The News Thread

Fair enough.

Btw, I found his actual Facebook page, I assume it will be taken down soon. But yeah he definitely posted some insane stuff. He seems to have an affinity for Jim Jones.

http://m.facebook.com/jeremy.christian.581?fref=nf

Can you verify any of the stuff about psy-OPing to slander Trump supporters, or the image where he posted black Santa and told people offended by it to fuck themselves? I try to never use Facebook when possible.

Hah. Wat?

Find something hard. Smash over head.

I'm not even making out that I'm hard, but I took on bout 10 guys once to protect a stranger and got a bit fucked up and got taken in by the police after protecting a woman from some violent cunt.

The world is better place
because some of us are willing to do shit.

lol bullshit you did unless 9 of these 10 guys were just posturing, or unless you're a world class fighter or something. I mean, I don't agree with Krow's sentiments, but if you think it's easy to just find something hard in the middle of a bus while a guy with a knife wants to cut your throat stands three feet away, then lol.

From what I can tell, after he slashed the three white guys, there was nothing stopping him from going over to the Muslim women and doing the same.

They fled the scene. As I would have done too.

I don't really understand why we need to defend him from charges of racism. He's a manifestation of a broader symptom. Going into this fine detail is pointless because, as you've already suggested, he probably wasn't thinking that hard about his actions.

Whatever his state of mind, it seems almost certain that he was susceptible to racist paranoia.

Here's an example of how incoherent his views are.

lWufua1.jpg

Can you verify any of the stuff about psy-OPing to slander Trump supporters, or the image where he posted black Santa and told people offended by it to fuck themselves? I try to never use Facebook when possible.

I just went through his public posts ranging from now to 3 years ago, nothing like that was there but maybe it was something only visable to friends of his. Also nothing in his photos.

But the things he says and shares are very unexpected. Half of it looks like something I might agree with, the other half something @Einherjar86 might agree with.

Many posts about Bernie, healthcare, defunding the military, police being cowards, anti-circumcision, anti-Antifa, funnily enough also anti-fascism stuff, comic books and stuff about prison.

lol bullshit you did unless 9 of these 10 guys were just posturing, or unless you're a world class fighter or something. I mean, I don't agree with Krow's sentiments, but if you think it's easy to just find something hard in the middle of a bus while a guy with a knife wants to cut your throat stands three feet away, then lol.

I got pretty fucked up but I did okay.

My buddy came off worse, which still makes me feel bad, as he really didn't want to be there.

"Deeply progressive" professor at Evergreen State College is being pressured to resign by 50 odd students because he decided to protest against some fucking idiotic event the college has where white students are encouraged to leave the college for the whole day. So a typical racist "anti-racist" piece of crap event.

I'm not really sure why students that do this shit aren't just given warnings and then expelled if they persist being a bunch of retarded useless cunts.

Living and dying can account for the failure and success of mutations in any given species--so I think you're wrong.

this happens often with you. I stated, in the paragraph you replied to, that your definition/usage of evolution is limited to only the death and survival of a specific species. It is not focused or interested in the genetic mutations. With your usage of evolution, is it consistently framed and held against the standard of did it help this species survive and adapt to the current environment? that is it -- Evolution is not only the death and survival, it is the mutation and how that mutation applies to the current environment. Obviously survival, or fitness, is important, but it is not the only thing worth looking at.

For instance, this line directly sums up your view from everything you have said :

not how the environment dictates what evolves and how it evolves.

You have not stated how things evolve. instead, limiting this to a (what I would call) superficial level of "it's all random and that random mutations are not influenced by any environmental factors. so, there is no foundational knowledge to be gained because gene mutation is random and always has been random." By framing it this way, you inherently discourage any research into it because it is random.

You don't even respect my ability to understand basic science

Understand is not the right word, you just aren't exposed to it (for whatever reasons).

