The new stage outfits

I think Netta looks great, But I miss the fur. And as some post before, Olli looks like a samurai.
I must say I prefeared the old style but this new look isn't bad at all

I truly love the new costumes! Many of you have mentioned Mad Max movies, and I must say it was what came to my mind as well when I first saw the pictures. Now I've also seen the outfits live, and I must say that all the guys look better than ever, but especially Netta! Her new more slim and sexy costume gives credit to her a lot more than the old one.

I also like Netta's new, more ladylike "role" in the band: with almost no paint in her face it's clear that she isn't trying to be one of the warriors anymore. I think it's good, because she always looked a bit too cheerful for that. I love the way she is presented in the new promo pictures: in one of them she is checking her fingernails, and in another she is presented exhausted, being carried by one of the guys. I think it's great that she is now allowed to be honestly a lady. Someone to cheer the men up before the battle, and someone they can fight for...

But don't get me wrong: I don't think women and men should be having such strict roles, and I for example like painting my face for Turisas gigs, but for some reason Netta has always seemed to me like a more feminine kind of figure, for whom the war paints have never suited that well.

Well she really looks great with the new outfit Gosalyn :D and well the attitude of band is still the same XD

Actually, I believe the style s called post-apocalyptic. That's why it brings Mad Max to mind - it's the same art style.

It has nothing to do with vikings, and I can't say I am really fond of them (the new costumes).

While I am a big fan of the steampunk and clockpunk styles, and I really like the costumes, i don't think they have anything to do with Turisas.

That is, unless they decide to change their musical style after this album, and start playing post-apocalyptic music :zombie:

i can only stress that the costumes look MUCH better live, less artificial and more suiting, than on the promo-photos (at least when it comes to the judgement of my eyes XD)

It has nothing to do with vikings, and I can't say I am really fond of them (the new costumes).

While I am a big fan of the steampunk and clockpunk styles, and I really like the costumes, i don't think they have anything to do with Turisas.

That is, unless they decide to change their musical style after this album, and start playing post-apocalyptic music :zombie:
I wonder what post-apocalyptic music would sound like... Is it acturally a genre?

Anyway, I must say I disagree. Turisas hasn't been about vikings all the time. For example, on the whole Battle Metal album there are only maybe two or three songs that can be seen to have some kind of relation to vikings, and the viking "reputation" of the band is mostly made up by the media. Of course, The Varangian Way had this viking theme going on, but on the new album, at least what I've read from interviews, the point of view is wider and the stories of the songs are not meant to be understood only from the historical perspective, but that they could take place almost in any time, anywhere.

I think it's great that Turisas has had the courage to take off the old costumes and do a make-over to a more modern style. It's not good for a band to stick to something old for too long. I'm only excited about the new style and can't wait to hear the new album!

well, music genres are also made up by the media, and not by the bands mostly...so...i care neither about how people call Turisas´ music, nor do I care about how they call their costume style...it is what it is, take a look instead of putting stuff into genres, that´s what I always say XD

^Yeah, you've go to remember that Turisas has only 3 albums and just one had a viking theme. BM was more like nordic paganism/fighting in general. (Remember that the viking culture was much stronger around Norway, Sweden and Denmark, and Finland had mostly something a little different of its own, based on different believes than the Norse gods.)

I'm just curious what the themes there will be after SUAF. :)

Well, I guess I used the term "vikings" wrong. :D What I wanted to say was "old nordic warriors", since, as Kele said correctly, the viking culture wasn't so strong in Finland.
I mean, their songs don't, in any way, give me a feeling of post-apocalyptic themes, or anything that has to do with the post-christian era, for that matter.

Generally, they give me a historical/heathen/pagan feeling. And though I should feel honored, as a Greek, that the latest album deals with the role Finnish warriors played in Greek history, it kinda sucks because that was the worst part of our history: The destruction of our culture by christians :p

By the way, Gosalyn, here's a small sample of post-apocalyptic music (a term the band itself has chosen);)

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, Gosalyn, here's a small sample of post-apocalyptic music (a term the band itself has chosen);)
Wow, thanks, Crucifier! I had no idea that there really was such thing. It didn't sound that bad either. Nice steampunk-atmosphere going on. But still I'm glad Turisas doesn't play that sort of music, no matter what they are wearing... ;)

Some genres make it easy to classify music. e.g. the difference between black and power metal, but the weirder the "sub genres" get, the harder I laugh.
I could start a band and call my music "ritualistic ambient neo-folk zombie-decapitation metal" if I wanted to, and still play a 'normal' style of metal (e.g. black metal) so the whole genre discussion is always in the eye of the beholder and a bit pointless.

BTW, that band Abney Park sounds more like darkwave/electro (I think it's called 'steampunk'?) to me tbh...so I think it's just another sub genre invented by the band to set them apart from other bands like them.

Something funny: Dutch band Thronar coined the term and genre "Battle Metal" sometime between 1998 and 2003, so that's BEFORE Turisas released the BM album. And those bands sound quite different...yet they still both play "battle metal" :rofl: (just shows how weird subgenres can be sometimes)

/back on topic

Yup, steampunk, exactly. Well I don't find it bad that bands (or companies) invent terms to describe their music, but I, on the contrary, find more and more dissicult to describe some genres.

For example Turisas or Ensiferum... Symphonic/Power/Death/Folk/???

Still, I like it because it gives me the feeling that the music I like is more sophisticated than pop :p

pop meant initially popular, and that would make well-known rockbands also pop. kinda.

but please, let´s get back to the topic again. which is: COSTUMES. not music. thanks ;)

You 're right, I'm sorry!

Question for those who 've seen the new outfits live. Do the guys also carry the equipment shown in the pics? Like Jussi's shovel? I know it sounds kinda lame, but it would seem badass to me!

ehrm, no he doesn´t LOL
and I think he preferrs his guitar to the shovel hahahaha XD

...also the rest of the band doesn´t... XD

and neither swords! ohh what a pitty haha
btw someone know the name of the replacement of Hannu? i forget ask him :cry: