The News Thread

...aaaaaaand that's what my problem is with a lot of you guys here. That that comment is laughable, because you think intellectual discourse is essentially a disposable element of society.

Your problem is you think that "necessary things" is a transparent category. I'd say that intellectual discourse over political responses to climate change, or race relations, are as necessary as bridges.

I think that it's laughable that "discourse" is valuable as a group. Some is, some isn't. Most of what you think is, isn't. Bridges are always more valuable that not bridges.

And discourse is always more valuable than not-discourse.

In fact, infrastructure only happens because of social discourse. That you think the two are extricable is absurd.

And discourse is always more valuable than not-discourse.

In fact, infrastructure only happens because of social discourse. That you think the two are extricable is absurd.

You're equivocating all discourse as infrastructure related and/or enabling. It's not. Discourse can be anti-infrastructure. You're well off-course.

I'm sorry, they're not; but intellectual discourse shapes social discourse. Social decisions wouldn't happen without academics discussing social matters.

EDIT: above was @ CIG

You're equivocating all discourse as infrastructure related and/or enabling. It's not. Discourse can be anti-infrastructure. You're well off-course.

I fucking know that. Can you seriously not understand what I was saying?

Infrastructure develops because of discourse concerning the development of infrastructure. Did I need to spell that out?

I'm sorry, they're not; but intellectual discourse shapes social discourse. Social decisions wouldn't happen without academics discussing social matters.

EDIT: above was @ CIG

I fucking know that. Can you seriously not understand what I was saying?

Infrastructure develops because of discourse concerning the development of infrastructure. Did I need to spell that out?

Infrastructure develops because someone pays someone else to build it. Has every road in history been constructed because academic consensus led to the conclusion that its existence was ethically justified?

Reactions: Dak and The Ozzman
Infrastructure develops because someone pays someone else to build it. Has every road in history been constructed because academic consensus led to the conclusion that its existence was ethically justified?

You need educated people to pay before you can pay them. Coal miners aren't figuring out the best means of supporting traffic across the Manhattan, or how much impact national shipping has on road wear.

There need to be people willing to have conversations about infrastructure as much as there need to be people who build it.

When you said "intellectual discourse" my mind didn't go to a group of technicians doing their best to make sure a bridge won't collapse.

But that's part of it. And how do you think those technicians acquire the knowledge necessary for building modern bridges? You think they don't talk with scientists?

Last edited:
But that's part of it. And how do you think those technicians acquire the knowledge necessary for building modern bridges? You think they don't talk with scientists?

Sure, I'm admitting that my mind didn't take into account a wider scope. Due to the context of you initially talking about intellectual discourse over political responses to climate change or race relations it wasn't immediately obvious to me to also consider technicians and scientists who deal with infrastructural functionality.

You need educated people to pay before you can pay them. Coal miners aren't figuring out the best means of supporting traffic across the Manhattan, or how much impact national shipping has on road wear.

There need to be people willing to have conversations about infrastructure as much as there need to be people who build it.

I hope you realize that academia was limited to something like 5% of the population 100 years ago. A substantial amount of education came through work experience, with the educated being the ones who did the math and engineering to make sure that a bridge or whatever was architecturally sound. As engineering problems have gotten more difficult there are new areas of study that become relevant (like managing traffic flow as you've mentioned) and sure, formal education can help, but that's not academic discourse in the way you were implying earlier.