Yes. I still stand behind traditional evolution theory when it comes to the idea that the environment drives selection. Just because there are environmental feedback mechanisms intertwined with the genetic code does not change this

When EM said this, it doesn't do anything to challenge our discussion. Environment obviously is the ultimate decider in what genes keep on keepin' on, but it doesn't talk about the theory to what exact level does an environment influence the foundational level of an organism. Is there an effect, how much? etc.

As a white man my skin still tans, but I am clearly not as adapted to a tropical environment with lots of sun as someone with naturally dark skin.

For instance, in this scenario, if I as a certain level of white man-ness reproduced with an equal level of white-ness yet grew up in a climate that does not have white people(Saharan Africa, for instance), would our first generation of children have darker pigment because of our reaction to the Sun throughout our life? Would it begin to show in the 2nd generation, if they reproduced with an equal level of white-ness? That is the question here. I think there would be effect, that eventually, if all of our children did not reproduce with darker mates, there would be an adaptation of our pigment -- one that is darker to help shield the damage from UV rays. And that adaptation would be driven by the fact the sun beat our ass through X amount of years.

EM acknowledges that the science isn't here to reject the conventional theory, but that isn't because there has been exhaustive research that shows it is wrong, it's that we just don't know a god damn thing about organisms on that micro of a level. To act with uncertainty in this field seems to be intentionally ignorant and stubborn towards new ideas. While humans have made huge strides in a lot of fields, the vast amount of unknowns is still paramount. To approach any field with any certainty is so strange to me, especially on a theoretical level.

Genetic variance is always happening, it is always taking place, and different mutations either succeed or fail (i.e. survive or die out) depending on their applicability in a given environment.

You are hung up on the success or fail, which isn't at all in dispute as far as I can tell. All 3 of us and likely Dak and HBB agree why certain gene expressions carry on, but on the foundational level to why they exist is what I have been trying to have a discussion on.

I believe that chance variation can account for all these examples

Exactly my problem with your perspective this entire time. The research is obviously limited at this point in time let alone half a century ago, but you aren't acknowledging that the lack of research and analysis would minimize new theories into gene mutation. Instead, it's just "random," all the time. Which makes sense why previous theorists thought this way, their limitations were obvious, if not to them then definitely us.

See also John Beatty, "Chance Variation: Darwin on Orchids" (2006):

I think using anything by Darwin is fundamentally in another discussion here. Darwin's abilities in his time period are incredibly limited to what this discussion is about. I can't imagine he has anything to offer on this in depth of a level.(and I don't think that excerpt has much value here on the discussion at hand)

To me, of course Darwin would think it's entirely up to chance and randomness when he had no ability to look in detail at anything. I can't imagine any scientist today has as large of a scope as Darwin had back then with less abilities.

Which outcomes occur would depend on which variations had occurred, and in what order.
we see in this quote, that there is no summarization or paraphrasing of Darwin's thoughts on how gene's mutate, simply everything is random.

I wish I read this stanford one first, it basically summarizes everything we've said up to this point within the first sentence;

Whatever the cause of the generation of a variation may be

That's literally the question here: What is the cause of variation? Darwin doesn't address it (within that paragraph), Stanford concedes the contested and likely controversial nature of the question and Marlin responds to Monod to which I am skimming now.

[Monod's conception of chance: Its diversity and relevance today La conception du hasard selon Monod : sa diversité et sa pertinence aujourd’hui (is the name of the article on the UB Libraries via Merlin)]

In fact, the idea of “chance variation”, which is one of the central tenets of the theory of evolution since Darwin, have been put into question on the basis of recent empirical results about mechanisms of genetic mutation (see, e.g., [7]). Thus, it should be defined more precisely in order to deal with attacks against its current validity.

