The News Thread

Herd immunity is the shakiest aspect of vaccine research.

It's really just probability theory. People that cannot be vaccinated for whatever reason are vulnerable because of those who choose to not vaccinate, and while the odds are low for an outbreak, it is still possible.

You can definitely argue that GMO foods and vaccinations are both intended to help the poorest in society. Food "choice" is almost as silly as saying people have a "choice" in not going to college.

I agree, and I'm not part of the anti-gmo crowd. I wasn't aware that we were only talking about the poorest people though.

No it isn't that simple. The actual scientific studies on herd immunity have largely been on populations which do not offer reasonable generalizability. Secondly, the accepted protection from vaccinations wanes so quickly that the majority of the population at least in the US is benefitting neither from immediate nor any possible herd immunity.

Mathiäs;11056858 said:
Because you can choose to eat foods without GMOs without putting others at risk. And, they are completely different issues. I think its reasonable to be anti-gmo and pro-vax or vice versa

You can't choose to eat GMOs if they are banned for invented health fears, which is what many anti-GMO proponents would like to see.

All students should be required to get the appropriate vaccinations at all levels of the educational system. Basically, if our children are going to be spending their days around, and coming into contact with, hundreds of other children daily, then vaccinations are a rational public health factor.

If you don't like it, then home school your child (in fact, most of the people who are against mandatory vaccinations for students are probably also in favor of home schooling).

All students should be required to get the appropriate vaccinations at all levels of the educational system. Basically, if our children are going to be spending their days around, and coming into contact with, hundreds of other children daily, then vaccinations are a rational public health factor.

If you don't like it, then home school your child (in fact, most of the people who are against mandatory vaccinations for students are probably also in favor of home schooling).

This is the best middle-ground imo.

I don't really follow this, so are we talking about tetanus, hepatitis, diphtheria etc. vaccination or seasonal diseases vaccination like flu? Because first one should definitely be mandatory, second one optional.

So? It's DOA in the senate. The house also voted to repeal the ACA 50 times and lo' and behold, nothing came of it. Your tax dollars at work for no reason.

Ted Cruz goes on Colbert's show and dodges answering about gay marriage and claims that the Constitution was not written with the Supreme Court in mind.

Then cites the 10th Amendment but chooses to ignore the balance between the 9th and 10th. He is seriously a joke candidate.

Every GOP and DP candidate is a bad joke, excluding Trump. Trump is hilarious. Ships going down either way, may as well have a laugh while it sinks.

It's pretty clear Trump does not hate women. Dude has married lots of them.:tickled:

Trump and Sanders being front runners says everything about what is wrong with America, but not what is implied there.

Bernie is a hack who hasn't learned anything in the last fifty years except how to milk the position of a lifetime politician. Assuming he is in fact genuine in his beliefs, he is genuinely ignorant, and not in an amusing sense. I saw/read clips from the LU speech. Gagarific.