The New Strapping Young Lad

Comparing SYL to Slipknot might be the dumbest thing someone could do. While SYL lyrics are not mind blowing or anything, it was just Devin's way to put some humour in his band. It was wanted to be that way, to be dumb and hilarious at the same time. In Slipknot's case, they just cannot write efficient lyrics even if they try as hard as they can. Slipknot's lyrics are the best they can write, while we know Devin can write much more intelligent stuff if he wants.

AsModEe said:
Comparing SYL to Slipknot might be the dumbest thing someone could do. While SYL lyrics are not mind blowing or anything, it was just Devin's way to put some humour in his band. It was wanted to be that way, to be dumb and hilarious at the same time. In Slipknot's case, they just cannot write efficient lyrics even if they try as hard as they can. Slipknot's lyrics are the best they can write, while we know Devin can write much more intelligent stuff if he wants.
I love how "he's being stupid on purpose" is an excuse for creating shit. Why listen to shit that purposely sucks? So that you can feel "different" and "special" because you "get" that it's supposed to suck?

The thing is, I don't give a fuck about the lyrics, even if they are bad on purpose. I just listen to the music and SYL's music, especially on City and hopefuly on the new album, rocks. If you judge a band only by its lyrics, that's your problem. If you don't like SYL music, why should I give a fuck? Go post on another thread, this one was created for those who likes SYL.

Dodens Grav said:
Strapping Young Lad is half-way decent when Devin takes it easy on the Industrial shit and isn't trying to sing melodically.
Agreed.

Actually, I wonder what would happen if SYL improved the industrial stylings and made them contribute to the sound? Touring with Fear Factory could accomplish this. Or having Byron Stroud come back after FF's done touring.

Or get rid of the Industrial influence as they've gradually been doing. The less Industrial the better, in my opinion.

SculptedCold said:
The only good thing Townsend ever did was Terria. Everything else he's done is boring tripe.

this is coming from the guy that likes cult of luna? kinda ironic if you ask me.

Dodens Grav said:
Are you implying that you don't recognize the Industrial overtones rampant on much of SYL's material, and/or the poor attempts of melodic vocals? If so, you suck at comprehending music.

HA! thats pretty much sig worthy. good shit doden.

The lyrics for City were great. Sometimes psychotically biting and ferocious, sometimes maniacally over the top and humorous, usually dripping with sarcasm and always fitting the music perfectly. There was nothing "stupid" about them; they're a hell of a lot more clever than most of craptastic writing that metal bands pass off as lyrics.

Unfortunatelty the self-titled album was pretty meh, it came across as rather contrived and forced IMO - and the lyrics were poor, especially compared to City. City will always stick in my mind as a classic though (in the top 5 releases), but different strokes and all that.

"What you don't understand is where everything's leading
When all of the signs you see still point to overload
As you reach out your hand, a shattered picture's receding
Like tail-lights along that lonesome stretch of broken road

Because you've been to the past and it's just a reminder
A recollection of faces that will never come to call
When you've cut through the mask, when you've been through the grinder
Sometimes you forget that you had ever been there at all

Up here in Room 429
Seems like the world ain't so unkind
I wanna take you to that empty room tonight

In the shadow of doubt, in the crush of an instant
Standing in the rain outside my door hand on your knife
When you reach a brick wall, there is still a decision
Always thought if I had to lose I'd surely choose my life

Up here in Room 429
In a world that's so unkind
I want to take you to that empty room tonight
We'll tell the world outside the door
That we ain't never coming back no more
We're going to stay in here 'till we turn off the night

City breathes so softly, everything is sleeping
I am at the window silently watching
I can see you standing alone against the winter
I can hear you asking, but the streets, they are not giving

Don't look to the ocean, restless in its dreaming
Don't look to the heavens for they will tell you nothing
If living is for learning then dying is forgetting
Once we have forgotten then we can go on living

In a lifetime of hope, in a second of kindness
There is never a doubt that we are born and die alone
From within or without there's no way they can find us
When they knock at the door the lights are on but we ain't home"

-SYL, "Room 429"

"There is no insanity, rather a super sanity
More suited for life at the end of the 20th century
Where everything is art
And everything is trying to express it
Where everything is art
And everything is trying to communicate it...

All intelligent beings sleep the dreaming of dreams
And they've all come up to meet met tonight
Although while in the morning, all their wonder and their
Glory was turned ugly and quite simple
Like a venue when you're loading in gear

Sexuality, eroticism in asexual persuasions
Man or woman, makes no difference in the outcome
No fashion, no tolerance for stupidity or ignorance
..."adidas" or "the arch deluxe"...
And time is now an object

Oh my fucking god...
Oh I'm fucking god...
And I'll dream this into becoming real

And until such time that you can prove me otherwise
I will continue with my agnostic travels
Until I've found a place that dreams with me...
...a place that feeds on my routine"

-SYL, "Oh My Fucking God"

Cynical said:
I love how "he's being stupid on purpose" is an excuse for creating shit. Why listen to shit that purposely sucks? So that you can feel "different" and "special" because you "get" that it's supposed to suck?

Your actually a fucking idiot

anonymousnick2001 said:
Hmmm...I see.

AsModEe, more or less industrial this time?
I would say less industrial, but the vibe is still there. It's certainly not as obvious as it was on Heavy like a really heavy thing. You could always check for yourself! There's a link somewhere to download " Shitstorm ". On their official site probably.