This is nothing but the Darwinian concept of chance variation [4], which is reminiscent of Aristotle's idea of tuché[5], the term “chance” referring to the fact that variation is “non intentional” or “not by design”.3

the 2nd quote seems to be what you are entirely focused on, dispelling the notion that is there some sort of invisible hand guiding all organisms to evolve on a path towards perfection, or something. Neither of us think this exists but it continually comes up from you. (albeit not in this reply)

It is also interesting to note that the idea of “absolute coincidence” is non-committal with respect to the metaphysical issue of determinism or indeterminism, which means, in the case of genetic mutation, that it does not imply to conceive genetic mutations as the result of a deterministic or indeterministic molecular process. At some point, Monod conveys this idea by claiming that the causes of mutation can be deterministic or not (ibid. [1], p. 129).

I also dabbled into one more paper titled, The impact of genomic variability on gene expression in environmental Saccharomyces cerevisiae strains, and from skimming most of it seemed irrelevant but I found this portion important:

It is known that environmental yeasts frequently have a high copper resistance (Shinohara et al., 2003), which is determined by different mechanisms such as the tandem gene amplification of the CUP1 gene (Fogel and Welch,1982; van Bakel et al., 2005; Warringer et al., 2011). This phenotypic trait appeared several hundred years ago in the oenological environment, when copper storage vessels and sulphites began to be used and it became common for vines to be sprayed with copper salts (Mortimer, 2000). Three genes involved in copper resistance or homeostasis were identified in regions flanking the translocations identified in our study. Our results show that the resistance of the six strains to increasing CuSO4 levels was linked to the amplification of the CUP1 copy number in the R008, R103 and P301 strains; however, the translocation involving chromosomes 15 and 16 identified in R008 and EC1118 can also contribute to increased copper resistance (Appendix S1).

the language of the paper is mostly above my level and I have two more laying around, but reading Merlin and the critique/demonstrating of Modon, it seems like the two things have been established:

Historically, "pure chance" has been put forth from at the earliest Greek philosophers and definitely emulated by Darwin. I argue that this is become of their limitations to research on the quantum level, that Modon mentions in the article I referenced above.

Two, I go farther to think that since everything (I can think of) on Earth has a mutual exchange during interaction(tit for tat, I guess would even further simplify this idea), that since the environment has to on some level force organisms to eat, drink and move about a certain way, that the environment would then infiltrates organisms at the foundational level. While the environment doesn't become an "invisible hand," it would, in my estimation, narrow the broad spectrum of available genetic mutations. IE a non-flying organism would not genetically mutate flying abilities in an environment that does not encourage it, or the style of beaks from the previous discussion. Or non-oxygen breathing land creatures.

Also, we know as residents of this area of the effects of Love Canal, to which I understand that consuming poisons via water fundamentally alters the genetic level. Lead in Flint I imagine is the same kind of thing. These two things I would consider infiltration and neither scenarios seem to create some sort of adapted-human that thrives/survives on lead/toxic waste. `

Reactions: Dak
When EM said this, it doesn't do anything to challenge our discussion. Environment obviously is the ultimate decider in what genes keep on keepin' on, but it doesn't talk about the theory to what exact level does an environment influence the foundational level of an organism. Is there an effect, how much? etc.

You are now talking about the adaptability of an organism. An organism is born with a genome that can survive in a given environment, and may or may not be capable in surviving other environments (there must be similarities). It works to survive based on the genetic information it has received. The environment is very important, what is it exactly you are trying to claim?

For instance, in this scenario, if I as a certain level of white man-ness reproduced with an equal level of white-ness yet grew up in a climate that does not have white people(Saharan Africa, for instance), would our first generation of children have darker pigment because of our reaction to the Sun throughout our life?

Not in the slightest, random mutations notwithstanding. Think of this example: a man gets overexposed to the sun all his life and develops melanoma. This is a mutation that occurred in one of the man's skin cells due to a mutation, lets say it was a p53 mutation (btw, this is an example of an organism that mutated in response to the environment). Since this cancer is deadly if untreated, he will eventually die. In the first case lets say that he hooks up with the white chick in your example and gets her pregnant. Because of where the sex cells are located, the mutation in the man's skin will not interfere with the genetic code in the man's testes, there will be no chance of the child inheriting the p53 mutation. In the second case the man dies before he can procreate, thus ending the quest of his genetic information.

