, screamy facial expressions and motion images and all, but these are more mature, more solemn and, you know, not so WE CAN KICK YOUR ASS anymore. I like that. Evolution. :)

All my argument was that if the band cares that much about it, then it's important to their act . . . as opposed to Iron Maiden for example for whom clothing is really just clothing. When I listen to Turisas, I have their image in my mind and it's part of the whole experience.

cheers,

Of course the music itself is the most important aspect

BUT

I agree with the costumes being a part of the whole experience. It just gives the fans something more to immerse themselves in, and adds another dynamic to the live experience.
I'm looking forward to getting an up-close look at the new costumes soon on the tour. :D

we can say it make it a kinda more memorable..like Kiss ..is not the same without the make up :p but being loyal as fan outfits can pass...