The News Thread

@rms: Eastwood was the director. Shouldn't he know what it's supposed to be?

IMO if you're going to be nationalist just do it. "We're going over there to kill people for the benefit of our country" Don't make excuses, just do it. Or don't do it and keep the moral high ground attitude. What gets me is this country tries to have both. Not a problem with either, but quit trying to have it both ways.

Something like this. I wouldn't say I don't have a problem with the former, but I have a much bigger problem with doing it and not owning up to it by claiming the latter.

Okay, so take beauty for an example; everyone has their own perceptions of what constitutes an attractive person, or a good book, or a good song, etc. In this sense, beauty is relative, but no absolute standard of beauty exists. It's not as though you can go to an internationally acknowledged museum and ask to the see the Paris Metre of Beauty Itself. "Beauty Itself" does not exist, just as "Heroism Itself" does not exist.

Well if one values military service and their deaths a heroic act, then wouldn't memorials serve this?

@rms: Eastwood was the director. Shouldn't he know what it's supposed to be?

Well he's like 96, and in my opinion, this film was made to be a cash cow right wing driving film. The Hurt Locker exposes PTSD/war time craziness way more than this film, so there's no way American Sniper did more or the same amount.

It's interesting that he changed details from the book. Kyle didn't join because of 9/11, he joined after some diplomatic attacks in 98, apparently. He also joined when he was like 24, but the movie has him joining at like 30. It all fuels a narrative, in my opinion. "The American who sees his country being attacked must enlist and save freedom and christianity etc etc."

Jeez.

It feels like all of the current threads are just TechnicalBarbarity being a fucking idiot.

To keep this post thread relevant, some news I just saw on the front page of the Guardian's site

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/29/afghans-lives-in-peril-unexploded-bombs

Eat a dick you fuckin' faggot.

Okay, so take beauty for an example; everyone has their own perceptions of what constitutes an attractive person, or a good book, or a good song, etc. In this sense, beauty is relative, but no absolute standard of beauty exists. It's not as though you can go to an internationally acknowledged museum and ask to the see the Paris Metre of Beauty Itself. "Beauty Itself" does not exist, just as "Heroism Itself" does not exist.

I actually agree with most of this. That is why i said "in my book" in my previous posts. I don't expect everyone to agree on what/who a hero is and isn't ... like you said, everyone has their own perception.

The Hurt Locker exposes PTSD/war time craziness way more than this film, so there's no way American Sniper did more or the same amount.

I'll admit to having not seen the Hurt Locker, but I read several critiques that suggest that while it may exposes PTSD to some degree, it has little adherence to experiences in Iraq.

Ancient star system reveals Earth-sized planets forming near start of universe
A Sun-like star with orbiting planets, dating back to the dawn of the Galaxy, has been discovered by an international team of astronomers. At 11.2 billion years old, it is the oldest star with Earth-sized planets ever found and proves that such planets have formed throughout the history of the Universe.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/01/150127111418.htm

The difference is that Buffalo has a shit ton of space to move the snow. Buffalo is a smaller city, less congested, and has more spacious suburban areas.

Boston is a big dense city, and its suburban neighborhoods are still quite urban in nature; and when you do get to truly suburban areas, like Newton, the roads are still 17th-century narrow. There's just nowhere to put all the snow, and it's still cold so it isn't melting.

Yeah, one that would shift from day to night matched with either the time zone or whatever setting you would like is probably in the not so far off future.