Would it begin to show in the 2nd generation, if they reproduced with an equal level of white-ness? That is the question here. I think there would be effect, that eventually, if all of our children did not reproduce with darker mates, there would be an adaptation of our pigment -- one that is darker to help shield the damage from UV rays. And that adaptation would be driven by the fact the sun beat our ass through X amount of years.

You are misapplying cause and effect here. An actual mutation in skin color would arise in meiosis or reproduction, and would only start to take effect in a population if it is positively selected for in the environment. Since skin color is visual, there could also be social factors involved in this population that promote or deny this change in appearance. This shit happens over many generations, and not from the perspective of a single individual. The white kids in your example wont get black just by living around black. Maybe in a million years they might turn black, but chances are they will assimilate with the native population far before that happens.

EM acknowledges that the science isn't here to reject the conventional theory, but that isn't because there has been exhaustive research that shows it is wrong, it's that we just don't know a god damn thing about organisms on that micro of a level. To act with uncertainty in this field seems to be intentionally ignorant and stubborn towards new ideas. While humans have made huge strides in a lot of fields, the vast amount of unknowns is still paramount. To approach any field with any certainty is so strange to me, especially on a theoretical level.

By this logic nothing is real and shouldnt be discussed. While I am willing to keep an open mind, I definitely have strong opinions in this topic, and no I dont think that "we just don't know a god damn thing about organisms on that micro of a level". The fact is, we know quite a bit. You however know far too little about what is known to make such claims of your theories.

You are hung up on the success or fail, which isn't at all in dispute as far as I can tell. All 3 of us and likely Dak and HBB agree why certain gene expressions carry on, but on the foundational level to why they exist is what I have been trying to have a discussion on.

Certain gene patterns/sequences (like CpG) are more prone to mutation than others. Other SNP regions have been shown to have higher mutation rates due to currently unexplainable mechanisms. Why hot zones exist isnt entirely known, but direct environmental triggers (that trigger associated genes) arent even in the conversation.

Exactly my problem with your perspective this entire time. The research is obviously limited at this point in time let alone half a century ago, but you aren't acknowledging that the lack of research and analysis would minimize new theories into gene mutation. Instead, it's just "random," all the time. Which makes sense why previous theorists thought this way, their limitations were obvious, if not to them then definitely us.

Random chance is a big part of biology and physics alike on the micro/nano scales. This isnt just a ????? sort of random, it is more like chaos theory and just random collisions. Gene replication is accurate, but not 100%, even though the mechanism is theoretically perfect. When DNA polymerases mess up is random.

I think using anything by Darwin is fundamentally in another discussion here. Darwin's abilities in his time period are incredibly limited to what this discussion is about. I can't imagine he has anything to offer on this in depth of a level.(and I don't think that excerpt has much value here on the discussion at hand)

Then you fail to understand the importance of Darwin's work or its case study. By happenstance he stumbled upon the best possible case study of evolution currently known on the planet. Evolution is an incredibly slow process, and to actually stumble upon numerous examples of how similar species evolved is almost unheard of. If anything, your views come from over-idealizing what Darwin uncovered.

To me, of course Darwin would think it's entirely up to chance and randomness when he had no ability to look in detail at anything. I can't imagine any scientist today has as large of a scope as Darwin had back then with less abilities.

lol, Darwin didnt say it was up to chance. He did an exhaustive study on genetic inheritance and proved how Mendelian genetic elements were inherited and expressed. He observed mutations that have already happened (focusing on allelic frequency), and didnt really cover why they happened in the first place. However this is the case study in which this discussion operates, so you cant remove Darwin from evolutionary theory.

That's literally the question here: What is the cause of variation? Darwin doesn't address it (within that paragraph), Stanford concedes the contested and likely controversial nature of the question and Marlin responds to Monod to which I am skimming now.

