The News Thread

I agree. People like rallying figures though. Same reason twitter blows up whenever someone supports the prog memeplex and you still have teapartiers quoting Charles Heston.

Everyone that puts their life on the line so we can sit here and chit-chat with each other online, sit on our couches and watch tv etc is a fuckin hero in my book, not just Chris Kyle.

But yea, i don't know why they decided to pick someone out and glorify him. That's not what the military is about.

I'm trying to find a clip of where Maher showed the Navy commercial and then proceeded to thrash it.

Well feel free to worship me then :p.

I don't think there is any enabling connection though between someone in a FOB in Afghanistan and Ultimate Metal forums.

d4837514_Point_over_your_head.jpeg

Way I see it is military members are no more important to our society functioning than a garbage man or high school teacher so they are no more deserving of praise than you would give any other person for doing their job.

So what was your point then? Looked pretty clear you were stating that military personnel "fight for our freedoms". That is possible, but not generally reality.

Heros get "worshipped" after a fashion, and you put the military into a the hero category. Or is it only active duty you meant and not veterans, reserve, etc.?

Mort is a little off in comparing the military to garbage men, but only a little. Also, the military really isn't a homogeneous suite.

Like i said, if the people who have put their lives on the line (all throughout history) so we can enjoy the current lifestyles of today aren't heroes than i dont know who the fuck are. You guys must be living in some fucking la-la fantasy land.

And i said it flew over your head because of your incredibly stupid and simp'd out "afghanistan=/=UMF" response.

And no one in the right state of mind should "worship" anyone. Worship =/= a very high amount of respect.

Like i said, if the people who have put their lives on the line (all throughout history) so we can enjoy the current lifestyles of today aren't heroes than i dont know who the fuck are. You guys must be living in some fucking la-la fantasy land.

And i said it flew over your head because of your incredibly stupid and simp'd out "afghanistan=/=UMF" response.

So where are these situations of lives on the line to maintain our lifestyle? You are making a "simp'd out" assertion that war = protectin freedums.

As a vet, I think I have a decent perspective on the importance of the military.

Wow, do i need to quote my "flew over you head" post?

If we went to war with another country tomorrow, whos lives are going to be on the line for the safety of others? Mines? Morts?

Countless lives have already been lost throughout history for most of the world to enjoy the current "freedum" of today. And in a lot of other countries, people are still fucking dying just to get a taste of the "freedum" that we all seem to be enjoying so much.

"if the people who have put their lives on the line (all throughout history) so we can enjoy the current lifestyles of today aren't heroes than i dont know who the fuck are."

Exactly which part of that do you disagree with?

Basically, someone who puts their life on the line for others is a hero in my book. And that's that.

So, are the soldiers that fought for Germany in World War II heroes in your book? The Viet Cong? The Republican Guard?

I'm just curious as to your response, but even framing the situation like this misses the point. Creating a form of hero worship around soldiers is nothing more than a distraction from the contradictions of war in the first place. There's nothing righteous or heroic about going to war and fighting for your country, since no country goes to war "for freedom." Heroism is an institution as old as Classical Greece, but it isn't by any means a truth about the nature of battle.

Hero worship makes it easier for a country to support going to war when doing so may not be in anyone's best interest.

You should be asking the Germans, Vietnamese and Iraqis that question. If you're asking the average American than you're going to get a one sided response that's more based off of what's been drilled into peoples heads in this country than facts. If they died protecting their people, land etc than who the fuck are *you* to decide if they're considered heroes or not by their own people?

You should be asking the Germans, Vietnamese and Iraqis that question. If you're asking the average American than you're going to get a one sided response that's more based off of what's been drilled into peoples heads in this country than facts. If they died protecting their people, land etc than who the fuck are we to decide if they're considered heroes or not by their own people?

So, you're contradicting what you said above? Dying for others does not automatically make someone a hero? Is a hero a strictly national phenomenon, or can it cross national boundaries? You seem to be relativizing heroism now...

If we went to war with another country tomorrow, whos lives are going to be on the line for the safety of others? Mines? Morts?

Countless lives have already been lost throughout history for most of the world to enjoy the current "freedum" of today. And in a lot of other countries, people are still fucking dying just to get a taste of the "freedum" that we all seem to be enjoying so much.

Just because the US goes to war doesn't mean our lives or lifestyles were in any danger, and therefore those fighting in those wars aren't fighting for our lives and lifestyles. See: Arguably every war the US ever engaged in.

I also don't see a lot of dying to experience the US lifestyle. Mostly it is to put merely a different tyrant/group into power.

Basically, someone who puts their life on the line for others is a hero in my book. And that's that.

What Ein has said about everything in this vein holds.