[Monod's conception of chance: Its diversity and relevance today La conception du hasard selon Monod : sa diversité et sa pertinence aujourd’hui (is the name of the article on the UB Libraries via Merlin)]

the 2nd quote seems to be what you are entirely focused on, dispelling the notion that is there some sort of invisible hand guiding all organisms to evolve on a path towards perfection, or something. Neither of us think this exists but it continually comes up from you. (albeit not in this reply)

Mendel's definition of chance variation was shrouded in confusion. Many mechanisms have been elucidated that support the idea of random chance mutation. There is also recombination, which is a random jumbling of genetic information based on known mechanisms (they react to what they get close to sort of thing). While there is room to suppose that there is another directed mechanism at play here, I see no reason to exercise the thought without more proof atm.

I also dabbled into one more paper titled, The impact of genomic variability on gene expression in environmental Saccharomyces cerevisiae strains, and from skimming most of it seemed irrelevant but I found this portion important:

the language of the paper is mostly above my level and I have two more laying around, but reading Merlin and the critique/demonstrating of Modon, it seems like the two things have been established:

This is some obscure stuff. Maybe you could provide me with working links to this research, or are you using a school library? it seems like interesting stuff, but a lot of the explanation you are looking for lies in a theoretical future. You would need to literally have "evolution" DNA for this purpose, and there are enough mechanisms that introduce variation to the genome to suggest that this isnt the case. Proof proving me wrong would be cool though.

Historically, "pure chance" has been put forth from at the earliest Greek philosophers and definitely emulated by Darwin. I argue that this is become of their limitations to research on the quantum level, that Modon mentions in the article I referenced above.

Two, I go farther to think that since everything (I can think of) on Earth has a mutual exchange during interaction(tit for tat, I guess would even further simplify this idea), that since the environment has to on some level force organisms to eat, drink and move about a certain way, that the environment would then infiltrates organisms at the foundational level. While the environment doesn't become an "invisible hand," it would, in my estimation, narrow the broad spectrum of available genetic mutations. IE a non-flying organism would not genetically mutate flying abilities in an environment that does not encourage it, or the style of beaks from the previous discussion. Or non-oxygen breathing land creatures.

You are trying to sit on the fence between regular evolutionary theory and directed evolution. The environment either has a direct influence by some mechanism, or it doesnt. The ability to adapt and to evolve are two totally different things. Social changes have elevated mankind to a level incomparable to 200 years ago, yet our genetic information is relatively identical. We are all technically living in a world that we werent evolved to live in, but most of us do just fine. We dont individually need to evolve to survive, but if shit hit the fan, those less able to survive probably wont. You would most likely die before you pass on any useful survival traits to your offspring.

Also, we know as residents of this area of the effects of Love Canal, to which I understand that consuming poisons via water fundamentally alters the genetic level. Lead in Flint I imagine is the same kind of thing. These two things I would consider infiltration and neither scenarios seem to create some sort of adapted-human that thrives/survives on lead/toxic waste. `

If the environmental effect on a community isnt strong enough to affect reproductive behavior, then there will be non-selective breeding. Any evolutionary trait evolved out of such a situation would work if it didnt lead to pre-mature death. Again, you are looking at evolution from too small a window.

It appears that the distance between sides in this discussion of genetic evolution is the talk regarding the lengthy speciation process vs the intraspecie variation which could occur rather quickly depending on the rapidity of environmental shifts.

Edit: Actually, speciation could occur rather quickly also depending on the severity and rapidity of environmental shifts. We just typically don't see shifts that severe/rapid.

Last edited:
@EternalMetal I saw your reply but im falling asleep to some hockey so ill try and give it proper attention tomorrow

@CASSETTEISGOD yeah man, rap doesn't make (black) males violent or misogynistic but Trump makes on the fence racist whitey's violent. Lack of logical left seems to be the more appropriate name day by day.